2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the new civic burns oil more than previous versions?
Talking with the local service center, they told me that the new engine is design to burn some oil, and probably the oil yellow warning light will turn on every 5000 miles.
Honestly, I was surprise to hear that, since I am driving Hondas for over 20 years and I never had to add oil between services.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
On a new engine it is normal to consume more oil while it is bedding in.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
My old 2.2 consumed a fair amount, usually had to top up about 500ml between the 6k mile oil changes.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
It won't burn much oil. More at first while bedding in. Mine only used 300ml in a year which is nothing.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Assumptions.... possibly not based on truth or knowledge

Greetings,
Dark Flemish

·
Registered
827 Posts
It's the same 1.8 engine as before, why would it now burn more oil?
Maybe because they now put some "fuel-economy" oil which is more fluid ... but still having to top the oil every 5000 miles on a petrol engine :confused:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine civic 1.8 auto is now 7 month old and hasn't used a drop of oil yet??
so my answer must be.. no!

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,253 Posts
I've only done 2000 but my oil level is still where it should be

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is it true that the new civic burns oil more than previous versions?
Talking with the local service center, they told me that the new engine is design to burn some oil, and probably the oil yellow warning light will turn on every 5000 miles.
Honestly, I was surprise to hear that, since I am driving Hondas for over 20 years and I never had to add oil between services.
Hi itzo,

Interesting you should mention this. I have a 1.8 9G which is nine months old. A couple of weeks back the oil warning light came on. Mileage was just over 4000. It took around 700ml of oil to fill it up.

I understand that new cars can burn more oil. However I have owned two 8G civics (1.8) from new and never had to top the oil up in between services. My average mileage is about the same between the 8G and 9G so I found this a slight surprise.

I did hear (but can't confirm it's validity) that the 9G petrol burns slightly more oil as it helps keep this pistons clean. Can anyone confirm or deny?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi itzo,

Interesting you should mention this. I have a 1.8 9G which is nine months old. A couple of weeks back the oil warning light came on. Mileage was just over 4000. It took around 700ml of oil to fill it up.

I understand that new cars can burn more oil. However I have owned two 8G civics (1.8) from new and never had to top the oil up in between services. My average mileage is about the same between the 8G and 9G so I found this a slight surprise.

I did hear (but can't confirm it's validity) that the 9G petrol burns slightly more oil as it helps keep this pistons clean. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Did you check the oil level sinve than?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oil warning light

Did the oil warning light was also in the 8G ? (I did not own the 8g).
Maybe the relatively small oil consumption also existed in the 8G (and before it), but was not noticeable, because the absent of the oil warning light in previous models ....? :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has a 2012 civic, 1.8 petrol. Oil light came on at 4000 miles, i topped it up and it came on again at 8000. She has just taken it to the Honda garage today and they have told her this is normal and to be expected and they also say it says so in the handbook, he is just pointing out to now. So looks like the newer Hondas are will use oil and this is normal.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts