2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the welcome and the forum. I'm also new to Honda. It's reliability and quality image attracted me and my wife.
I reckon the Civic is the one for us but unsure of which engine to aim for so I am hoping the knowledge and experience of Civinfo can direct us.
I retire in 2015 and once a year we'd like to drive from Nottingham through France and into Germany and return loaded up with wine and wine! So there's a load to transport and lengthy autobahn driving.
Could anyone say if the 1.4 petrol would be up to the mark. Great for day to day pootling but I've never ran a car less than 1.6 before so would prefer the 1.8 from habit. It's got to be a 'previously cherished' late model Civic. Any one help?
Thanks in advance and regards
mgp

·
Administrator
18,008 Posts
Hello mgp and welcome to Civinfo from just up the A46 :)

How many miles do you estimate you'll be doing annually?

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
welcome to the forum!

That drive will be fantastic. Me and a friend took his 2.2 to the nurburgring, via amsterdam, then through belgium and france to andorra, then on to spain, before driving for a ferry home.

I'd recommend the 2.2 for the MPG and for the extra torque, making it a fun car to drive. It'll keep you entertained on those long trips!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello mgp and welcome to Civinfo from just up the A46 :)

How many miles do you estimate you'll be doing annually?
Thanks for interest. when I retire I reckon maybe 6000 a year...maybe up to 8000 if we do more pootling about.

·
Administrator
18,008 Posts
Hmmm, tricky one. I'm not sure about the 1.4 petrol but I know the 2.2 diesel will waft along and eat up the miles. The trouble is, that you really won't be doing enough miles to warrant the extra fuel and servicing costs of a derv.

But if you like the torque of the diesel then there's nothing stopping you joining us oil burners ;)

Have you test driven any Civic's yet?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd buy a type r and enjoy the miles ;) welcome to the club. In all seriousness with the mileage you do I probably wouldn't buy the 2.2diseasal I'd go for the 1.8 just for that little bit more poke over the 1.4

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Had a 1.4 for a year before getting an fn2.
Was the i-dsi with 80 odd bhp, not the newer one with 100.

Was comfy enough and a decent enough car but personally found it really underpowered.

Depends what you are after to be honest. I dont bother with mpg or that as i dont commute to work and enjoy a good blast whenever possible so fn2 was best for me.

If you dont bother about the car being quick and just want a nice place to sit in and good reliability then the 1.4 would probably be fine for you.

Reckon the 2.2 would be the best for your road trip mind you but maybe not for the rest of the year.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Welcome Im also just up the A46 too. Are you going for the newer model(2012 onwards)? If so the 1.6 diesel would give you a decent blend of driveability coupled with excellent fuel economy, that would be the one I would go for, I have a 1.8 and whilst very reliable and good on fuel it has to be worked to get the best from it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Hi mgp,
And welcome to the forum.
I bought a 1.4 Type S 2009 with 25,000 6 weeks ago and it's the best car I've had but I can only compare it to Fiesta's , Corsa's 1.2s which were brand new company cars over 15 years and a 07 Astra 1.7 Diesel and Honda HRV 1.6 which was my last car.
I bought the car because it looks sporty , has all the toys , Luxurious inside and fuel economy.
Most of my driving is done on the motorway commuting smooth roads and I find it's perfect for that. ( Long drives open roads ).
Once you get the speed up on the motorway it's great.( Sit back and relax 6th gear )
City driving is a different story , It's not quick away from lights and junctions and it can be a bumpy ride due to the stiffer suspension and poorer roads
The road holding and cornering is superb and instills confidence , goes exactly where you point it.
I love it and I'm happy I got this model it does the job for me , I'm now a relax and enjoy kinda driver.
I think having had more powerful engines you might be better suited to the 1.8 or 2.2 diesel with softer suspension or the 9th gen 1.6 diesel which was mentioned.
Also I may be wrong but I think the 1.4 only comes in a two door , other forum members may know better
Hope this helps,
Kind Regards,
Supergunn.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Hi there, welcome.

I'm also new to the world of honda. Recently brought a 2008 2.2 type s. Averaging 45 mpg I do a lot of motorway miles. Cannot speak highly enough of the 2.2 engine.

Anyway, sounds a beautiful trip you have planned, stay safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd like to say thank you to all of you for the options and suggestions. I reckon the diesel may be a later possible but while we're still new to Civics ( or will be if I can find a nice used one) I think we'll have a look for a 1.8 petrol. It should give a bit of pulling power for trips and I guess may have to work less hard on all day French motorways.
Next question proves I know nowt about Honda engines. CVT and all these fn2 etc means....? I was wondering if anyone could explain ( of course it's for my wife's benefit. Ahem !) Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Fn 2 is the Honda code for a type r, i think there should be more information in the wiki section, failing that Im sure someone else will help you out. Your choice on the 1.8 is a sound one in my opinion i have one and its been utter reliable only needing usual things ie tyres and brakes, its starts on the turn of the key every time. Be warned though they have to be worked to get the best out of them so don't expect to put your foot down in 6th gear and expect it to leap away that's not how this engine works, you have to drive it but that's how Honda designed it. It will however go well and give good fuel economy, again look in the wiki section for loads of info. Good luck with finding one, mine has leather and its makes it feel more up market, the wife loves the heated seats!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts