2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Mystery cable coming from dash compartment?

Electrics 
3K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  TypeSeb 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've had my '57 plate 1.8 Type S GT since December 2016, and I've been trying to find out what this cable coming from the dash is... I've searched around a fair bit, but I can't find an answer anywhere! Could anybody help? The wire comes out the central cubby hole as pictured, and goes up in to a hole in the top of the cubby hole.

Whilst I'm at it, has anybody got a decent solution for Bluetooth in the civic? Without spending 100s...?

Sneaky pic of my baby all polish and waxed up... Loving the sun being out!

See less See more
#5 ·
No idea about the cable but I found the xCarLink module was good for USB/etc music. I didn't have the BT version, but they're available. You may even find one pops up For Sale on the forum ;) Or maybe put up a Wanted ad.
Cheers, I'll take a look in to it!

Actually could it be an OBD2 extension?

Have a look and see if there's anything attached to the obd2 port that disappears into the dash.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there, a female OBD2 connection looks like it would fit on to it!

Next question, why on earth would the previous owner stick this in the dash?

#3 ·
Looks like an old style printer cable! So maybe a connection for a laptop?
Interesting to know what it's attached to.

#8 ·
Hmmm maybe it's unplugged and tucked out of the way behind the dash.
Only way to know for sure is take the lower dash covers & centre console out to check where it goes ?

#10 ·
It's a link to the cars ecu. You can get a bluetooth version and link it to an app on your phone, like Torque or DashCommand, then you can see things like error codes etc.

Handy thing to have, you can pick bluetooth ones up cheap on eBay.

Reactions: Mered
#14 ·
That connection looks exactly like what is in the car... I guess that would make the most sense. The cable feels like it is attached pretty securely, like the other end is definitely going somewhere. I had a feeling it may something for audio! If i can find a Bluetooth yatour box that would fit on, I'd be pretty happy!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#15 ·
YT-M07 or M06 i'd say...

Im looking at getting one of the boxes myself at the moment and that cable is instantly recognisable! Prev owner clearly valued his box and didnt wanna leave it and so decided he'd just get a new interface cable for his new motor.

Brucie for you, not having to rip that dash apart eh [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
What a result, two birds one stone!
I've ordered one of the Yatour boxes, and a Bluetooth adapter, so I'll post up in a few days about fitting it all! I can't wait to have Bluetooth and Spotify in the car again.

I was debating a Parrot kit, which is twice the price, and I was dreading taking the dash apart (they never go back the same). So this is awesome :D.

#23 ·
I don't own an ipod and I'm not a huge fan of apple either so what I did is bought an adapter from ipod to android.The adapter gave me a charger point and a 3,5mm jack. It works great, however , the audio output from the phone is a bit soft (samsung s4 and my s6). what I mean is the android phone is at full volume and car stereo volume is at full and its no where near as loud as cd's. So I added a portable headphone amplifier and its a lot better now. Let us know how you get on with the media module, As I've wondered if I bought an ipod and did away with the headphone amp and adapter cable would it also have low volume through the cars head unit.

#25 ·
So i fitted the Yatour today, it's great! I'm yet to get the mic and Bluetooth unit positioned, and the wires all tucked away, but it's just plug and play! I haven't tried using the USB or SD card slots yet, but the sound quality is great so far. The audio level seems to be the same as what the radio is at, if not a touch louder (on Spotify running through an S7). It doesn't seem to distort much running it up to around the 30+ level on the stereo, but i am kind of wishing I could run a sub straight in to the standard unit. It's a great purchase so far!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.