2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just bought an FN1 1.8 Type S GT on an 08 plate, my first car. She's done 54k miles, hasn't had the best service history so will be getting a full service and health check including gearbox oil, valve clearances the whole works done by Hond-R as they are fairly close to me, closer than TGM anyway. Had the car for two weeks, loving it, will do a quick review here for anyone who is interested.

So far I'm becoming a fond lover of the V-TEC, it's very addictive. My clutch pedal is creaking when I lift the pedal up in a low gear and low rev situation, from what I have read both the clutch pedal assembly and the master cylinder can individually cause creaking noises, I've sprayed a load of white lithium grease all over the place, it worked a little bit but I am now under the impression that there is two creaks going on from both the assembly and master cylinder, I will try again to get inside the master cylinder but it is a real pain to get to.

The suspension is quite stiff, going over some bad roads is sometimes causing the steering wheel to jerk quite hard by about an inch. I've been quoted around £400-£440 to get lowering springs fitted and geometry done, but have been told the improvement won't be significant and that I would be better off upgrading to the Type R which is what I wanted but was out of budget slightly. I may end up just getting geometry done as the steering wheel is about 3-4mm to the left off centre. Apart from the suspension which I knew would be bad as its just a torsion beam as I have learnt here, the low centre of gravity makes for a real nice drive on smooth roads.

The sound system is awful, unbearable for me above 30 volume. I'm looking at upgrading to a double din, upgrading all the speakers and getting an amp and underseat subwoofer which is a minefield I'm totally lost in, I know absolutely squat about car audio.

Other than this, I have some funny noises inside the cabin, hopefully Hond-R can reassure me of some of these. Other than that the car is great, well ahead of its time disregarding the suspension of course. A great stop gap for me until I can afford to get the Type-R.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha I think I'm partly deaf. Most of the time I don't listen to music especially when doing a bit of spirited driving but I used to own a pair of Yamaha HS8 studio monitors (turn your house into a nightclub) which I had to get rid of due to noise complaints from neighbours >:) so I am a bit of an audiophile and the car is the only chance I get to turn it up

·
Earth Dreams :)
927 Posts
@Kremmen, think there was a different with the sound quality of the stereo from Gen 8 - Gen 9.. so his 30 could be 12 on your system.
@jeyjey95 Welcome to the forum

That clutch creak is annoying isn't it? Honda just keep spraying lube on that cheap plastic bearing on the clutch pedal assembly and it keeps coming back.. Will be returned yet again to be sorted out. Goes away for a while, then comes back. The Mrs was not happy last time cause whatever they used stunk the car out... Been on Honda's forever n a day, and they don't seem to want to fix it as it actually doesn't fail - just annoys the crap out the owner.. The CMC - that's a whole different ball game! Check for leak along the bottom of the CMC, if the piston is worn due to misaligned and wearing the seal - that'll need changing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mate, got an update for the squeaky clutch. I went for a spin again later on in the night and the creaking noise had completely gone. I do think its the pedal assembly which is causing the noise as you mentioned as I didn't really spray the CMC unless it was by accident. It is a shame honda won't fix it because it doesn't give you much confidence letting go of the clutch through 1 and 2 haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts