2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a new mod that will sort out the fuel filler cap once and for all. It takes 1 minute to fix:

The device is a small bit of spring steel, a bit like half a bulldog clip:

filler1.jpg

You simply unscrew the torx screw under the cable release:

filler2.jpg

And replace the screw with the spring inserted (best to push the whole lot to the rear of the car as you tighten up to make sure the spring is in the correct position):

filler3.jpg

The cap now pops out with some considerable vigour, you can balance small toys on it and launch them quite a distance:

Give your dealer a call and see if they've got their bag of springs. It's good to be able to pull up at a petrol station, pull the lever and hear a satisfying ber-doing!

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you discover this pottsy?
Lots of Honda dealers and people all round Europe talk to me about all sorts of things...

Pottsy
What was the mod that there were doing when they changed the neck and cap?
Not sure, but I imagine that was a stop-gap. This fix is better, cheaper and much easier to fit.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
good

they are doing one mod to mine while its in don't know which one
I can't get a answer as to when i am going to get my car back

Service dept phone always on voicemail or nobody available to talk

Still its a nice day

·
Registered
106 Posts
My dealer mentioned a brand new design for the fuel cap release system when I ordered mine the other day.

I mentioned that I'd read about lots of problems on here. Glad to see they've got it sorted at last and I'm also glad mine will have this fix when I get it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wonder how many executive meetings and millions of pounds R&D went into that peice of bent metal [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,171 Posts
i dont care how much they spent as long as they dont damage my car when fitting it, must be a safer bet than a total fill neck replacement and the damage that is resulting. wont get mine sorted till september when the 1st service is due, mite even be another fix by then:rolleyes:

·
Fallen Angel
1,229 Posts
i dont care how much they spent as long as they dont damage my car when fitting it, must be a safer bet than a total fill neck replacement and the damage that is resulting. wont get mine sorted till september when the 1st service is due, mite even be another fix by then:rolleyes:
Hey Grey 52..not a mark on my Saffy...miond u they did handle her with care to be fair!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is that for real Pottsy?

I had the filler cap and tank top thing replaced and it's been working fine. Until yesterday when it took me three walks back to the driver's side to get the damn thing open again.

I'll be asking my dealer about this new thing.

·
Banned
137 Posts
I must check mine to see how easy it'll open, well I hope it opens 1st time.

Salesman took car to garage for diesel before I picked it up so not had a requirement to pop it, I'm gonna check in morning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dealer mentioned a brand new design for the fuel cap release system when I ordered mine the other day.

I mentioned that I'd read about lots of problems on here. Glad to see they've got it sorted at last and I'm also glad mine will have this fix when I get it in a few weeks.

I've got the redesigned release system fitted last week.

there's no visible difference from the outside, but I'm quite sure you can launch your mother in law in a high orbit around our planet with the new release spring.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Non-opening filler cap

Until yesterday when it took me three walks back to the driver's side to get the damn thing open again.
I agree. New neck fitted over a month ago - it was fine at the start but now takes several pulls on the lever before the lid opens. I was at the point on Friday evening in the filling station of addressing a fellow customer with my usual 'excuse me, would you mind terribly?' when the damn thing opened at the fourth time of trying. A 17k car. What a joke...

KevinF

·
Registered
49 Posts
it took me three walks back to the driver's side to get the damn thing open again.
My dealer has ordered the parts, and waiting for them to arrive.

But when opening it's qute easy to hear the flap both opening and closing again from the drivers seat. So I just pull the handle repeatably until I don't heat it closing again.

And of cause, my car is a LHD so I can see the filler flap in the drivers side mirror.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
When I spoke to dealer about this he mentioned that the garage down the road where they get the fuel from always sends someone out to help the minute a Civic pulls up on the forecourt, usually from the garage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My dealer has ordered the parts, and waiting for them to arrive.

But when opening it's qute easy to hear the flap both opening and closing again from the drivers seat. So I just pull the handle repeatably until I don't heat it closing again.

And of cause, my car is a LHD so I can see the filler flap in the drivers side mirror.
Do you get the metal spring or a new flap?

Sometimes I do have to pull the handle several 3-5 times, but I’m going to wait) if replacement of the flap is the solution) until my Honda-pusher got some practice replacing it.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts