2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Ginga Ninga
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies for not posting full pics of the car yet, but due to the crap weather its not had a polish yet!

In the meantime I fitted a westfalia detachable towbar at the weekend.
Well pleased with how it looks.

The left hand socket is on the bracket supplied with the kit so it is the standard place if you have single electrics.
The right hand socket is on a mounting bracket I had to cut down & bend to match the original one. I think it matches.
When the bumper was off, I thought I was going to have to make a large visible cut to make the socket fit. But the socket clears the bumper and the only cut is underneath so the socket supports clear the bottom lip.​

·
The Ginga Ninga
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Towing my 14ft swift caravan with it. Well I will be when I wire the electrics up!

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,684 Posts
now thats got me thinking, could be a solution to installing a bike rack to the car as I can't get one for the glass roof. :worms:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks good, Fitted a witter towbar to mine a while ago to tow my Abi caravan and for my bike rack works fine with both.

·
The Ginga Ninga
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes bumper has to come off. No probs to remove. Have a look in the how 2 section. That's where I found out how to remove mine.
The towbars a westfalia detachable. Bought it from towequipe. Bought it on their eBay shop. Saved some £ on the towbar & free delivery compared to the towequipe website.

Cost me £250 & fitted it myself

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Hi cbs2 your tow bar looks a really professional job ;).
If you don't mind me asking and I know I am being a pain but any chance you can take a pic of what it looks like underneath bracket wise were it is positioned and how it is fixed?

Cheers Pete.

·
The Ginga Ninga
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi cbs2 your tow bar looks a really professional job ;).
If you don't mind me asking and I know I am being a pain but any chance you can take a pic of what it looks like underneath bracket wise were it is positioned and how it is fixed?

Cheers Pete.
To be honest Pete, there's not much to see from underneath. The lower valance on the rear bumper of the Type S hides everything.
The only cut you will need is 2, 1 inch wide strips removed to allow the uprights through for the socket. These are in the lower valance & not visible.
The Type S bumper is great for this as there's no gap between bumper & socket
Hope this helps
Colin

Reactions: CTR-PeteLFS

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
To be honest Pete, there's not much to see from underneath. The lower valance on the rear bumper of the Type S hides everything.
The only cut you will need is 2, 1 inch wide strips removed to allow the uprights through for the socket. These are in the lower valance & not visible.
The Type S bumper is great for this as there's no gap between bumper & socket
Hope this helps
Colin
Hey cheers fella, that helps a lot I guess a picture is not needed lol. I have seen a tow bracket close up underneath but you are correct the bumper does help to hide everything. It's just I am getting ideas for the future as I would want one for either a trailer tent or a trailer which I can just use for more camping equipment etc.. when I take my bike with me camping. :D.

Cheers.
Pete.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi cbs2
Towbar looks good!! ;)

I have been looking at purchasing one of these too. But not too sure about the wiring though. Was installing the actual towbar simple? Also do you know if the single wiring that comes with the tow simple to install and is enough for a trailer as I will be only be using it for a bike mount?

Apologies for the questions but I have searched the forum and there is not much discussion about installing a towbar.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi cbs2,
No need to respond to my post above as i have just got a quote from someone in sheffield to fit a witter detachable towbar (part number HN61AQ) with single universal electrics for £297.70 including VAT.

thanks

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Just had a tow bar fitted today at Indespension in Bolton, £175 all in, not a removable one though.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Just had a tow bar fitted today at Indespension in Bolton, £175 all in, not a removable one though.
can you give me the details as I need one

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
when a towbar is fitted is the rear towing eye removed ???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts