2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
This may be spam
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had a call from Honda inviting them to the new Type R focus group at Chiswick Honda next week?

I just got a call asking me along, I would of loved to attend (Give me a beast!) but it is during my working hours next tuesday.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I would say make it distinctive and well styled. Avoid chavtastic, i.e. avoid the bolt/stuck on look.
Minimise weight and boost power, whilst getting the power to the road in the best way possible.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Tell them that it needs to work of your average bumpy back road.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nice, to hear developments, I think the chances of a special 3dr shell have as much a chance as Honda allowing Cosworth to rework one of their engines :)

I hope it has the traction defined by JDM cars, a LSD as standard and not some heavy top model having a better headlight (AKA HID) system than the performance model.

I can live without the silly Brembo brake prices and branded Recaros but mass production need not dull the spec, Ford Focus ST shows the seats are not silly money.. car starting from £21K.

Now cut the black, non- colour coded bits, don't save equipment for an end of run model clear out and we can all be happy!

Bring it on, a turbo or not and standard 5 year warranty, push the limits not do the minimum :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I'd say dont worry about hids and go straight to led headlights.
No such thing. LED's aren't currently bright enough for main headlight use, hence why bulbs are only sold as sidelights. The next thing is supposed to be laser lights but I can see a whole lot of fun with those - read here the problems with a tight beam when you want a spread (not many people really want a 3mm diameter beam) and also eye safety issues from coherent light. Finally lasers don't come in white, if you want white you need to mix RGB and red and green are very expensive colours.

If I had one comment to make about a type R it would be move away from a high Tax 2.0l model. Sales will be far higher in my opinion if you make it both powerful and green - mugen CRZ is a very good example of what can be achieved with the right approach. Low tax and high MPG combined with high performance, thats the way to higher sales in my opinion as only insurance is an obstacle to ownership instead of all 3.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Just as a note, in terms of laser technology "red" is extremely cheap.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
No such thing. LED's aren't currently bright enough for main headlight use, hence why bulbs are only sold as sidelights. The next thing is supposed to be laser lights but I can see a whole lot of fun with those - read here the problems with a tight beam when you want a spread (not many people really want a 3mm diameter beam) and also eye safety issues from coherent light. Finally lasers don't come in white, if you want white you need to mix RGB and red and green are very expensive colours.

If I had one comment to make about a type R it would be move away from a high Tax 2.0l model. Sales will be far higher in my opinion if you make it both powerful and green - mugen CRZ is a very good example of what can be achieved with the right approach. Low tax and high MPG combined with high performance, thats the way to higher sales in my opinion as only insurance is an obstacle to ownership instead of all 3.
I am certain the brand new 2013 US Accord has LED headlights as an option on high end variants?

·
Registered
161 Posts

I think LEDs are currently used as main headlights on some vehicles and I believe LASER lights don't project a James Bond style beam onto the road, the LASER is actually used to energise a light emitting secondary material. The material reacts to LASER energy but I don't think they are homologated yet for road use.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Has anyone else had a call from Honda inviting them to the new Type R focus group at Chiswick Honda next week?

I just got a call asking me along, I would of loved to attend (Give me a beast!) but it is during my working hours next tuesday.
Take a sick leave!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Really? We have an opportunity to provide some input into the production of the next CTR and we talk about headlights? REALLY?

Anybody want to talk about suspension? The engine? The brakes? Seats? Anybody?
I guess talking about headlights is as productive as complaining about talking about headlights ;):p

In seriousness though you've hit on the one major point I'd want them to consider - the suspension needs significant improvement over the current CTR.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
I guess talking about headlights is as productive as complaining about talking about headlights ;):p

In seriousness though you've hit on the one major point I'd want them to consider - the suspension needs significant improvement over the current CTR.
Fair enough. :)
Agreed...A torsion beam can work, but it needs to be partnered with dampers and springs that are designed for everyday roads.

On another point, hydraulic steering perhaps?

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Agreed...A torsion beam can work, but it needs to be partnered with dampers and springs that are designed for everyday roads.

Exactly. No point having all that power when you can't put it down anywhere other than a track.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts

The suspensions needs to work for every day roads, but this is supposed to be a sports car not luxury.

Less crashy maybe, reduce body roll, minimise weight, better brakes like brembos and maybe a wavetrac type lsd.

I don't see why people say no to brembo's, because everybody complains about the brakes and then puts brembos or a bbk on their cars.

Seriously, honda uk really need to think about who they invite to these things.

We could end up with another luxury cruiser where people moan at stuff.

Sent from my 4.2.1 Jellybean Galaxy Nexus

1 - 20 of 134 Posts