2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peeps
I'm thinking of buying Honda civic1.8 petrol but people are saying to many common faults like engine I'm confused I thought they are very strong and reliable please help.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
People only post when they have issues, not when they don't have issues, so reading the forums isn't a true representation

The 1.8 Honda unit in the 8th gen Civic is very reliable. As is the 2.0 VTEC (Type R engine) and as far as diesels go, apart from the clutch/flywheel, the engine on the 2.2 diesel is also reliable (for a diesel)

Did you have any particular worries that you had read about?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re - honda civic

What concerns me is the engine block crack the car has done 85,000 and also 4 previous owners

·
Living the dream!
8,542 Posts
What concerns me is the engine block crack the car has done 85,000 and also 4 previous owners
never hear of that one and as a rule Honda's are very very reliable, I have owned 4 Hondas now over 7 years motoring and yes I have had cosmetic and a mechanical fault (clicking clutch pedal) but will say in all that time we have never suffered a mechanical failure

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Hello,

I own 1.8 2006 5 door and it is a lovely motor. It is coming to 90K miles and for the price it is a very nice car. Considering the prices on them these days you can find a lot of nice examples for sale.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Welcome! I bought a 1.8 Si at the beginning of last month, 5 yrs old with 39k for just shy of £8k... I love it to bits, came with a years warrant and a previous driver who seemed to like scrape the door edges, in fact any edge of the car it seems 😠 but I'm still happy to save up for a full respray and still feel like I got a good deal. The car is a dream to drive. Pootles along in town and also when you want to abuse it, it feels like it could cope with more 😊

Late to the show as usual!

·
Redline Monster
1,575 Posts
Hello mate & welcome to Civinfo - I also have a 1.8 si since 2013 10 plate & it's been the best driving experience of my life been driving 14 years & 10 cars & I love my car dearly & never stop smiling behind the wheel. You'll love it mate

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Welcome mate.

Have a look round the threads on the forum for common issues.

The civic is a very reliable car in all forms.
I have had a couple of issues myself with both my 1.4 and my fn2 however these have just been silly wee noises/squeeks which are easily fixed and better than having any 'proper' faults which other cars can be prone to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Is it true that the common fault with Honda's is the wipers morter mess up and also the engine block cracks cuz when I checked for common faults on Google people are always talking about the engine and cars don't start up etc
What shall I keep a eye on when buying Honda civic..

Thanks

·
Administrator
18,015 Posts
Search this forum and look in the Wiki for common issues AND SOLUTIONS.

True some wiper motors have a like of their own but fixes are well documented.

As for cracked blocks, I haven't heard of any.

All cars have issues of some sort or another, but Honda's are typically a reliable choice.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
As above, the 1.8 is very reliable and strong. I can think of any 'Common Faults'

The engine block cracking you've read about affected a small number of US made R18 engines due to a manufacturing issue in an american casting plant. AFIK, never an issue with Swindon built engines.

Becareful and don't read stuff about the USDM Civics

·
Registered
46 Posts
I own a 2007 1.8 type s I've done 24k miles in the last two years now it's done 85k overall and still going strong, they defo are reliable and a good car, best I've ever had luvit:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts