2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I am new to this but I have a Honda Civic Type S GT 2009 plate.

It's been running smoothly for about 4 months with no issues then all of a sudden my battery was very low, difficulty starting. Got a new battery fitted in worked for two days and needed to be jump started again.

It got to a point where i got breakdown recovery involved. They checked and said the battery was faulty and they checked the alternator to show that it was working fine.

So I got the battery replaced for another new battery. Worked fine for two days and then I didnt drive it for two days and just tried starting it up again today but battery completely dead again.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated on how to solve this issue. Really need to sort it out as soon as possible

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Have you tested the alternator is charging the battery? Stick a voltmeter on it and see if its giving any power

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
You must have a drain somewhere.

Firstly, have you had the ECU update that fixes the drain from the auto lights and wipers? Check your VIN with Honda to see if the update was applied.

If you have had that update, then I would do the following

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PrandaFN2: Yes the Greenflag recovery person already checked the alternator and said it was charging the car fine.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Try what Syx said then mate [smilie=upyeah.gif]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry what is a sticking air con relay. Well so far I've had the opinions of a few people and its been narrowed down to 2 things.

Either there is something being left on and is draining the battery which requires every fuse to be checked in the car which is apparently a very long process.

secondly, it has been mentioned that it could be the cooling fan is running on for too long after the car is switched off and the cooling fan needs a new relay.

However, yesterday got my car jump started, never switched on the heater and today after an overnight stay without it being used till afternoon today the car is working fine which never happens following an overnight stay as usually needs to be jump started again. Also, just to add whenever the heater is put on, only gives a few minutes of heat before it starts to just stay cool rather than hot.

Any ideas people how to narrow it down or could it be something else. Honestly I have very little car experience so your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,787 Posts
Either there is something being left on and is draining the battery which requires every fuse to be checked in the car which is apparently a very long process.

secondly, it has been mentioned that it could be the cooling fan is running on for too long after the car is switched off and the cooling fan needs a new relay.
The first paragraph there is the only real fool-proof option. The second paragraph is merely a sub-set of the first (e.g. if it is the cooling fan relay, then you'll confirm this while performing the test where you go though every fused circuit).

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Easy test, try turning the interior light off, and then see if it happens. If I leave mine on, it kills the battery, so i've switched it to off.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,023 Posts
sorry what is a sticking air con relay. Well so far I've had the opinions of a few people and its been narrowed down to 2 things.

However, yesterday got my car jump started, never switched on the heater and today after an overnight stay without it being used till afternoon today the car is working fine which never happens following an overnight stay as usually needs to be jump started again. Also, just to add whenever the heater is put on, only gives a few minutes of heat before it starts to just stay cool rather than hot.

Any ideas people how to narrow it down or could it be something else. Honestly I have very little car experience so your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Why not follow the information Syx has given you and actually trace the fault. It's not that difficult to do

1 - 11 of 11 Posts