2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Had a few head to heads with my friends de-catted / remapped Corsa VXR the other day (it was on an air strip btw so not public roads)

My car is 202.6 @ the wheels (with a HKS RSK)... since then i have removed the HKS RSK and have grooved out OEM box (i assume i've lost a bit of power due to this).

So i'm actually running a lot less power than him and he obviously murders me on torque also.

Anyway race 1 he had a bad start, and didn't get near me (he was just a spec in my rear)

2nd race we went from standstill, again he missed second and i went well ahead without much of a challenge...

3rd race we went from 2nd gear 40mph and it was really even, up until around 100mph where i then began to pull away slowly (he was very close on my left rear this time).

4th was from 2nd 40mph again and this time he went early on me so i had to catch him up, which i did? I manged to get level by time i went into 4th, and then passed him at around 120.

Just thought i'd share this with you guys, i'm not starting any debates but i think considering i'm running less power and torque i was shocked i beat it.

I usually don't like to race vxr's as they have bucket loads of torque and usually jump ahead.

Also worth mentioning that in the back of my car i had 2x 20kg subs, a bag full of tools, a spare wheel, another cars parcel shelf and 2 other metal things (around 100kg)... I had these in my car as my friend was racing a 700hp Porsche 977 with two hybrid turbos in his Astra GSI 500hp (was a good race btw)

Not starting any debates just want to share my experience with you and let you know how my car performed!

Again it was on an unused air strip, not public roads.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Hello everyone,

Had a few head to heads with my friends de-catted / remapped Corsa VXR the other day (it was on an air strip btw so not public roads)

My car is 202.6 @ the wheels (with a HKS RSK)... since then i have removed the HKS RSK and have grooved out OEM box (i assume i've lost a bit of power due to this).

So i'm actually running a lot less power than him and he obviously murders me on torque also.

Anyway race 1 he had a bad start, and didn't get near me (he was just a spec in my rear)

2nd race we went from standstill, again he missed second and i went well ahead without much of a challenge...

3rd race we went from 2nd gear 40mph and it was really even, up until around 100mph where i then began to pull away slowly (he was very close on my left rear this time).

4th was from 2nd 40mph again and this time he went early on me so i had to catch him up, which i did? I manged to get level by time i went into 4th, and then passed him at around 120.

Just thought i'd share this with you guys, i'm not starting any debates but i think considering i'm running less power and torque i was shocked i beat it.

I usually don't like to race vxr's as they have bucket loads of torque and usually jump ahead.

Also worth mentioning that in the back of my car i had 2x 20kg subs, a bag full of tools, a spare wheel, another cars parcel shelf and 2 other metal things (around 100kg)... I had these in my car as my friend was racing a 700hp Porsche 977 with two hybrid turbos in his Astra GSI 500hp (was a good race btw)

Not starting any debates just want to share my experience with you and let you know how my car performed!

Again it was on an unused air strip, not public roads.
***** driver in the vxr then lol ...

·
UKDM
779 Posts
so you are about 230 @ the fly compared to his 240 and his car will have been lighter

Seems like he should have done better but I'm glad he didnt :)

I have had a play with a stock VXR when mine was stock and there was nothing in it

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The location was Bradwell air stip

It's a bit of a tight squeeze and not the best of surfaces, but we both went round a few times before to familiarise ourselves.

And the VXR driver wasn't bad tbh, my car had been serviced earlier that day and it was running better than it'd ever ran.

It was a good race, very fun!

·
Registered
307 Posts
i genuinley believe CTR's don't get the credit they deserve..they are almost dismissed as a fast car as they ONLY have 200bhp ...but its the response from the engine, lack of turbo lag and lightness compared to most other rivals that catch people out. I have had several little "spurts" against other cars and have surprised a few i can tell you. If you can get off the line cleanly and get into vtec quickly, theres not much that will get away from you easily.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The extra revs, shorter gears and the fact you can hold a lower gear for lo her surprises a lot of cars
That's just it,

It felt like every time i went the extra 1/2 k revs i would catch him a little.

I'm not a **** hot driver myself but i rarely redline the car and am quite "good" at shifting. it felt like my car just wanted more torture than his car ;D

Every time i changed gear it just wanted more!!

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There must be something up with that Corsa VXR. I had a VXR running the Remus exhaust which gets rid of one cat but no remap and it was as quick as a mildly modded CTR.:eek:
There wasn't anything up with it... He even said to me after "wowwww your car is RAPID for a type-r, i've never lost to one before" - those were his exact words lol

He told me he usually disposes of type-r's like they're nothing... even modded ones

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
There wasn't anything up with it... He even said to me after "wowwww your car is RAPID for a type-r, i've never lost to one before" - those were his exact words lol

He told me he usually disposes of type-r's like they're nothing... even modded ones
RAPID

:rofl::rofl:

Can't help but laugh when I hear people use that word in such a context.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Dont get me wrong I think those Corsas are a bit crap, but...

If you pulled on a lighter more powerful car, the other car is either
A) not lighter or more powerful
B) not as well driven

Swap cars next time?

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
i genuinley believe CTR's don't get the credit they deserve..they are almost dismissed as a fast car as they ONLY have 200bhp ...but its the response from the engine, lack of turbo lag and lightness compared to most other rivals that catch people out. I have had several little "spurts" against other cars and have surprised a few i can tell you. If you can get off the line cleanly and get into vtec quickly, theres not much that will get away from you easily.
I agree, but it isn't a fast car. It's doesn't make 200bhp until 7,600rpm. From 0-60 it is quick, 30-70 it is quite quick, after that it just isn't that quick. Sounds it though.:worms:

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Weight wise the cars are pretty much the same. You had some load in the boot which was not helping you. Could be down to the service and possibly the tyres too.

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Weight wise the cars are pretty much the same. You had some load in the boot which was not helping you. Could be down to the service and possibly the tyres too.
Well i dont have rear seats, BUT i did have the extra load. I also had my friend in the passenger seat (16 stone).

The Corsa VXR wasn't stripped at all, and had 1 passenger.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts