2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says no chips yet. Even after being hazed by a truck dumping salt on the auto-route to prevent ice build-up (the car was pelted as I drove past at almost a 100km/hr).

A few weeks ago I asked at the car wash (one of those "hand wash" places so common in parisian underground parking lots) what product they use (I'm too lazy you see to wash the car myself). It turns out they don't use any conventional methods; no foam wash, not even much water. They use something that they mix in with a little water and wipe down the car with that. Please forgive my poor description, I'm not really into car detailing.

Now my theory. This paint Honda uses on the civic is a water based paint. I suspect that the conventional washing methods ie water + soap over time weakens the paint. Eventually making it susceptible to chipping. There is probably a strong correlation between frequency of washing and number of chips. My civic doesn't have any chips because its never been washed the conventional way since the day it was bought (almost 6 months ago).

Opinions would be most welcome.

PS Would it be possible for one of the admins set up a poll at the end of which we'd be able to compare the statistics of type and frequency of washes to severity of chipping?

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
If that was true, then those that made a Mr Cap treatment or any other paint protetion at day one, would not have any chips either. As far as I know, this is not the case.

Nice theory though ;)

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Interesting theory but mine has had a great deal of paint protection from day one and it still looks like its got measles.
You just appear to be lucky..nothing more than that..Count your blessings

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Interesting theory but mine has had a great deal of paint protection from day one and it still looks like its got measles.
You just appear to be lucky..nothing more than that..Count your blessings
I've never applied paint protection, at least I don't think what they apply to my car can be called paint protection. In any case, this "paint protection" you applied to your car is not permanent. And I do not think I'm just lucky either. Its either the paint quality applied to cars destined for continental europe is superior to that used for cars in the UK (I don't believe this to be the case) or I've been doing something fundamentaly different to what you folks do to your cars. Only thing I can think of is different cleaning styles.

Like I said, a poll would be most interesting.

PS. I recall from a survey on this forum that the galaxy grey colour is the least affected colour. I'm not surprised as its the colour that hides dirt the most and the one least likely to be washed as frequently. Whenever you get round to replying to this thread WC, I'd like to know how many times you've washed your car and how many paint chips you've got.

PPS. Robbo51, how frequently do you wash or detail your car?

·
My sticker's crooked
472 Posts
You realise that you have now probably just tempted fate.... standby... ;)
Meteor storm inbound. :twisted:

·
Innuendo Queen
1,706 Posts
Ok, while we're on to theories about why they chip ... this was put forward at a recent meet:

It was suggested that, due to the shape of the car, being designed to be aerodynamic, the angle of the slope acts to 'suck in' chips as they travel over the surface of the car. Again due to the shape, once they hit the car, they travel at such an angle that they are 'gouging' rather than 'bouncing' - hence the higher percentage of chips on a Civic than on something with a 'flatter' shape.

Therefore, it's not down to the paint, it's down to the shape.

Discuss.... ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My theory is its a combination of the state of the roads, the colour of the car and the amount of time spent on the road. My car is silver and has been used on Irish roads for 6 months and 6 months in France with 17,000 km and no noticable paint chips. I can vouch for the smooth quality of most of the French roads and ours are improving with more use of tarmac rather than the tar and paint chippers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts