2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From early March we have had to implement a scheme whereby Moderators approve new registrations.

This was forced upon us by a series of spam attacks from Korea, Taiwan and the Phillipines involving up to 500 spam posts a day to be dealt with.

Hopefully we can remove it periodically to see if it starts up again.

I've been told that we are not the only forum to be hit.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Yeah the important thing is managing to get valid people activated in good time tho. Lots of sites have this rule and some I've joined before have taken a week or so to activate my membership etc. It put me off using those sites to be honest so wouldn't want to see this happen here. With the couple extra bods on board over the past week it should be manageable tho

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Yeah the important thing is managing to get valid people activated in good time tho. Lots of sites have this rule and some I've joined before have taken a week or so to activate my membership etc. It put me off using those sites to be honest so wouldn't want to see this happen here. With the couple extra bods on board over the past week it should be manageable tho
agreed - it is nice when you sign up and within a few minutes/hours they activate your account :D

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was temporarily suspended a few days ago as we've not had to stop any new registrations from the known trouble spots.

We are ready to turn it on again should they start again.

The auto registration block based on other criteria is still in force though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
As a new member, and user of other forums, I'd like to say I found it no problem at all. It's to be expected, seems to be a good way of preventing spammers, and the process took a couple of hours - well worth the wait :)
Same, joined up couple of weeks back and had no qualms with waiting for account to be activated. Fairly standard procedure, I thought. :)

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PITA this end though :(

My record was 13 to check and approve but others have had 20 to deal with in one session.

·
Administrator
18,006 Posts
According to this years logs, March 7th had the most new users signing up at a whoppin' 41!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts