2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had my '57 plate 1.8 Type S GT since December 2016, and I've been trying to find out what this cable coming from the dash is... I've searched around a fair bit, but I can't find an answer anywhere! Could anybody help? The wire comes out the central cubby hole as pictured, and goes up in to a hole in the top of the cubby hole.

Whilst I'm at it, has anybody got a decent solution for Bluetooth in the civic? Without spending 100s...?

Sneaky pic of my baby all polish and waxed up... Loving the sun being out!

·
Administrator
17,940 Posts
No idea about the cable but I found the xCarLink module was good for USB/etc music. I didn't have the BT version, but they're available. You may even find one pops up For Sale on the forum ;) Or maybe put up a Wanted ad.

Wiki Ref; In Car Entertainment - Civinfo Wiki

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Looks like an old style printer cable! So maybe a connection for a laptop?
Interesting to know what it's attached to.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Actually could it be an OBD2 extension?

Have a look and see if there's anything attached to the obd2 port that disappears into the dash.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea about the cable but I found the xCarLink module was good for USB/etc music. I didn't have the BT version, but they're available. You may even find one pops up For Sale on the forum ;) Or maybe put up a Wanted ad.
Cheers, I'll take a look in to it!

Have a look and see if there's anything attached to the obd2 port that disappears into the dash.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there, a female OBD2 connection looks like it would fit on to it!

Next question, why on earth would the previous owner stick this in the dash?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Probably so the obd2 dongle didn't hit their knee. Is the other end tucked out of the way?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ok, I just went for a look... There's nothing plugged in to the OBD2 port in the driver's footwell :/

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Hmmm maybe it's unplugged and tucked out of the way behind the dash.
Only way to know for sure is take the lower dash covers & centre console out to check where it goes 👍

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm maybe it's unplugged and tucked out of the way behind the dash.
Only way to know for sure is take the lower dash covers & centre console out to check where it goes 👍
Ah ok! I'll have a look this evening, thanks for the help! Last (noob) question, whats the OBD2 dongle for?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
It's a link to the cars ecu. You can get a bluetooth version and link it to an app on your phone, like Torque or DashCommand, then you can see things like error codes etc.

Handy thing to have, you can pick bluetooth ones up cheap on eBay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a link to the cars ecu. You can get a bluetooth version and link it to an app on your phone, like Torque or DashCommand, then you can see things like error codes etc.

Handy thing to have, you can pick bluetooth ones up cheap on eBay.
Ah I see! Cheers for all the help :).

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
First thing I thought of when OBD2 extension was mentioned was an insurance black box.

If the black box is that big then it probably wouldn't fit directly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yatour digital changer, maybe? Especially in this place.
That connection looks exactly like what is in the car... I guess that would make the most sense. The cable feels like it is attached pretty securely, like the other end is definitely going somewhere. I had a feeling it may something for audio! If i can find a Bluetooth yatour box that would fit on, I'd be pretty happy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
YT-M07 or M06 i'd say...

Im looking at getting one of the boxes myself at the moment and that cable is instantly recognisable! Prev owner clearly valued his box and didnt wanna leave it and so decided he'd just get a new interface cable for his new motor.

Brucie for you, not having to rip that dash apart eh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YT-M07 or M06 i'd say...

Im looking at getting one of the boxes myself at the moment and that cable is instantly recognisable! Prev owner clearly valued his box and didnt wanna leave it and so decided he'd just get a new interface cable for his new motor.

Brucie for you, not having to rip that dash apart eh

What a result, two birds one stone!
I've ordered one of the Yatour boxes, and a Bluetooth adapter, so I'll post up in a few days about fitting it all! I can't wait to have Bluetooth and Spotify in the car again.

I was debating a Parrot kit, which is twice the price, and I was dreading taking the dash apart (they never go back the same). So this is awesome :D.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What a result, two birds one stone!

I've ordered one of the Yatour boxes, and a Bluetooth adapter, so I'll post up in a few days about fitting it all! I can't wait to have Bluetooth and Spotify in the car again.

I was debating a Parrot kit, which is twice the price, and I was dreading taking the dash apart (they never go back the same). So this is awesome :D.

Where did you order from?

·
Registered
209 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts