2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Its come to that time when i need to replace my front tyres as tread getting a bit low especialy on outside.
I am going on a bit of a driving holiday up to Scotland in a few weeks and thought it wise to get them replaced first :) I have been on Black Circles website to get a few quotes and was thinking of changing like for like, Bridgstone Potenza's (RE050A) come in at around £130 a corner but then i noticed a budget tyre called 'Rockstone' (F105) for only £88 a corner. I had read the reviews about this tyre and seems a very good tyre for a budget tyre with regards to grip both wet and dry, noise and general long lasting wear seems good too.
I have done approx 11K on my current Bridgstones which is not bad in nearly 18 months and if i opt for the budget tyre i be saving around £100, and im sure everyone wants to save a bit of money these days.

Has anyone heard of this tyre or who have fitted them? Any thoughts, advice or recomendations please would be great, Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
My advice is don't buy a budget tyre for a CTR. Buy the best you can afford. At the end of the day it's the only thing that touches the road. Buy a bad tyre and you will ruin everything you love about your R.

I can recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2. Just had them fitted and great grip wet or dry.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers bud.... and the rest of you who have advised.

I have just been out to check the depth of my front tyres as a mate has a tyre depth gauge. And both the fronts have around or just over 4mm across the tyres and about 2mm on the outside of tyres?
Silly question i know but do you think i can wait a bit before replacing? What is the legal limit accross the tyre? I know its something like 1.6mm is the legal limit but is that across the tyre or a percentage of the tyre?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
i got a good deal on some nankangs 19's from camskill.com - i wouldnt use anyone else - next day delivery aswell

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Cheers bud.... and the rest of you who have advised.

I have just been out to check the depth of my front tyres as a mate has a tyre depth gauge. And both the fronts have around or just over 4mm across the tyres and about 2mm on the outside of tyres?
Silly question i know but do you think i can wait a bit before replacing? What is the legal limit accross the tyre? I know its something like 1.6mm is the legal limit but is that across the tyre or a percentage of the tyre?
Accross 3/4 of the middle of the tyre.

So you'll have 1/8 of the width (about 28mm) at the outside edge, then the 3/4's that matter (about 170mm) across the middle, then another 28mm or so on the inside edge.

It's that middle 3/4's that need to be above the minimum (1.6mm you say?). The figures aren't spot on, just trying to help you understand :)

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
My advice is don't buy a budget tyre for a CTR. Buy the best you can afford. At the end of the day it's the only thing that touches the road. Buy a bad tyre and you will ruin everything you love about your R.

I can recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2. Just had them fitted and great grip wet or dry.
Sense.

This guy speaks it. Never skimp on tyres, brakes and suspension. They keep you were you want to be.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Always amazes me how some people try and skimp on the tyres, which have by far the most influence on how the car feels and handles. Tyres provide the only 4 patches of road contact (each no bigger than the size of your hand) that keep you from oblivion everytime you corner or brake.

To OP - don't take this as a criticism matey. Just get the very best tyres you can because it really is worth it!

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
theres a budget brand from continental that is essentially a conti3 rebranded iirc that could be worth a look? cant remember the name buddy sorry but ill have a look
Another make from the Conti stable is Barum. I've used them before and have been pretty impressed. Tyre Shopper have them down as mid range but others see them as budget.

I guess it depends on driving style. Some of the really cheap tyres are pretty poor.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Check out a company called nexen I'm running the n8000's on my 530d MSport and very impressed with them. I actually like them better than the P Zero's my BM was running. They have been on for last 10k miles and are wearing well. Was gonna try them on my R but did not do the size for the 19's but would think if you have 18's the size would be available.
Worth a shot , I decided to my R on conti sp5 these are superb

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Always amazes me how some people try and skimp on the tyres, which have by far the most influence on how the car feels and handles. Tyres provide the only 4 patches of road contact (each no bigger than the size of your hand) that keep you from oblivion everytime you corner or brake.

To OP - don't take this as a criticism matey. Just get the very best tyres you can because it really is worth it!
People obviously don't test drive cars on Gran Turismo then. It's amazing what effect changing the tyres has on the handling. :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
The falken 452s used to be about 100 a corner on 19s and were the tyre of choice for many.

About 80 a corner if you have 18s.
..hmm...had falkens on my old GTR and they were far and away the best tyres ...assume they would be just as good on a type R...especially with how expensive the bridgestones are.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts