2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all, if you're new or fairly new to the forum, then welcome! This thread is designed to inform you of why you should by an 8th Gen Honda Civic. Do not be put off by the threads in the forum that talk of problems, all cars have them, and the Civic is no exception. However, as you will learn there are some very compelling reasons to purchase a Civic, rather than merely settling for a less exciting vehicle.

For longtime users, this is designed to defend the Civic, as forums can be a place where members overestimate the problems that exist on the car, this thread is designed to put prospective owners at their ease. Rest assured, the faults will be given due attention, but please do not post about your own problems, only positive experiences. (There are enough places already for problem posts on the forum)

The reasons why you should buy a Civic.
:D

Styling
When did you last come across a family hatchback with such a bold design? It stands out from every other car on the road, and is truly different from the norm. From the more humble models all the way up to the firebreathing Type-R, the car turns heads wherever it goes. No other manufacturer has dared to be so bold, and the Civic has a real feelgood factor when behind the wheel. No wonder its nicknamed 'The Spaceship'!

This theme continues on the inside of the car, the dashboard is like something from a cockpit of a fighter plane! The layout of the controls may appear slightly confusing at first, but all the important buttons/switches/dials are situated in just the right places for complete ease of operation. The instrumentation is a work of art, especially the rev counter, and the amount of information on display is most informative, and can be switched between modes quickly and safely using the buttons on the steering wheel. The steering wheel itself is of a design that has yet to be bettered by its competitors, its a very nice wheel to hold and the controls placed on the wheel are very easy to use.

Practicality
Thought you needed an estate car did you? Think again! The Civic has more storage than you could imagine possible, it really is a tardis like interior. The boot is massive, much bigger than say the Golf or Astra, and it also has a hidden false floor. There is also plenty of storage in the cockpit, glovebox (chilled), door pockets, in dash storage and driver's armrest cubby hole, making for plenty of opportunity to store all manner of bits and bobs.

The Civic's practicality party piece however, is a very good one! The rear seats are known as 'Magic Rear Seats', and enable you to fit items into the car that you would have thought of as being impossible. The base of the seats can be lifted and locked against the backrest, allowing large screen televisions and mountain bikes, and other large items, to be stored safely, and with no fuss or bother. This feature is only available on the Honda Civic and Honda Jazz, no other manufacturer can offer such an innovative storage solution. The five-door rear doors open to a 90 degree angle, further assisting in loading large objects. The rear seat backrest can of course be folded down in the traditional fashion, although not at the same time as the seat base being folded up.

Ease of Driving/Operation
A very easy car to drive, long distances are no problem whatsoever. The seats are firm but don't take too long to get used to. The gearchange can be taken care of for you by the new for 2009 automatic gearbox, or by the semi-automatic option known as 'i-Shift'. This option has the facility to change gear manually with steering wheel paddles, or the traditional shift lever, or can be left in auto.

The power steering is nice and light and the steering wheel can be adjusted for both rake and reach, making for very easy progress. The wheel itself has controls for the stereo (MP3 & WMA compatible) and trip computer as standard (higher models have more functions such as cruise control operated from the steering wheel), these are very simple to use and are well placed.

The trip computer displays a dazzling array of information, along with a menu for personalising what warnings you wish to see. UK cars are also fitted with a switch to convert the digital speedo and computer from MPH to KM/H, so no need to worry when travelling abroad. Speed warnings are also available on the computer, and can be activated to give warnings for two different speeds.

The Civic is fitted with Climate Control (dual zone on some models), to help you keep nice and refreshed on your journey. This can be left on auto mode with your selected temperature maintained. The system can also be used manually, like a more traditional air conditioning system if need be.

Reliability
Honda's unsurpassed reputation for reliability is well deserved, they just don't break down. If you're used to a French or Italian car for example, this will be a welcome change. The Vtec engine is rightly famous for its durability, even the high revving Type-R engine is bombproof, when did you last see one on the hard shoulder with a raised bonnet? No more worry about whether the car will start, the Civic wont let you down. There are a few minor build quality concerns, these will be touched upon later.

Specification
What more could you need on a car? Satnav, HFT, Climate Control, Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, HIDs, Electric Folding & Adjustable Mirrors, Electric Windows (front & rear), Trip Computer, Glass Roof, Cruise Control, Alarm, Airbags, Chilled Glovebox, Remote Locking, Magic Seats, MP3/WMA CD Player, Automatic and i-Shift Gearboxes are just some of the toys available, many as standard.

Problems to watch out for.:(
No car is perfect, and the Civic does have its minor faults.

Paint
The quality of the paint used is a source of irritation to many Civic owners due to its ability to pickup stonechips on the bonnet. Some cars are affected worse than others.

Build Quality/Rattles
This is an area that seems to cause the most tribulation amongst Civic owners, although I must stress, not all Civic owners suffer from rattling cars, most cars are fine. Other build quality issues have included the fuel filler not opening, but this is now fixed. Suspension is another area with minor problems, many Civic owners have reported noise from the suspension, again not all Civic's suffer this problem. The suspension itself is quite hard though, it may take you longer to get comfortable with the car due to the harsh ride.

Other minor build issues include panel fit, exterior door handle problems, poor speaker quality, remote locking, misting rear lights, and early i-Shift problems. Again I must stress not all Civic's suffer from these problems.

To enable you to gauge accurately the kind of satisfation levels Civic onwers feel, have a look at these survey results.......

Overall, how would you rate the car?

Awful - 4
0.26%
Poor - 38
2.49%

Satisfactory - 100
6.54%
Good - 615
40.25%
Excellent - 771
50.46%

Total Answers

As you can see, most Civic owners are more than satisfied with their purchase. :D This includes me, and my Civic does have its minor faults that you can read about here.

Do check the survey section to see how the different areas on the Civic are rated by the owners of their cars.

Some more useful links for you.......

User Reviews - Civinfo
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/2009-civic/20456-2009-honda-civic-road-test.html
FAQ - Civinfo Wiki
Brochure - Civinfo Wiki
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/user-reviews/18077-owner-last-gen-civic-thinking-new-civic-read.html
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/user-reviews/17883-disabled-thinking-civic-read.html

Happy reading, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, we're all here to help. Hopefully once you've seen the Civic in its proper perspective, warts and all, you will conclude as many of us have, that is definately the car to purchase! So get down that showroom now and test drive the Civic for yourself, you'll love it:D

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Wheelie that is a really useful post, and very honest too.
I am at the stage where I need to change due to the mileage contract that I purchased mine on.......I keep looking at other makes, yet keep coming back to the 09 civic or the CRV and seriously cannot make my mind up, as nothing makes me smile as much as the styiling of the civic!!

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Civic is a great looking car isn't it?

I've tried to be honest, the forum can be too biased toward problems with the Civic at times, just felt the balance had to be redressed a bit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wheelchair you have forgotten the clutch problem (clicking-slipping) from the faults section.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think most of the owners are have this problem.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
after looking at several cars, i chose the civic due to its practicality. A member of my family is disabled and i ride bikes. The magic seats is what swung it for me. No longer did i need to empty my boot for large bulky objects! Just fold seats up and plonk inside!!! Big glovebox too :D I've only done 1 long distance driving, from Manchester to London and the only that was sore was my butt. No backache etc. Was a really comfy drive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts