2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Looking to buy a Type R
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back on 1st March when it snowed heavily. I hit some ice at 5mph and clipped the curb doing damage to my wheel at my work car park.

I called hastings direct and wanted breakdown to come and change my wheel (loads of snow and my car is really, really low). for whatever reason the guy said there might be some damage to the suspension and instead decided to recover the car to my house. Snow cleared and as i'd said, it was just the wheel that i switched over with my spare.. car OK.

I rung up Hastings and let them know, they said great, everything cancelled - and that's the last I heard from them.

I got my renewal quote through today, and I was pretty shocked to find my 4 years NCB gone and a claim against my name. I was expecting to be around £350 and my renewal is £1000.

They tell me because the car was recovered (2 miles to my house) that it was a cost of £170-something to them and that's why it's down as a claim, and besides from putting in a complaint there's nothing I can do.

Is there anything I can do here?

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,315 Posts
Go with a different Insurer as if you have breakdown cover through your insurance, it shouldn't be classed as a claim. If my Insurance company puts up my premium, I just move on to another.

Green Flag are offering top level Breakdown cover for just over £60 per year.

Reactions: D 1

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
I am told with Aiva for every claim you loose 2 years of your NCB but then they still load the premium like everyone else. Be aware even if you call an insurance company and advise them of an indecent and never claim your premium is loaded as there is a strike against your name on record that all insurance companies can see.

Good luck trying to get this reduced but my advise is never phone an insurance company for anything minor unless its worth a claim or there will be a claim against you as for sure it will cost you for 1-3 years for doing so.

·
Looking to buy a Type R
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both,

I guess what annoyed me most is I have Hastings Premier with all the bells and whistles, asked for breakdown and got shafted without even knowing. I even offered to pay the cost of recovery but they weren't having that either

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,315 Posts
Well there you have it, didn't realise that if you take out Breakdown Cover through your Insurance and use it that it goes against you....

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,315 Posts
My three year free Breakdown cover through Honda has just expired so I did my cover separate with Green Flag.

Reactions: D 1

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
yes hate insurance 5 weeks ago some one hit my jazz back end not my fault my car was stationary and because car can be driven they told me i have to wait between 2 weeks maybe 6 month STUPID

·
Looking to buy a Type R
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after some complaining there's good and bad news. If I pay for the cost of recovery i'll get my 4 years NCB back but i'm still going to have this down as a claim in my records.

I have breakdown cover, but because he decided he couldn't be arsed to change my wheel in the snow i'm paying the price for the next 5 years.

Yeah, i'm not renewing with Hastings, or using them ever again

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,315 Posts
Well after some complaining there's good and bad news. If I pay for the cost of recovery i'll get my 4 years NCB back but i'm still going to have this down as a claim in my records.

I have breakdown cover, but because he decided he couldn't be arsed to change my wheel in the snow i'm paying the price for the next 5 years.

Yeah, i'm not renewing with Hastings, or using them ever again
All Insurance companies are the same, they'll sting you at every turn. Never stay loyal to any one of them as to them, we're all suckers. Whenever you get in your renewal, always and I mean always, shop about. Someone else will always give you a better deal as a new customer. Always organise your recovery separate too, but you'll now know that from your recent experience :wink3:.

·
Vendor
381 Posts
If you want straightforward car insurance (and breakdown that doesn't affect your car's NCB) please give us a call. The benefit of using Chris Knott is that we're small enough to care and service is just as important to us as a competitive premium.

N

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
The main advantage of using a broker, like CK, is that you can phone for advice without the fear, like some online boys, who will class almost every call as a black mark and then up your next years premium.

One important thing that many forget, like the latest misleading DL advert is that whilst they say your NCD will remain, what they don't say is that your, say, 50% NCD of £1k is less than 50% NCD of £2k when it gets increased.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
I've heard other horror stories about Hastings. I would never touch them.
Like cancelling people's policies 10 months in without telling you and getting pulled by the police for being uninsured? I was hit by that years ago when I first learned to drive getting my first year's ncb.... avoided them like the plague since.

They did get sued by the FSA and ended up getting a nice cheque off them however out the blue a couple of years later :laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
If you want straightforward car insurance (and breakdown that doesn't affect your car's NCB) please give us a call. The benefit of using Chris Knott is that we're small enough to care and service is just as important to us as a competitive premium.

N
but your not as clean cut as you try to make
when I called for quote you refused
off the shelf car no claims convictions or any thing
I was told you couldn't offer me a quote as I didn't meet your recommendations
99.9% of insurance companys abuse the fact we have to have at least 3rd party insurance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts