2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some 3.5 years and 53,000 Km (33,000 Miles) it was time for new Summer tyres ...

About 70% of the mileage was on (original) summer shoes, which were still "well legal", but I don't ever let the tread get below 3mm - in fact, the old tyres were all 4 \ 5 mm (legal limit is the usual 1.6 mm), but I'm very conservative about the four little patches of rubber that hold you on the road ...

Chose Continental Sport Contact 3 : 225 x 45 x R17 91Y ...

NoK 7,500 (fitted \ balanced \ etc.) for all four - that's some £210 per corner - and after a good company discount ! ...

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
20k and still 4mm left? im sooooo hard on tyres :( 7k and bald..... :eek:
Depends a lot on the make and rating of the tyre ...

In the past, I had a few identical Company cars (Cavaliers) in a row - front tyres wore out any time between 10,000 and 30,000 miles, according to what was fitted ...

p.s. - you could probably get 10 tyres, for what I just paid for 4 !!! ...

p.p.s. - [Relic] - the tyre fitter was so quick, that by the time I'd had a cup of coffee, the new tyres were on the car ! - so no 'spacer pics', sorry ..

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts

I have these, good choice, grippy but may wear quicker than Miches.

NoK 7,500 (fitted \ balanced \ etc.) for all four - that's some £210 per corner - and after a good company discount !

Sounds like probably a good deal loacally but blimey they are expensive comparatively for us brits.

I walked into a roadside Mac D's near Oslo not long ago, driving on the way from Karlstad (SWE), and the family in front spent £50 on 2 happy meals and 2 adult meals, nice price :facepalm: but its all relative I guess as wages are higher in general.

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have these, good choice, grippy but may wear quicker than Michelins.

NoK 7,500 (fitted \ balanced \ etc.) for all four - that's some £210 per corner - and after a good company discount !

Sounds like probably a good deal locally but blimey they are expensive comparatively for us brits.

I walked into a roadside MacDs near Oslo not long ago, driving on the way from Karlstad (SWE), and the family in front spent £50 on 2 happy meals and 2 adult meals, nice price :facepalm: but it's all relative I guess as wages are higher in general.
Yes, indeed - prices and wages are higher here - but, some things are higher than others ...

Houses are generally good value - electrical goods similar to the UK - alcohol and anything related to cars totally outrageous ! ...

The tyres had a list price of circa £250 fitted - my BP discount got them at some £210 ...

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
yeah they're so tough with Alcohol and cars. Do they still have the power to take your car away from you (or similar) if you break the speed limit in Norway?

The systembolaget in Sweden claim that the reason there is only one place to buy alcohol > 3% is to reduce alcoholics.... maybe statistically thats worked but it doesn't look like it at street level, haha, people just make homebrew or drink antifreeze over the winter for dual purpose :laugh:

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah they're so tough with Alcohol and cars. Do they still have the power to take your car away from you (or similar) if you break the speed limit in Norway?

Speeding can result in horrible penalties : up to 1.5 x a months pre-tax salary - long driving bans - even proper jail time ! ...

Repeated offences - like driving 'under the influence' (20 mg limit !) or driving a uninsured car - can indeed result in the vehicle being confiscated ...

The Systembolaget in Sweden claim that the reason there is only one place to buy alcohol > 3% is to reduce alcoholics ... maybe statistically that's worked but it doesn't look like it at street level, haha, people just make homebrew or drink antifreeze over the winter for dual purpose :laugh:
Norway (Vinmonpolet) makes the same claim - both assertions are utter b*ll*cks (statistically or otherwise) IMHO ...

Here, they increased the tax on spirits a while back, and reported a success due to reduced consumption - but it was actually sales through the Vinmonopolet they were measuring - the amount of moonshine and duty free and straightforward smuggled stuff soared ! - so the total tax take dropped ...

So, the tax level was then reduced (still bloody expensive) and the total tax take increased - that is, the % increase in sales was more than the % reduction in tax level ...

Just look at Denmark - alcohol available virtually everywhere 24\7 and a lot less public drunkeness ...

As for cars - the Politicians here complain that the average vehicle age is the oldest in Europe, and is therefore 'bad' (i.e. 'not green') - at the same time as they tax new cars through the roof - I can see a connection, even if they can't ! ...

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very wise choice mate! However speed rating "Y" is an overkill.
Yes, indeed - they are 91Y (and therefore ZR) rated - but not all ratings are available here - generally, you find the better tyres only in the higher ratings ...

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
just fitted ps3 to mine all round, cannot beleive how good the car is now. softer ride and less noise, and lighter steering. £476 fitted

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
I knew the driving penalties were harsh but god damn, they are heavy!?

"Here, they increased the tax on spirits a while back, and reported a success due to reduced consumption - but it was actually sales through the Vinmonopolet they were measuring - the amount of moonshine and duty free and straightforward smuggled stuff soared ! - so the total tax take dropped ..."

Agreed, people will always find a way round anyway, which is why these booze ferrys are evermore popular in Sweden!

As they say "statistics can be made to prove anything" and governments are the prime abusers of them.

·
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just fitted PS3 to mine all round, cannot believe how good the car is now. Softer ride and less noise, and lighter steering. £476 fitted
The PS3 was on my final shortlist (I've only used Michelin up to now for the last 20 years or so, including PS2 on the Civic from new) ...

It was the reviews in the Scandinavian motoring press that persuaded me to defect to Continental for Summer tyres (already running on Continental Winter rubber) - SC3, as the SC5 is still special order only here ...

There was very little (if anything) between the top 3 or 4 tyres - it really just depends which combination of dry grip \ wet grip \ road noise \ longevity you prefer ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts