Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Own other Honda eg bike, mower etc

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you been a previous Civic owner before buying the present one?

It will be my first Honda

I wonder if the poll results were what Honda expected.

For those who had Civics before and not now what did they buy instead? "Focus" on the subject might be a clue perhaps

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I have never owned a Honda before, but I mentioned I was looking at getting the Civic to workmates and they had only good things to say about Honda. It helped make my mind up which was already about 90% made up. I was only doubting it as I wrote off my last car which was a Ford Focus and it was only my second car after driving for only 2 years. At the time I didnt think it was a good idea spending the money on the car and £1400 on insurance.

But now, I am so glad I did and would of regretted it for a very long time if I hadn't. And I will definatly get another Honda if 1. I ever get bored of this one, or 2. A better one comes out (Type R?) ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
As a dealer we are seeing an awful lot of other makes coming in as a part exchange.

Clients are so well informed now, they not only go for the outstanding looks of the car, but also the value for mney that is offered by Honda as a whole.

It sounds very biased, but that is what the majority of the 'other brand clients are saying.

I would say its a fifty fifty split, with many younger clients discovering the brand for the first time

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
If it hadn't been for the new design, both inside and out, I still wouldn't have brought one. Previous Civic was a lovely car, but not my choice.

When we walked into the showroom my wife said "ooh, I like that one!", pointing at the Civic. "That's what we're here to look at" said I. :lol:

·
Registered
61 Posts
This one will be my third I a row. Bought my first civic 1.5 vtec 5d saloon second hand in 1998 and had it for 5 years before buying my current 1.6 Inspire new in 2003. Main reasons are economy, reliabilty, value and comfort. for the new one I think you can now add the wow factor as well :D

·
estranged
391 Posts
The new Civic is my first Honda.

I'd always thought of Honda as a kind of upmarket Rover, but their current range is very attractive. I'd considered the CRV, and even looked at the Accord, but the Civic appealed to me the most.

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
I hadn't even considered Honda until I caught sight of the new Civic. The perception I had of most Japanese marques was that the styling rarely matched that of European cars, even though they were probably better machines underneath. Rightly or wrongly I also had Honda cars down as boring and more popular with older drivers. When I saw the new Civic though all that changed in an instant: a fantastic looking car that was also Japanese.

I was so impressed I marched out and bought one! :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Brand loyalty

Six Hondas in a row and they are:-

An HR-V, Two Civics ( both 1.6 Exec autos.) , a CR-V Exec. Auto, a Jazz Sport Auto. and now the EX i-Shift.

I must say for a supermini the Jazz is unbeatable but the new Civic trumps the lot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This will be my first Honda, after a Fiat and two Peugeots.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
My first Honda also- Never really paid much attention to the brand until the 2006 Civic (saw the Dealer today, the originally planned February 2007 delivery has now become November 2006- Yay!)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Used to run Toyotas for 12 years until I found my Series 6 Civic Ex.

Very happy with that until that Geneva Show & ver 8 was annouced!!

Must have that car!!

Now got that car!!!

Better steering, better brakes, better power.........better looking!!!

Long live the Spaceship! [smilie=hiya.gif]

·
Registered
450 Posts
This has been as my name implies my 3rd Honda. Previous one was a Civic 1.7 Coupe, and before that an Accord Aerodeck.

Both the previous ones were USA built, and were excellent cars, with high quality materials and beautiful build standard. Both were pleasant if slightly dull to drive, very reliable and well designed. The Accord was 13 years old when I replaced it with the Civic, and had 115000 miles, and not a spot of rust anywhere. The Civic never had a single service visit other than routine services, and never had a single fault in 3 years.

The present Civic is an excellent car, but has been mildly disappointing. The materials used are not of the same quality (silver coloured plastic trim, poor thin covering on the rear of the fold down seats (the Accord was thick sturdy carpet), cheap looking plastic on the dashboard). So far it has had to have two unscheduled visits for minor faults to be corrected. It is however very nice to drive, comfortable, generally well thought out, fairly fast and very economical if not pushed.

Both previous Hondas have been serviced at Honda dealers, where the service has been good, but very expensive. I expect this one to be even more expensive in part due to the high cost of the oil needed, and in part due to the tigh space in the engine bay. I would love to find this is not so, but.......well time will tell.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Never owned a Honda before, was looking at Audi A4/A3, Volkswagen Passat and had test drives wife not too impressed. Got home she suggested a 'more funky' car and I showed her the civic on the Honda website. Drove to the dealers (8:00 pm on a sunday night) when she saw the civic in the flesh so's to speak that was it forget aything else it had to be the civic for both of us :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked at Audi A3 (and also the A2 before it ceased), Mercedes A Class Mk2, VW Golf, Vauxhall Astra, Toyota Corolla, Seat Leon, Skoda Fabia VRS and the BMW new 1 series

Honda impressed the most except for the fake aluminium trim in the interior which I am not keen on.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
As it was time to change the company car, and we had recently moved back into the middle of Cardiff, we sat down and started from scratch.

I was paying about £200 per month in contributions for my TT, and we were also running my wife's 206, purely for the odd occasion when my 2 lads were with us and we needed to use a car.

So - shopping list was:
5 seats
0-60 of under 9 seconds
sensible - but not TOO sensible :twisted:
something that I could quite happily park in the works car park (sad I know, but true :oops: )
something a little bit cheaper - 'boy toy car' vs 'family holiday'...

Looked at all sorts - Scoobies, BMWs, Audis, all the usual suspects...

Went out with daughter one Saturday to kill some time whilst wife was cracking on with some stuff for Uni, and decided to just mooch round all the showrooms.

Only went into Honda as we'd parked up and it was on the same road as all the others LOL

But then got as far as the door handles on the Civic and figured it was worth a closer look :p

And the rest, as they say, is history :p :p :p

So no, no previous Honda cars :)

And only one previous Honda 'bike - but luckily (for Honda) that was a long time ago, and I've gotten over it now :shock:
(Honda GL650 SilverWing for any bikers out there - CX500 taken out to 650cc and with GoldWing plastics - went like a sick dog)

·
Registered
382 Posts
My second Honda. We had a Shuttle a few years ago which was great for space but cost a fortune to run.

I have now had my Civic for 4 months and I have never enjoyed a car as much :D

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Interesting poll, this one. Never even contemplated a Honda before - always been premium German cars (Audi, Porsche, BMW, VW). Amazing to see how many people the Civ has dragged over to the Honda brand (though I have in the past owned several Honda bikes).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts