2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been out this morning and on the way to my destination the Civic was driving me absolutely insane. Every rattle was extra loud and new bits were rattling like crazy. I was rather annoyed as I could hear the rattles over the stereo, which was on somewhere between 22-25 vol at the time.

On the return journey, the rattles were much quieter and back to their normal levels! They were still rattling, but not anywhere near as much, and with the drive of the Civic being so good, I was enjoying myself no end. For a brief moment I even thought about getting it cleaned!

I suppose this sums the Civic up, its a great car with poor build quality that can drive you nuts one minute, and make you love it the next! When its no longer with me, I'm sure it will be one of those cars that's hard to forget, I doubt Honda will be quite so daring again. Any other car will seem very dull after this.

Anyone else feel the same?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Too soon for me to feel quite the same, Wheelie, but I know how infuriating even apparently minor things can be in car.

One of the things I love about my TT, which I think the Civic does too, is give sense of occasion when you step inside - it's simply very striking to behold. It was one of the things that attracted me. Other hatchbacks like the Astra, Golf and Focus are dull inside, though the Astra looks quite nice on the outside in the right colour. And the sportier models mostly look better (though not sure about Focus RS).

This is what makes it memorable to me, I reckon. And if it looks good outside too, like the Civic, then it's worth a second glance as you walk away, which you also remember.

Thinking about your rattles, could what you found this morning be due to a chilly night, followed by a sunny morning? The plastic bits are all stiff and cold early on, but once warmed through they stop making such a racket?

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts

Thinking about your rattles, could what you found this morning be due to a chilly night, followed by a sunny morning? The plastic bits are all stiff and cold early on, but once warmed through they stop making such a racket?
Thats what happens to mine.. When the car warms up..It stops rattling

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I think that doesn't help, but my car does rattle alot anyway, hopefully I might get a break from the noise if we have a nice hot summer. At least when the rattles are a little quieter I can drown them out with the stereo.

·
Blade Runner
439 Posts
I do think you are one of the unlucky few who has so many rattles James. I did have a couple of rattles but Inchcape have been very helpful in sorting them and now its rattle free except for a few CDs in the door pockets that rattle occasionally.

Do you have an idea as to where it rattles from? I remember getting a very slight but annoying humming sound from the door panel. When I told the dealer about this they immediately knew that it wasnt the panel but the mirror housing that was loose and its not made a sound now.

With regards to you volume being on 22-25 !! Damn that is loud !!

·
Blade Runner
439 Posts
Yup more than happy to help and maybe head straight to Inchcape to ask them to sort it out. :)

·
Blade Runner
439 Posts
Yup, they did a good job sorting the rattles in my Civic.
Maybe we should go and test it out on a road where you have heard them the most. If only Amber could speak :) I bet she would have helped a lot.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Search the worst patch of road near you and gun the civic over it :)
The car will now enjoy roads with less bumps and less speed and thus the ratlles will be less, they however will return :D
But i agree with you, if those annoying rattles would not be there, i guess i would like my car even more, driving with the windows open also makes you not hear them, but it has to be sunny and 15+ degrees to keep it enjoyable :)
Yesterday i got this out of my 1.8, 100 km of fun driving and 6.7 l/100 km or 42.16 mpg, the last 30 km i even got 49.5 mpg (5.7L/100km).

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Civ never rattled at all then i asked the dealer to look at my central locking on my first service and its rattled ever since, its going in on Wednesday for a new bumper might have a word with the dealer

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Thats what happens to mine.. When the car warms up..It stops rattling

This might well be so.

But doesn't it make you wonder about those shots of cars being tested in the Antarctic and Sahara?

If they heard the rattles, then they either cynically decided to ignore them or failed to report them. If they didn't hear them, they must have hearing problems or have been plugged into their i-phones.

Either way, they ought to be fired.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Not got one rattle to report on my new car apart from the loud "chirping" or "squeaking" when I change gear aggressively... (which is every gearchange ha ha)

Actually does anyone know what this is??...

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
The chirping is caused by you feathering the throttle:p
??explain... sometimes I dont even come off it and just have it to the floor while quickly clutching in for a change... is it harmful?? is it normal lol my Type S never did this

1 - 20 of 58 Posts