2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Civic Tourer and the head unit recently bricked itself. I'd put this down to it being Android and that being what Android things do and that maybe it being hooked up to the hotspot on my phone had brought down a bad update.

By bricking itself, it did a hard reset all of its own accord whilst I was driving along and then hasn't worked since other than displaying the white and then silver H logo repeatedly... hence the assumption it had bricked itself .

So I bought another head unit, and that kept rebooting as well. It would sometimes do this on the screen with the H logo and invariably with the dots spinning at the bottom and sometimes would briefly sit asking for the security code.

I'd been told by the dealer how to get to the menu from where I'd need to get a serial number for Honda so they would give the security code for it but no chance. So, having not clicked by this point, I bought a third head unit which I've installed today and it's doing exactly the same thing.

I've timed it and it reboots after about 1min 45seconds. Nothing else is switched on or off - the ignition is still on etc.

So it's a weird one and has to be an issue with the car given this is head unit number three? Does anyone have any idea what the cause could be as I really would rather not have to go down the aftermarket head unit route. I had a quick chat with someone at the local main dealers earlier who enquired and it wasn't an issue the workshop had encountered before.

As far as I'm aware, everything else is working on the car. Reversing camera displays as it should do on the head unit screen etc.

TIA

· Premium Member
83 Posts
I have a 2015 Civic Tourer and the head unit recently bricked itself. I'd put this down to it being Android and that being what Android things do and that maybe it being hooked up to the hotspot on my phone had brought down a bad update.

By bricking itself, it did a hard reset all of its own accord whilst I was driving along and then hasn't worked since other than displaying the white and then silver H logo repeatedly... hence the assumption it had bricked itself .

So I bought another head unit, and that kept rebooting as well. It would sometimes do this on the screen with the H logo and invariably with the dots spinning at the bottom and sometimes would briefly sit asking for the security code.

I'd been told by the dealer how to get to the menu from where I'd need to get a serial number for Honda so they would give the security code for it but no chance. So, having not clicked by this point, I bought a third head unit which I've installed today and it's doing exactly the same thing.

I've timed it and it reboots after about 1min 45seconds. Nothing else is switched on or off - the ignition is still on etc.

So it's a weird one and has to be an issue with the car given this is head unit number three? Does anyone have any idea what the cause could be as I really would rather not have to go down the aftermarket head unit route. I had a quick chat with someone at the local main dealers earlier who enquired and it wasn't an issue the workshop had encountered before.

As far as I'm aware, everything else is working on the car. Reversing camera displays as it should do on the head unit screen etc.

TIA
The following might be of assistance, although this seemed to be related to the SatNav part of the system, Satnav - Garmin Navigator not responding, . My problem was resolved by the dealer updating the head unit to the latest software release.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The following might be of assistance, although this seemed to be related to the SatNav part of the system, Satnav - Garmin Navigator not responding, . My problem was resolved by the dealer updating the head unit to the latest software release.
Thanks but sadly it won't. One of the things I asked the dealer today was if they'd be able to do any updates with things as they stand, and I was told no, the head unit needs to be fully functioning in order to be able to do those.

I've left the car with the battery disconnected for most of the afternoon. Nothing has changed. Head unit will reboot after just under two minutes from start up, be that when it seems to be thinking about starting or getting to the point where it's asking for the security code.

As this is now head unit number three and all are doing the same thing (or rather number one was but now seems to be bricked beyond redemption), there surely has to be something like a bit of kit / module related to something that talks to the head unit which has developed a fault and is causing / telling the headunit to reboot?

Very odd... and hopefully something that can be sorted without too much aggro.

I really don't want to have to go down the aftermarket head unit route and in any case, if this is an actual power cut rather than dodgy instruction over CANBUS, is it going to ultimately sort things anyway.

Is there a known network of Honda enthusiasts with HDS that'll scan your car for you in exchange for beer tokens? This used to be a thing when it came to VW Group stuff back when I was into those. The local main dealer wants £90 an hour - one hour minimum and capped at two hours (very generous of them) - to do anything classed as diagnostics.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So... three head units later I finally get to the bottom of why the rebooting is occurring, if not why the problem with the original head unit happened in the first place

Removed the USB stick plugged in to the port under the armrest, and hey presto - boots up. Literally has just music on it and has been plugged in since at least November(!) 🙄

· Registered
945 Posts
So... three head units later I finally get to the bottom of why the rebooting is occurring, if not why the problem with the original head unit happened in the first place

Removed the USB stick plugged in to the port under the armrest, and hey presto - boots up. Literally has just music on it and has been plugged in since at least November(!) 🙄
Very well done. Its appreciated that you have posted back with the result of such an obscure problem for the information of Forum Users. You would think that the Honda dealers could have been more helpful. Surely Honda have a data base of obscure resolutions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.