2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
OEM Bridgestone for me, I cant see the demands of driving at high speed (on a motorway) being any less than any other speed/road. They are the only 4 points that keeps the car on the road!
If budget over safety is the priority, ignore my thoughts :cool:.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 - got them fitted on Thursday - totally tremendous ...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Ive had vredestein ultra sessantas twice now, but they only seem to last about 9k miles, might try their new ones at £102 a piece

·
Jedi Knight
610 Posts
Syron Race 1's

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Any middle of the road tyre, Bridgestone, Ventus, Eagle F1 or Avon as documented.

Previous owner of my car had P nero Rosso on and they were great, Have used P Nero on previous cars and even those were great too.

Have a shop around and see what you can score, you really need to be pushing the car hard to see the difference in tyres imo

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Uniroyal Rainsport 2's are fantastic for our roads and weather, and well priced.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Uniroyal rainsports supposed to be really good. I need two tyres soon, I'm looking at getting these, seem a good price at "camskill" if you know someone to fit them.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Just fitted michelin sport 3 all round this (summer) and feel ok pretty good in the wet

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Guys

I'm looking for two new tyres,,

Nothing special as all I do is motorway driving,

Can any one recommend,
If all you do is Motorway driving you want:

Good stopping abilities (wet and dry)
Low wear rate
Good fuel economy
Reasonably quiet

Things like steering feedback, cornering ability, turn in are far less important. I think the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric2s would fit the bill nicely.

Also bear in mind that everyone seems to rave about the tyres they've just fitted, but obviously they can't all be 'the best'. I believe this occurs because when you switch from a well worn tyre to a brand new one, it's always going to feel much better regardless. Very few people on the other hand get to compare equally worn versions of different tyres on their car for a true comparison.

People also like to justify their purchases. I will hold my hands up and admit that when I purchased some brand new Bridgestone S001s back in May, I got it wrong. Yes, they felt OK because they were newer than the 050s I was replacing but I was never happy with them. I replaced them with some Yokohama AD08s less than 2000 miles later and was stunned with the improvement. However, my S001 purchase was an expensive mistake :(

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
If all you do is Motorway driving you want:

Good stopping abilities (wet and dry)
Low wear rate
Good fuel economy
Reasonably quiet

Things like steering feedback, cornering ability, turn in are far less important. I think the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric2s would fit the bill nicely.

Also bear in mind that everyone seems to rave about the tyres they've just fitted, but obviously they can't all be 'the best'. I believe this occurs because when you switch from a well worn tyre to a brand new one, it's always going to feel much better regardless. Very few people on the other hand get to compare equally worn versions of different tyres on their car for a true comparison.

People also like to justify their purchases. I will hold my hands up and admit that when I purchased some brand new Bridgestone S001s back in May, I got it wrong. Yes, they felt OK because they were newer than the 050s I was replacing but I was never happy with them. I replaced them with some Yokohama AD08s less than 2000 miles later and was stunned with the improvement. However, my S001 purchase was an expensive mistake :(
Spot on, another recommendation going towards Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2.

The Continental ContiSportContact 5 is also a good choice for motorway driving as they are much more quiet compared to the rest.

Some feedback based on previous use:
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 is a good choice but marred by the noise level and higher price. The wet grip on these are fantastic, however, when treadwear hits the 3mm mark and below, the grip levels seem to deteriorate to a point you actually notice.
Bridgestone Potenza S001 are good tyres but those stiff sidewalls will make journeys uncomfortable. The above tyres are better than the S001 for spirited driving.
Hankook Ventus S1 Evo wore out surprisingly fast and certainly didn't give much confidence in the wet, I've gone through a set of these in heavy rain and would never consider them again.
Pirelli P Zero is one that most people seem to ignore but from my years of driving, they are one of the better consistent all-rounders and are also much easier on the wallet. I can't comment much on the P Zero today as I have yet to try it on my Civic (Note: don't get confused with other variants such as Nero and Rosso, you want to look at P Zero and only P Zero).

My lifecycle on tyres (in sets, size 225/40 R18) for me since I've owned a Civic has been:

• Michelin PS2 (came with car)
  • Hankook Ventus S1 Evo (used these by chance as closest garage had little stock, front PS2 were near 2mm, one nail to the rear of one PS2 that was not repairable so I had all 4 changed)
  • Michelin PS3
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 A2
  • Bridgestone S001
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 A2 (current)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts