2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally gotten round to adding some much needed products to my list of cleansing ingredients! Dragon's Breath (Iron remover) and Citrus Pre-Wash by Valet Pro and some Poor Boy's Wheel Sealant, though I am yet to receive my applicator pads for that. My wheels had started to require a bit more attention as my Bilberry Wheel cleaner (also Valet Pro) couldn't get the Iron/Tar from the corners.

Please excuse the kerbing!

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire
Automotive exterior Bumper Rim Tire Auto part

Some were definitely worse than others, look at it work its magic :)

Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Auto part

Ta da!

Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Tire

I was a bit disappointed with the citrus pre-wash as it didn't appear to make much headway into my bug splats and general dirt (diluted 1:10 initially), though this could be because we've had a lot of heavy rain recently, giving 3 weeks worth of muck a good rinse.

Sky Cloud Tree Architecture Roof
Automotive exterior Hood Vehicle Auto part Car

After this, I decided I wanted to play with the Iron remover a little more so I gave my dad's Vauxhall Vectra alloys a going over (twice...)

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Rim Wheel

As you can see, they were in quite a state. The car is 55 plate and has covered 140k miles. All it's ever had was sponge and turtlewax/car plan shampoo. A mule then. The rear wheel had a binding caliper due to a worn out pad for a week earlier in the year so that was heavily soiled with baked on brake dust/filings! I'll apologise now for inconsistencies in taking photo's of the same wheel...

Bilberry wheel cleaner first,

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Wheel Rim

Dragon's breath at work,

Alloy wheel Rim Tire Wheel Spoke

Results after 1st application

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Wheel Rim
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Wheel
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Vehicle

Still quite a lot of contamination on some of the wheels and also some discolouration possibly from my dad's attempt at cleaning with Autoglym wheel cleaner and wire brush combo... :facepalm:

Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Auto part

One more application to see what it lifts

Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Tire Auto part

Not surprisingly all the wheels go purple again. Finished with this and just washed the rest of the car.

Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Vehicle

I'm probably going to get some tar remover and clay next so that I can go deeper with decontaminating mine and my parents cars, but that's for another day. I can safely say the iron remover is worth it! I'm going to need another shelf for the products soon :D

Any methods of sorting the discolouration on the alloys detailing guru's?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Looking much better Dan. Get yourself a VP wheel brush with the blue plastic bristles to help agitate and get rid of the stubborn bits.

With the discolouring you could try and polish but if your dad used a wire brush it's likely to have damaged the clear coat so probably looking at a refurb. :(

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking much better Dan. Get yourself a VP wheel brush with the blue plastic bristles to help agitate and get rid of the stubborn bits.

With the discolouring you could try and polish but if your dad used a wire brush it's likely to have damaged the clear coat so probably looking at a refurb. :(
Cheers, I have the soft brush from VP that I use with the wheel cleaner. A stiffer one may be a good idea for the iron remover for my dad's wheels.

I figured it might be damage to the clear coat, he's not all that fussed about them to be honest, just wanted the bulk of the mess off!

·
Premium Member
2008 Civic Type R
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice one Dan, re the Citrus, do you use a pressure washer?
Cheers Shaun, I've got the citrus in a pressure sprayer (weed killer style) applied then left to soak, I then blasted it off with a pressure washer. I used it on the Vectra in a higher concentration (1:6) and it worked better, softening it up for the shampoo wash.

Reactions: shaunwistow

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,687 Posts
Cheers Shaun, I've got the citrus in a pressure sprayer (weed killer style) applied then left to soak, I then blasted it off with a pressure washer. I used it on the Vectra in a higher concentration (1:6) and it worked better, softening it up for the shampoo wash.
Good man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts