2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

New Jazz - Service Indicator Light

51K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  madasafish 
#1 ·
My Wife's Jazz (new from 01-03-09) has now covered approx 6500 miles and the service indicator light has come on.

She is no boy racer and drives the car very well in my opinion, our previous Jazz didn't do this at such a low mileage.

Normal service interval for this Model is 12500 miles (or 12 Months) - Have booked it in at Honda Dealer to be looked at/or serviced!!

Has anyone else had this happen on this new Model at such low mileage?

#2 ·
My understanding is that the service indicator is a reminder when the service is due. and counts down in blocks of ten days untill it gets closer tot e due date.

If it has come on early it is possible that the initial PDI was done early or was the car a pre reg?

What does the owners manual say?

#3 ·
My understanding is that the service indicator is a reminder when the service is due. and counts down in blocks of ten days untill it gets closer to the due date.

If it has come on early it is possible that the initial PDI was done early or was the car a pre reg?

What does the owners manual say?
Alan,

Thanks for your input, the car was not a pre-reg and was purchased new on 1st March '09 - 'BUT' the Car market was slow at this time and for a few months before (Econ Crisis!), perhaps the car was stored for a long time at Honda following it's shipping from Japan.

If, as you pointed out, the service indicator counts down in blocks of ten days (didn't know that), then this would contribute significantly to the early service warning Indicator coming on at such low mileage.

Will discuss this with the Honda service manager on Monday and in the meantime will study the Owners Manual.

#4 ·
Service indicator

A little late but maybe usefull for other Jazz owners...
Had my Jazz for about a month, and my service indicator also came on way too early. Called Honda Denmark, and was explained that the car also informed what kind og service it required. It turned out it was a pollen filter that needed to be changed. I cancelled the messages and it knows states the Kilometer to the next normal service coming up. You can read in the manual what kind of service the car requires and how to cancel it.

I was told, disappointly, by Honda Denmark I should not expect to drive 20.000 km between services.

#5 ·
See my #1 Post.

Car was duly serviced at a meagre 6900 miles and the indicator reset (It had indicated an 'A' service).

Yesterday the the service Indicator light came on again, but no 'A' or 'B' indication - only 1000+ miles on from previous service (8010 miles).

Have booked it in AGAIN!

Was assured that because I have the 5 year prepaid service plan any number of services (or indicated services) will be covered by Honda UK.

Has anyone else had any similar problems??

#8 ·
I have also experienced a problem with the service light on my wifes Jazz. We purchased it brand new in July 2009. The service light has come on at (4600 miles 6 months) and and it is asking for an A+B service. I am taking it back to Honda on monday as this surely cant be right. I have been reading the manual and I can only assume from the maintennance schedule (on vehicles without service book) that the car is assuming severe driving conditions. According to the manual if a trip is less that 5 miles it is classed as severe driving conditions. As my wife only uses it to pick up our daughter and go to work which is less than 5 miles per trip this must be what is causing the service light to come on very early. I also have my doubts about the mileometer reading but lets see what Honda says on monday

#9 ·
My wifes new model Jazz also has a similar problem. Bought new in Ocober 08. serviced in Oct '09. Had done only 1545 miles (in Feb) since last service indicater is showing a oil change is needed. I have written to Honda but did not got a helpful response. Basically they are saying if the indicator says the oil needs changing then it does. This is going to be a very expensive to run. I think they have a problem on this car that they are reluctant to admit

#10 ·
My wifes new model Jazz also has a similar problem. Bought new in Ocober 08. serviced in Oct '09. Had done only 1545 miles (in Feb) since last service indicater is showing a oil change is needed. I have written to Honda but did not got a helpful response. Basically they are saying if the indicator says the oil needs changing then it does. This is going to be a very expensive to run. I think they have a problem on this car that they are reluctant to admit
Would totally agree, if I didn't have the 5 Year service plan, and knowing that the car does not receive 'Rough' Treatment, but does cover shorter runs, I would ignore taking it in so often AND I do believe you can reset the trip (see Owners Manual) - this, in the long term would save you a lot of Money - BUT, how, I wonder would this ongoing, ridiculous situation affect the 3 Year Warranty??

#11 ·
New Jazz Service Indicator Light

My service light came on just as my new-style Jazz passed through the 6,000 mile mark.

My local Honda dealership told me that the onboard computer couldn't possibly be wrong and that my car needed a service. They went on to say that I must have been doing too much city driving. I told them that my daily commute is a 50/50 mix of urban and motorway driving. They basically told me that this didn't matter and that the computer knows best. They then handed me the bill.

The upshot of this story is that I've had to shell out £135 on a service that I don't believe was necessary.

My formal letter of complaint will be on its way to Honda UK tomorrow. :(

#14 ·
My service light came on just as my new-style Jazz passed through the 6,000 mile mark.

My local Honda dealership told me that the onboard computer couldn't possibly be wrong and that my car needed a service. They went on to say that I must have been doing too much city driving. I told them that my daily commute is a 50/50 mix of urban and motorway driving. They basically told me that this didn't matter and that the computer knows best. They then handed me the bill.

The upshot of this story is that I've had to shell out £135 on a service that I don't believe was necessary.

My formal letter of complaint will be on its way to Honda UK tomorrow. :(
Honda UK have advised me that they are aware of this service light problem and are currently working on a fix for it.

I was told that the oil analyser is "too sensitive" and that they hope/intend to release a firmware/software upgrade to resolve this problem. They weren't able to provide any indication as to timescale for the release of this fix.

When I have more news on this I'll post it here.

#12 ·
Oil analysis

I suspect the only way to sort this out is for an oil analysis to be carried out. Might be worth putting this to Honda UK. No doubt they will not listen but if someone was willing to fork out, then some evidence would be available. Our Jazz is the older version, so no indicator light.:eek:

#13 ·
i bought another jazz after i part exchanged the old jazz a 03 for a 07 jazz. I had money to buy the mk2 jazz but decided against it due to the variable servicing as i do roughly 4500 miles per year, i would have similar problems by the new jazz asking for service every 4-5 months

#16 ·
We have a Honda Jazz 9 months old 5250 miles on the clock with the display advising a type A service is due in 20 miles .Is this normal as most modern cars have a 12000 or 12 month service interval ? I have spoken to the local dealer but have not received a convincing reply .If this is a common problem I think the manufacturer should make purchasers aware of this when selling the vehicle from new.

#17 ·
I have a similar problem. My old model Jazz was serviced every 12000 miles costing around £150 a time, £250 for a major service. About one service a year/10 months.

The new Jazz with variable service intervals has demanded 2-3 services a year despite my mileage dropping. They seem to be pretty much all a quick inspection and new oil. Still £150 a go so the running costs have effectively doubled despite doing fewer miles, far fewer motorway miles, daily run to work is A roads 7-8 miles each way plus 2 trips a week at 2-3 miles and some shopping runs at the weekend (2 miles).

I couldn't believe my eyes when it kept demanding services every 4 months or so. It wants another one now for mid December and I wasn't offered the 3 year service option deal. I've only done 19-20 000 miles in 21 months.

I am getting rid as soon as possible (2 years ownership in March 2011) due to financial difficulties that have been made significantly worse by the cost of running this car compared to its predecessor (which in hindsight I should have kept).

If Graham455 has any further updates from Honda that this is a fault then I would be very pleased to hear it! I will also ask Honda when I go in for the service next month, though it might have to wait till the new year.

#19 ·
Guys the new jazz comes fitted with a SVRS system. Which stands for service vehicle reminder system. Basically the car moniters the way you drive, millege etc. They use a code based system which is displayed on the dash to let you and the dealer know what needs changed at the service. Ie AB service would be a engine oil and filter change which is A. B would be a healthcheck over the car. If your a high millege user the car will count down in miles for service. If you dont really drive it then the car will count down by days. The arrow going to the car is counting down. The arrow going away from the car means your over due.

#20 ·
New Jazz SAervice intervals

andyt,

I think we know the Service reminder system exists - The point is, and what I and many others are saying is:-

That many of us still use our cars the same way that we did with our previous model Jazz (In my case my Wife).

Absolutely nothing has changed in the 'WAY' we use this Model - 'EXCEPT' that in 15000 miles ours has been in for '4 Services in 19 Months.

Our previous Model (which we had from new and covered 67000 miles and operated in the same way, happily survived on 1 Service per Year (or approx 12000 miles)!!

So the point is - WHY should this model be so different and require so many frequent Services???

ALSO, (though it doesn't effect me) these ongoing costs for some will be truly expensive!

Do you know of 'ANY' other Manufacturers Model(s) that operate in this way with such a Highly Sensitive service reminder?

#22 ·
New Jazz Servicing

-------------------------------------But i do believe there is an option now to have the normal 1 year service interval or the svrs system switched on at pdi
That's interesting, I was not made aware of this at the last (recent) service, though I did ask if Honda had issued any updates to the SVRS - I was told NO!

Have you validated this info with an official Honda dealer?

#23 ·
First oil change due at 16,500 miles... about 20 months

According to my Variable Service Indicator, my first 'A' service (includes first oil change) will be due at 16,500 miles (and about 20 months) after buying my GE Jazz brand new.

Based on car usage to date about half those miles will be long-distance, 'hot' running (ideal engine conditions) while the other half will be short trips, cool/cold running and around town... within two freezing winters... altogether much, much less ideal for an engine and/or not oil-friendly.

According to my Honda dealer who gave it a 'B' service while checking out the Variable Service indicator, all's OK with it.

If in fact this is how the variable service computation **should** work, that's very interesting oil change economies...

Interesting contrast to previous posts here. Such a contrast... I wonder...

Any comments anyone?

#34 ·
According to my Variable Service Indicator, my first 'A' service (includes first oil change) will be due at 16,500 miles (and about 20 months) after buying my GE Jazz brand new.

Based on car usage to date about half those miles will be long-distance, 'hot' running (ideal engine conditions) while the other half will be short trips, cool/cold running and around town... within two freezing winters... altogether much, much less ideal for an engine and/or not oil-friendly.

According to my Honda dealer who gave it a 'B' service while checking out the Variable Service indicator, all's OK with it.

If in fact this is how the variable service computation **should** work, that's very interesting oil change economies...

Interesting contrast to previous posts here. Such a contrast... I wonder...

Any comments anyone?
My first A came up after 3,000M. It has already had 3 services and I have not yet hit 11,000 miles. I am beginning to think it is all a big con to make business for Honda garages!

#24 ·
Just thought I'd chime in here. Bought my Jazz 1.4ES last year (manual trans), variable servicing light appeared a few weeks ago.

Amber spanner symbol appeared but no 'i' symbol. I simply ignored it until closer to my "1st year" date and then got it serviced (this week).

I asked them to disable the variable frequency service schedule so that I can revert to a "normal" yearly one.

All the service chap said to me was that variable servicing couldn't be turned back on (I therefore assumed that the light would go from 'randomly turning on every now and then' to 'turning on every year' - but this is not the case). It turns out that all that they've done is permanently disabled the light itself so I will never get a service reminder again (ever).
This doesn't really matter because it's easy to remember the service time as it's also Tax time (and in a couple of years also MOT time) so once the DVLA send me a reminder for the road tax, I'll do everything in one go.

The thing that has slightly annoyed me is that at no point in my car buying process, nor in the brochures, nor via the sales staff did anyone ever mention "variable servicing" to me.
I think it's fine to have the option, but Honda should really make it plain from the outset that they have this and ALSO that it can be easily 'rectified' should you request it at service time.

The only way I knew about it is from reading forums like these - not ideal imo, Honda should've "come clean" from the outset (I even bought Honda Happiness and they still didn't mention "random servicing light" at ANY point).

Still, it's been "fixed" now and the cynical part of me (which believes that NO car needs more than yearly servicing otherwise it isn't roadworthy imo) has been tied up and gagged again :D (No more wasting time and effort getting "needless" services done - anyone else believe this is just a cheap scam in order to try and "sell" Honda Happiness to us :worms:?).

#25 ·
...Is it true about an 'unlimited' number of services during your 'plan' period?

We paid for the 48 month plan. Had the 'a' service at about 8000 miles and the 'b' service is now due apparently, about 300 miles to go. The car is on around 12500 miles so will have had 2 services in the time I thought it would have needed only 1.

At this rate we will have used 4 services within 25000 miles and only 2 years.
So will we get them free for 48 months??

Don't recall being offered a 5 year plan at time of purchase.. just a 4 year one.

#26 ·
New Jazz Servicing

...Is it true about an 'unlimited' number of services during your 'plan' period?

We paid for the 48 month plan. Had the 'a' service at about 8000 miles and the 'b' service is now due apparently, about 300 miles to go. The car is on around 12500 miles so will have had 2 services in the time I thought it would have needed only 1.

At this rate we will have used 4 services within 25000 miles and only 2 years.
So will we get them free for 48 months??

Don't recall being offered a 5 year plan at time of purchase.. just a 4 year one.

Was in my Local Honda Dealership today (for my Civics 3rd year Service + MOT) and I again asked if our New '09 Jazz was covered for unlimited services under the 5 Year (£540) Budget service plan we took out soon after buying the car.

Was assured 'Yes', (have already had 4 Services (A or B)) in 15500 miles.

I was never told that you could buy a 4 year plan!!

Could they have given you the 1st year service free and just expressed the remaining time as a 4 year plan, when in fact 'Overall' it actually was the normal 5 year option?

How much did they Charge you??

#28 ·
My suggestion is to go back to your Dealer and get this sorted out - ask them to clarify that if multi-services (more than one per year or 12500 miles) are needed, that they will be covered by 'YOUR' (£500) budget Service Plan.

#29 ·
...Booked in for service now. Wont be for a couple of weeks as we wanted a courtesy car, (£7.95 now! dont think we paid anything last time) asked about the number of services and was told as many as it needs for 4 years. So thats good :D

Readout says 150 miles to go so will be overdue by the time the garage gets it. Hope that wont be a problem.

#31 ·
any advice welcomed

purchased my 59 plate a year ago and in that time I have had 2 servies mini and major one last one done in may this year and service management indicator going off again. needs oil and filter change and pollen change £172.00 and to switch light off I just put the phone down, lucky I have 2 years free servicing but obviously this is not included, and im sure in may I had a oil change and fiter, I only drive urban driving to work and back 10 miles each way. surely that does not warrant another oil change. I have had enough just leaving the light running, gonna check with a friend who makes the honda cars for info.

any one having the same prob

#32 ·
purchased my 59 plate a year ago and in that time I have had 2 servies mini and major one last one done in may this year and service management indicator going off again. needs oil and filter change and pollen change £172.00 and to switch light off I just put the phone down, lucky I have 2 years free servicing but obviously this is not included, and im sure in may I had a oil change and fiter, I only drive urban driving to work and back 10 miles each way. surely that does not warrant another oil change. I have had enough just leaving the light running, gonna check with a friend who makes the honda cars for info.

any one having the same prob
see my post in the other thread that you have posted this in, it should explain.

#36 ·
I am also fed up with this SVRS system on the Honda Jazz. Bought it new in July 2009. (09 reg). It came up after 6000 miles from new. I was then told it wouldn't occur for another year. Once again 6000 miles or so and back it came. In May last year the dealer offered to disable it permanently, but said that it couldn't be re-activated. Great - who wants it? It was de-activated according to the service invoice.

Guess what - it has just come up again after 5500 miles and 11 months. I suspect that someone forgot to switch it off! Back to the dealer next week...

No more Honda Jazz's for me. Also fed up with all this beeping in the Jazz.

Also have a VW (59 reg) which has a very sensible system which works fine.

#37 ·
Low mileage servicing

I write as new member who has run - or rather whose wife has run - low mileage cars for over a long period of decades:)

We have never had any problems with them and I service them every year - oe every two years - without fail irrepssective of mileage changing oil and oile filter regularly.

Why? because low mileages with stop /start and engines rarely getting hot - mean oil gets full of moisture and contaminants which are never boiled off when the oil heats up.. because it never heats up.

Short journeys/shopping trips/picking up kids /relatives etc kill engines eventually. The cost of an oil and filter change every two years is nothing.. vs the cost of a new engine.

(Of course I diy so save lots of money).

For the record we ran a Mini estate - from 1978 to 1993 and a Peugeot 106 diesel from 1993 to 2007 with under 50 k miles covered in those periods and no engine issues.. about 4k miles a year.
And oil and filter changes every 1-2 years..

If your car runs more than 2 years between oil changes you risk all sorts of maladies for the sake of a few pounds in servicing costs..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.