1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

tried to answer a PM today and was greeted with the message: :facepalm:
Civinfo said:
To be able to send PMs your post count must be 15 or greater.

You currently have 7 posts and you can send PMs to following users only:
TTDegs, Mattay, Farqui, Pottsy, Jayne, basegreen, Kremmen, FWH, HappyMan, Dimplyred, wanner69, Civ_Admin, [email protected], AutoGuide.com
(Only admins imho?)

I couldn't find this in the rules or in any announcement thread; and I was able to send/ receive messages before.

Was this rule newly induced because of the spam posts?
Is it a mistake? If not, what about excluding Supporters from this (I highly doubt that a spammer will pay money to fulfill its work...)?

Am I now forced to quickly write eight more posts somewhere to be able to answer my messages? :(

Best Wishes,
Florian

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Correct, it's a recent and possibly temporary measure introduced in an attempt to prevent the site being bombarded with SPAM.

Admin's are monitoring how effective the measures are and further changes may be necessary.

It may be a pain in the short term but I'm sure you can also appreciate that something must be done until the situation is under control and resolved.

I would also ask that you don't abuse the rule and SPAM messages until you boost your post count.

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
What is more inconvenient is having to get up at 04:00 gmt to clear out hundreds of spam posts so you wake up to a clean forum. I cleared out over 500 posts both Monday and Tuesday mornings. Yesterday it was only 100. Today it is clear but I don't know yet if anyone has beaten me to it.

As far as I know there is also a similar minimum post count before you can insert images and links into posts as well.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
What is more inconvenient is having to get up at 04:00 gmt to clear out hundreds of spam posts so you wake up to a clean forum. I cleared out over 500 posts both Monday and Tuesday mornings. Yesterday it was only 100. Today it is clear but I don't know yet if anyone has beaten me to it.

As far as I know there is also a similar minimum post count before you can insert images and links into posts as well.
I'll be monitoring for spam post throughout my night shift

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I think you will get that happening? Maybe a thread where people can spam may help? I have been on another forum that had one and it seemed to work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
On a side note, i now cant post a new thread in the for sale section, i dont know if that has to be changed by an admin or what

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
That spamming to get a higher post count will not work.

In the case here the posts have been removed as spam and the post count reduced.

What we don't want is spamming and it will be dealt with. 15 posts is not that difficult to achieve as a forum contributer.

In this instance the spammer has been given a 5 day holiday.

The 15 post limit helps us trap spammers, like it has done in this instance, and the spam trap picked up a quick series of posts.

Having dealt with close on 700 spam posts this week this was not welcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.