2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need a bit of advice regarding insurance and Road Tax on my old car when I trade it in for my new Civic.

When I bought my current car, I didn't have one to trade in, so the car tax and insurance started on the 1st March, this time when I pick my Civic up (again on the 1st of March) the tax and insurance will have run out on my current car. I'm trying to figure out how I can take my old car into the dealers on the 1st March and pickup my new Civic.

I could tax my old car for six months, and take out the tax disc to get a refund for the remaining 5 months, but what about the insurance. Do insurance companies offer really short term policies for this sort of occurance?

Would I be better off taking the car to the dealers on the last day of February? (Oh s**t that would mean catching a bus home [smilie=mad.gif] )

·
Registered
64 Posts
if the dealer was any good, explain the position im sure they could give you a couresy car the day before as you are part exing.

If you want you car tax from 1st march, they are not allowed and you are no allowed to drive it on the road from 1st march.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Hi

I...

to the dealers on the last day of February? (Oh s**t that would mean catching a bus home [smilie=mad.gif] )
Depends how far you live from the dealer. Have you a friend who would help out or does the dealer have someone going your direction at the end of the day ? May be worth asking them. Certainly, you need to take it the last day of February to avoid expense or potential problems.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
im with admiral and they just did me a weeks insurance fully comp for 17 quid or tpft for £11 and that was on my 2.2 prelude (group 17) and im 22 so im sure you could get insured for next to nothing. just ring your insurance company!

personally i wouldnt worry about tax really. in the rare chance you actually got caught im sure you would be let off if its only 1 day out! but thats only my opinion if you dont want to risk it drop it off before it runs out

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I drove my part exchange to the garage without tax, as above comment, if you did get stopped I would think the police would use their discression. As for insurance, have a word with yoyr insurance company, if you are using the same company to insure the Civic they will probably extend your old insurance for little or no cost

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think it is very wise to drive without road tax, even if you are insured. In the event that you were involved in an accident of any sort, I'm sure your insurer would not pay out if they found that you were driving illegally with no tax.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
I wouldnt Tax it , as for the insurance you could take a wee chance;)

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I would take your own advice on the Tax, as for the insurance I would give them a call, when I did a similiar sort of thing my insurance extended it for a day to cover the days gap for free, I think mainly because I insured my new car with them as well.

Don't drive the car without tax or insurance not even for one day, it's not worth the risk for something that will cost so little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts