2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per my other thread on a forum suggestion, I've just purchased an A3 Black Edition for the Mrs.
She's got a private plate which the dealership are going to put on, however this raises the question of insuring the vehicle.

How do I go about getting insurance sorted in advance, when I know that the plate that's currently on the car will change on the day that the insurance will take effect?
Is there any way to do this now, or is it simply a case of using the dealer's 7-day insurance (free, but with an extortionate excess should anything happen) to enable me to get a quote and insure after the plate change?

All I can think of doing is insuring the car on the current plate, and then informing the insurer after the change and just swallowing the inevitable admin fee.

Input from anyone who's done this would be appreciated!

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
Did it on line at no cost.
Bought with normal plates and insured on these, then got private plate and simply did an online change at no cost.
Guess it depends on insurer

·
Type EX,A guy called Mark
3,435 Posts
As per my other thread on a forum suggestion, I've just purchased an A3 Black Edition for the Mrs.
She's got a private plate which the dealership are going to put on, however this raises the question of insuring the vehicle.

How do I go about getting insurance sorted in advance, when I know that the plate that's currently on the car will change on the day that the insurance will take effect?
Is there any way to do this now, or is it simply a case of using the dealer's 7-day insurance (free, but with an extortionate excess should anything happen) to enable me to get a quote and insure after the plate change?

All I can think of doing is insuring the car on the current plate, and then informing the insurer after the change and just swallowing the inevitable admin fee.

Input from anyone who's done this would be appreciated!
Insure at the current reg and then change it when the plates go on.

Your fine if you get pulled over. I did simular when I put mine on.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Might be worth advising them in advance, that way they may waive any proposed admin fee.
This is what I did mate with my insurwnce company when I bought the fn2. I said my private plate will be here within x, and they put a note on my account saying, no probs, calls us back and they changed the plate free of charge without any admin fees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts