2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Dandy Don
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am having a bit of a problem with my type-R GT at the moment! It will be 2 years old in November, done less than 9000 miles and she won't start!!

It was last driven on Thursday with no problems whatsoever, and the girlfriend went out to drive it tonight and it won't start!

I am away working at the moment, but from what I gather is that the engine won't even turn over, it gave an attempt the first time she tried it, but not since!

Now it appears that all the electrics have died (central locking, interior lights etc).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have caused this? It sounds like the battery is well and truly dead!

But its only been 5 days since it was last driven, surely it can't have died in that time?

I do leave my automatic lights and windscreen wipers turned on, I hope it has nothing to do with that, otherwise it is shoddy design by honda!!

I am going to get the AA out to see to it, and otherwise tell honda they better arrange to get it collected and fixed, at their expense!

Sorry about the rant, but I am not a happy camper at the moment!!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Stewart

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your local honda dealer should be able to sort you out. There is a known problem regarding battery drain with a few civics. Give them a call and explain that your batery is dead and they should arrange with you the best way to get your car to the dealership. hope all goes well, and i hope you get back on the road asap!....Honda to the rescue lol!!!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
all civics have a dodgy battery mine is the same age and it died last week i hadn't driven it the aa man said he is forever going out to civics with flat batterys

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Phone the aa you get it free for 3 years

·
Dandy Don
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what would I be better doing?

If I phone the AA and they get it going, will it be ok and keep going?

Or would I be better bypassing the AA and going straight to Honda?

Thanks for the help!

Stewart

·
Registered
86 Posts
Everyone's had this crappy problem, this had got to be the worst downfall of the civic...
I was going to sue the honda retards for not telling me about this issue when selling me the car...surely it puts a lot of people off that the car cant be left unrun for about 3days (the worst case) and it would make people buy other brands -_-

Well go to Honda and tell them to check out your ECU, the oil sensor and software updates. or force them to give you a new battery ^^

·
Registered
323 Posts
Call the AA out. If its a flat battery then they will get the car going. Also they should have tools to check if the battery is charging properly and if the system (with nothing switched on) is draining the battery more than normal.

I used to own a Toyota Supra that I used mainly at weekends. The battery was fine, the charging system was fine, but something in the electronics was draining the battery such that it would be flat if left for about ten days. In the end I bought a decent trickle charger - always useful to have.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Everyone's had this crappy problem, this had got to be the worst downfall of the civic...
I was going to sue the honda retards for not telling me about this issue when selling me the car...surely it puts a lot of people off that the car cant be left unrun for about 3days (the worst case) and it would make people buy other brands -_-

Well go to Honda and tell them to check out your ECU, the oil sensor and software updates. or force them to give you a new battery ^^
I don't and I think the worst downfall of the civic is the paint and the million and one stone chips :mad:

Come to think of it I don't ever remember seeing a TV advert for the 2006 Civic - so all said and done I think Honda have done very well considering the lack of TV Advertising - not exactly retards :worms:

sorry bit off topic

If you don't need the car urgently then contact Honda and get them to fix the problem so it doesn't happen again.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Not all the Civics have this problem. I regularly leave mine for a week between using it with no problems, in fact I recently had to leave it for three weeks, started with out a problem.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
all civics have a dodgy battery mine is the same age and it died last week i hadn't driven it the aa man said he is forever going out to civics with flat batterys

Saying that all civics have a dodgy battery or that Everyone's had this crappy problem is way over the top. I have never had this problem and bear in mind that over here we have winter temps down to -30C and I regularly leave the car outside, even at the airport in winter for a week or two.

I use the auto wipers and the lights are constantly on (in the off position actually, as you cannot turn the lights off on this EU model, or is it just in Scandinavia?).

I know a lot of users have written here about having this problem, but it is certainly not ALL civics. I also believe that as many drivers seem to be quite young and inexperienced (look at how many are buying the civic as their first car!) then leaving the lights/parking light on by mistake could be one factor as well. I did it once on my Alfa and blamed the battery, it was ok after a charge, and then a few days later I noticed that I mistakenly left the lights on when locking the car, so it had been ME!

So many people seem to go into hysterics about the battery "issue". It is just one of those things. Driver error in many cases, faulty batteries in others. :rolleyes: :worms:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well yea you could have guessed i was exaggerating, but name 1 other model from any brand that has had as many problems as the Civic with flat battery problems? Nevermind the cases when it's the drivers fault, but actually the electronics of the car.

Apparently they advise you to keep your 'autowipers n headlights' off, well the honda branch i bought from (Nottingham) didnt. And so much for 'AUTO' wipers or headlights if i have to turn it to that mode all the time, not very auto at all, only semi auto -_- useless compared to other makes who use auto headlights, don't see them with all the flat battery problems??

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Never turned my AUTO function off - never been told to - never had a flat battery - been left for weeks at a time (4 weeks over Christmas last year).

I'm sure other manufactures suffer similar problems

·
Banned
365 Posts
Apparently they advise you to keep your 'autowipers n headlights' off, well the honda branch i bought from (Nottingham) didnt.
It's in the manual, maybe you should read it.

And so much for 'AUTO' wipers or headlights if i have to turn it to that mode all the time, not very auto at all, only semi auto -_- useless compared to other makes who use auto headlights, don't see them with all the flat battery problems??
That's only if you're not going to use it for longer periods.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Just a thought, could it be that the tail gate bump stops are turned all the way out to stop the tailgate from rattling and not quite turning the boot light off ?

·
Registered
391 Posts
it might just be that the battery is simply crap. i installed an amp for the sound system. tested it for 15 mins, and that flattened it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Get the AA out, it happened to me to my previous type r and I thought as you to phone the dealer first - when I did they didn't want to hear anything about it, told me to get the AA to bring it to them.

btw this happened to me 3 times. upon the third time on bringing the car up to them, I demanded a new battery and eventually got one. their excuse for not giving me one the first two times was that they had checked the battery with the battery-checking machine - worth thousands of pounds (apparently) and the battery was working correctly, then telling me they couldn't put a warranty claim through for a new battery as their machine told them there was nothing wrong with it. in the end I told them thats complete ******** and mind blowingly stupid and if thats the case, swap my battery with a new one out of one of your new cars and see if that solves the problem. and thats what they did - and it sorted the problem.

what I am saying is persist for a new battery if this happens to you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined the flat battery crew !!

I have an 08 S GT and have just come back from a 7 day holiday and found car completely dead. This is the 2nd time this has happened - 1st time was last year after a 2 week break but dealer blamed the auto lights etc for being left on. This time i made sure they were switched off. Took it back to Dunstable dealer again (which is now under new management) and they blame it on a batch of crap batteries ?? and fitted a new one.
I have my doubt but we will wait and see - I charged the old one up for a day & half and still didn’t get the blue ring around the red dot on the battery (unlike the new one now) even though the charger said it was almost fully charged.
I am now going to leave the car on the drive for about 5 days and we will see what happens.........

1 - 20 of 31 Posts