2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys.

I want to start buy saying this is just based on my personal opinion and my thoughts.

As most of you are aware I had recently some work done at TDI-South. I had quite a bit done and to be honest, Shaun at TDI was brilliantly helpful and informative about all the products I had in mind. All prices were explained and clear, in all great customer service.

The bits I had done were.

HKS RSK
Miltek Exhaust System
Hondata Flash Pro.

DBA 4000 slotted front discs
Stoptech power slot rear discs
HKS braided lines
Cosworth street master pads

Tein S-tech lowering springs 15mm front, 20mm rear
Fast Road Set up.

If anyone is considering any of the above I am going to right a little review now.

The HKS RSK is a mushroom shaped air induction system, it does have a really nice rough roarty sound, it is loud and does intrude when your in vtec but it does add some sense of drama, it was insane the noise you get from this thing! I did also notice that it did help the car pull a little more cleanly in lower rev ranges and give a nice quite induction sound up to about 5k a sort of throaty sound but not over the top.

Miltek Exhaust System, I picked this simply for the sound I really wanted a sense of theatre to my drives it does gives a really nice sound when generally driving around (normally RSK can't be heard much below 3k rpm) nice deepish, on idle it sounds like its gargling petrol almost a fluidic sound. At high revs it is very loud. which I love makes going for a driving feel that bit more exciting! I will say this at 70mph dead on there is a completly monotone drone from it I only managed to drown it out with the standard speakers on 25, Now its not something you can live with but if your doing loads of motorway miles it could get very annoying.

The hondata is a fantastic addition even if you don't have any mods! It gives you vtec at 3800rpm if you put your foot down and if you don't then vtec doesn't kick in until normal at 5400rpm. It provides you that extra low don't grunt that helps you on day to day driving. So you don't need to drop 2 cogs and climb to 6000rpm just to over take someone. I have noticed an increase in fuel as well I am getting now 32mpg over the 29mpg I was getting :D

The Tein S-tech have really help my car they give the car (on the 19's) a purposeful lowering the wheels just fill the arches. The ride has improved it has not been softened but the crashy feeling over bumps has been replaced by a more composed feeling day to day the car is now much nicer to live with and the reduced crashy feeling inspires confidence to corner more quickly. The body roll has been reduced a little bit more not that there was much before that.

The brake upgrades that have been done, pads, discs and brake lines! what a good combination, this setup was recommended to by Shaun at TDI as he done some research before into good brake set ups. He found that that the discs and pad combination I have worked really well together better than other combinations. Now I have run mine in what can I say. He was right. The brakes now have so much more feel, you can really feel whats going to happen as your pushing the pedal. Stopping power I think personally think has doubled (if not more) over the FN2 standard brakes, I went for a drive the other night and few questionable people pulled out on me and I was forced to stop fast! Standard FN2 brakes my car would of been a right off!
They really are that much better I really cant put into words how much better they are. The FN2 brakes personally I felt were useless I am so happy with my brakes now that my confidence has grown. I can brake later and corner harder trust that I will stop if I need to.
Front

Rear

Now the party piece the TDI-South Fast Road Set Up. Of all the things I have done this is the number 1. It has made the car so much more alive. The difference is as strong as black and white. The FN2 understeers as we all know but the FRS really does go alonnngggg way into reducing that, short of a diff its brilliant! It also changes the cornering ability. So much sharper, there is so much more grip available. It just turns in more keenly and you know its going to stick in without sliding wide until you have pushed well beyond probably your own limit. I felt the difference in the first corner I turned into it, It just literally turned in perfectly the whole car now feels more alert! if you only spent on 1 mod the whole time your owned the car this is it! I can only imagine having LSD and an FRS my god you guys must corner like your glued to the road!

I made 190bhp @ 7930rpm and 134.6lbft at 4530rpm figures at the hub.
This figures might seem lower but that is due to the way TDI-South Dyno cars as its a hub measurement. Hopefull Shaun will post my Graphs.

I will add some pictures of the Car lowered and also the rsk and new brake discs but it was raining today so I didn't get a change they will be up tomorrow.

Any questions are welcome as I am not the best person at writing reviews english was never my strong suit, was more Maths n science.

Best Regards Everyone Glen.

Reactions: TDI

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Cracking write up (now't wrong with your english)!

Got to agree with the Milltek, it is too noisy at motorway speeds (for me anyway), mate has one fitted to his and I personally could not put up with the droning. I will probably look at the Legamax later in the year.

FRS and new springs definately make a vast improvement and like you say one of the best mods to make.

What else you thinking of doing to the car?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Off to TDI south for eibach coilovers and FRS. I'm looking forward to it ten times more after your write up! I imagine the difference on understeer will be even more dramatic. Having a heavy diesel lump on the front doesn't help when cornering!
Good write up

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
sounds fantastic...nice one could I be cheeky and ask now much for the lot a break down would be even better as i think its the way I will go... understand if you dont want to put price up but sounds like you got a new car!!:D

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Nice one Glen. Great write up. You've sold the brake upgrade to me!

I'm waiting foe Tegiwa intake and looking at the exhaust manifold too.

TDI are believed to be working on a special cat set up to make the racing manifold street legal and easy to remove the cat after MOT :)

Any idea what your figures translate to like other dynos?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pictures now included :p

Foulsmell get into TDI south Now!

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its best ringing TDI-South for a price. to be honest as mine is all combined up so its hard to give an individual break down.

Glen

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quick question everyone i was out having a razz along came an ep3. had a play I missed a gear and it shot my revs up to my limiter I think? was caught up in the moment where is the limiter now? and after I could smell burning oil for a few seconds :( is not bad though is it?

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
I think it's at 8600 with flashpro. Oil smell isn't a problem as long as it's stopped now. As always oil levels to be checked and top up as required but I'm sure you do that anyway.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fire will pm you tonight
Fat4y - yes I know now hush lol only 2 alloys, though 1 was done by the previous owner, one was me underestimating how apocolyptically bad the turning circle of the car is!

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
quick question everyone i was out having a razz along came an ep3. had a play I missed a gear and it shot my revs up to my limiter I think? was caught up in the moment where is the limiter now? and after I could smell burning oil for a few seconds :( is not bad though is it?
Limiter will be about 8600.

You quite often get the odd waft of oil after the cars been driven hard with open filters. It's caused by the breather out the rocker cover which vents into the intake pipe. Nothing to worry about ;)

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Graphs now included: (could a mod please update the thread title with the word updated)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts