2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Tri club mates works for local tyre company and we were talking about winter & summer tyres. We then got onto the subject of the Marshalls that came fitted to my CRV. He asked if they were any good. I said they were fine, but it would do 4 wheel drifts on wet rounderbouts easily! He wasn't surprised as he said they were very budget :mad:

He suggested I change to Continental 4x4 contact a M&S tyres as they had them on offer at £115 all in per corner. That's cheaper than the Marshals!

Well the car now has the Contis on each corner and what a difference! The CRV now is so much more car like :D The steering is much more positive, it doesn't wander at motorway speeds any more. Quieter & the mpg I'd showing 2mpg better.

They are supposed to be good in light snow to and he reckons that I won't need winter tyres as well.

Moral of this story, is i'm never going to use budget tyres again and if car comes fitted with them I will get dealer to swap them. If budget tyres were ok, then car manufacturers would fit them from new, right!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hiya Wizard,

I know what you mean about these tyres I had Continental on my last CRV and can't wait to get rid of these Dunlops but still have 6mm left on them.

Happy CR-Ving

Kev

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya Wizard,

I know what you mean about these tyres I had Continental on my last CRV and can't wait to get rid of these Dunlops but still have 6mm left on them.

Happy CR-Ving

Kev
My Marshals still had 5mm, but decided that my family's lives worth the change.

So as soon as we get bad weather & the snow word Is mentioned they will be on eBay as they are mud & snow tyres ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
nice one I'm glad you are pleased with the better handling, I had a major inprovement when I dumped the original Bridgestones for a set of pirellis. Budget tyres do the car no justice.

should have checked prices tho .......you could get 4 contis delivered for about £320, pirelli scorpion verde all season for £300

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ah sorry Wizard, thought you had an earlier model.......internet lisdexia:facepalm:
No probs, I'm just glad my price was good :) I did check black circles before going with local tyre company.

·
Registered
141 Posts
afraid I'm geting easily confused these days, your post on ball joints mentioned your 2006 crv and failing to pay attention to your signature profile......the brain coasted along in neutral thinking ..... omg I never paid that much for my tyres??!!

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
afraid I'm geting easily confused these days, your post on ball joints mentioned your 2006 crv and failing to pay attention to your signature profile......the brain coasted along in neutral thinking ..... omg I never paid that much for my tyres??!!
Yes, not cheap :(

You can see why people buy budget tyres. I do trim repairs on cars and go round lots of traders and am often surprised by top end cars with tyres made by Sunny (probably only work when it is!) and other unheard of makes.

My 1st experience with budget tires was on a set of brand new alloys that I bought for a mk2 Golf GTI that came with diplomat tyres. Ok in the dry, but on a track day it rained and car was undrivable. An hour later I was back with Pirelli's all round and it was as good in wet as it had been in the dry!

·
Registered
141 Posts
similar situation in my 205gti addiction days, I bought a cheap 1.6 as a winter runabout (much friendlier than my carbed 175 hp 1,9) and not wanting to pay for the chaps 16" Momos i settled for his spare set of standard rims with a nearly new set of Nankangs, must have been all nylon because they would not stick to the road, ended up putting some Yoko's a week later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts