2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in dark with my screen and dash brightness set to minimun, but I couldn't get the CD player and the nav dashboard (with the "Menu / Info / Map / Return" buttons) to get lit. It was hard to see the buttons in the dark. How do I get it to light up?

I remember seeing the dash lit when I drove to another city last weekend, but I don't remember how I did it. I tried consulting the manual but couldn't find any references in the index. (Admittedly, I didn't read through the entire manual...).

The buttons on the door console seem to be always lit, even when the power is turned off. Are they made of some glow-in-the-dark material?

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
Just to the left of the nav 'wheel' is a small button with what looks like a crescent moon on it. push it and it will bring up a menu on the NAV screen which you can use to adjust the brightness, one you have it as you want it just hit ok. Hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I may well be incorrect but it may be that it has just turned off as you did not press ok when you turned the engine on. Usually hitting enter brings up the same dialogue with me and it comes back.

Sorry if i am barking up the wrong tree,

Cheers

Elis

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just to the left of the nav 'wheel' is a small button with what looks like a crescent moon on it. push it and it will bring up a menu on the NAV screen which you can use to adjust the brightness, one you have it as you want it just hit ok. Hope that makes sense.
Agree with above - also make sure the "daylight" and "night" colours aren't set to the same (via the menu, colour option), which would make the screen too dark in daytime.

Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, but I already knew about the screen brightness (the crescent moon button) and the gauge brightness (the button that pops up when pressed behind the steering wheel). I have those sorted out.

But I'm not talking about the screen and the gauges. I'm talking about the buttons below the nav screen: the CD player buttons, and the nav control buttons (Map, Menu, Climate, Audio, the directional/rotary knob etc). They didn't light up, so it was really hard to see them in the dark. They didn't get lit even when I set the screen and gauge brightness to minimum.

Is there some control to make the CD player and nav control buttons to light up?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... are they even supposed to light up? Because I remember seeing the buttons illuminated. Either I remember wrong, or the backlight(s) may be broken?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I would say you have a fault

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Well... are they even supposed to light up? Because I remember seeing the buttons illuminated. Either I remember wrong, or the backlight(s) may be broken?
Just been and checked, Yes they all light up, white on mine although other folk say they are light green. At least they do on an EX.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your replies.

Do they always light up, or just when it's dark (the daylight detector)? Or only when the headlights are turned on? I had my headlights set to "Auto", and it didn't occur to me to switch them to a different mode.

·
Registered
450 Posts
They do light up in a EX. Mine are whiteish too, but the ones on the drivers door are green tinted, and the ones on the strreing wheel are (rather dimmer) and alos looks a bit greenish sometimes!

I suspect its a white bulb with a slightly greenish filter in front of it fed via a fibre optic bundle to each switch?

Probably separate bulbs for door, main dash, and steering wheel?

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Hei Skaven

You probably just have to twist the left stalk to it's fourth and last position. That's when the lights are on. Or did you already try this?

We Finns have our lights messed up by some link in the delivery chain so that we can not have our lights off. I normally have them in the "off" setting as they are turned on anyway as I start the car. I'd like to have the option of turning all external lights off with the car running, but someone has made that decision for me. :(

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You probably just have to twist the left stalk to it's fourth and last position. That's when the lights are on. Or did you already try this?
Hmm, yeah, that must be it! I'll try that the next time I'm driving in the dark. I was going to do it today, but my friends cancelled my visit to them. Well, maybe I'll go for a little night drive anyway. Just for the joy of driving my new car. :mrgreen:

The little environmentalist in me will hopefully shut up. Come on, it's a new car! Can't I have a little fun before the novelty wears off? Puh-leeeeze?
[smilie=grineyes.gi: [/SIZE]

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, maybe I'll go for a little night drive anyway.
And so I did. You were right, Copycat: you have to manually turn on the headlights before the dash lights up. Thanks for the heads up.
[smilie=gt-happyup.:

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
No problem.
I take it that your car also has lights on all the time? The AUTO-setting is supposed to switch them on when it gets dark, but there's been complaints about how they turn on too late. Maybe ours will switch the dash lights on when its pitch black? :roll:

Anyway, I'll stick with the manual controls for now thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I take it that your car also has lights on all the time? The AUTO-setting is supposed to switch them on when it gets dark
Yep, they're on all the time in my car too. In Finland, I figure they set the lights to be always on when on AUTO, because the law requires you to keep headlights on all the time anyway.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
And they're always on even if you turn the stalk to 'off' position. Annoying at times, when I'm parked and want to keep the car running. I wonder if the dealer would undo this for me if I asked them? Getting my winter tyres put under the car today so I'll be going there anyway.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I have an SE and mine are definitely green; not white even with a tint of green, just light green!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts