2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
C Black 2.2 i-ctdi Ex
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just passed MOT this weekend however all tyres need changing soon as theyre just over 3mm.

Now my current tyre sizes and brands are 225/45/17 91Y

Front Goodyear Eagle F1s Aysemtric 2 (replaced last year in July)
Back Potenzas (bought with the car)

Now I'm open to suggestions but seen as the car is a motorway guzzler. I'd prefer to be safe.

After a few call rounds and enquiries I've seen the Good Year Eagle F1s Aysemtric 2 but the XL versions at £83.50 per tyre.

Do you guys suggest the XL versions and other suggestions advice would be greatly appreciated before I take the plunge in purchasing this week.

:confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I've found those tyres for about 70. Where are you getting that price from? And out of interest, how many miles have you gotten out of the Goodyear's?

The xl just means extra load. Not necessary with the car you've got or the profile you're running, but I've found the cheapest one to buy is the highest rated anyway, so may as well go for it. I'll dig out a link for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
C Black 2.2 i-ctdi Ex
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi the Eagle F1s, I've got roughly 20k out of them since the MOT papers have suggested.

The none XL GoodYears come to £75 via Kwik Fit online.

Hmmm interesting yeah do send on the link?

What tyres do you run on yours?

·
C Black 2.2 i-ctdi Ex
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After delivery and fitting it makes sense to just go with Kwik Fit online for £75?

Lets see what my local garage buddy can do

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Up to you. I'd not take mine near Kwik fit, even for tyre changes. A garage should only charge £10-£20 to swap them all.

I've got eagle f1 as2, but only had them a few weeks since buying the wheels. I've not checked which exact ones they are, yet, but I'd planned to go for the xl for 18" wheels.

20k miles isn't a whole lot, but they do perform well compared to the cheaper ones I had from buying the car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,186 Posts
I got Michelin sport pilot for £350 for 4. Get about 28-30k out of them. They are what come with mine from new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
If the car is a motorway guzzler, then I would be tempted to go with the new type of tyres that seem to offer lower rolling resistance, but still good grip. These would include the Dunlop Sport BluResponse and Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. They seemed to perform very well in the below test and might help a little with MPG?

Tyre reviews: best tyres 2015 | Auto Express

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If the car is a motorway guzzler, then I would be tempted to go with the new type of tyres that seem to offer lower rolling resistance, but still good grip. These would include the Dunlop Sport BluResponse and Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance. They seemed to perform very well in the below test and might help a little with MPG?

Tyre reviews: best tyres 2015 | Auto Express
Yes but at the Dunlop site if you select "see if this tyre fits your car" the bluresponse is not available for our car!!!

Also i have some questions:
why some tyre brands suggest for our car 225/45/1791V ? My car manual says 225/45/17 91Y...

Now i have Pirelli P ZERO 225/45/17 94Y XL [smilie=thatworks.g:. 3years and 7 months and about 50.000kilometers.For the first two years was outstanding! The handling in dry [U]still[/U] is excellent! I also did a wet braking-test by myself a week ago, still good brakes at wet. It needs a little time to get warm, but i feel it very grippy.
When i purchase them i didn't pay attention to the car manual of 91Y, but i didnt found something wrong about the handling of my car, instead my car with P ZERO's has more cart-behaviour, at steering.(ehm yes ....no comfort at all...)
Do you think that the 94Y is responsible for the good wear i had with them?
Previous tyres was Michelin PS2 225/45/17 (i don't remember the load index and speed index) was better than Pirelli in dry handling in short distances(it was getting warm a lot faster than Pirelli's) but not better than Pirelli's at wet, also had very good wear!
And the worst tyre ever had for wet conditions-Toyo T1R225/45/17(I don't remember LI & SI) good for only 1 year (10.000kilometers), and then awful both dry & wet.
Now i am at searching like you chetty22 of new tyres (but i am thinking of keeping P ZERO's 5 months more ;) )

Any suggestions would be accepted

For now i am thinking of Dunlop sportmaxx rt 225/45/17 91Y But i am conserning a little about their wear as here:Dunlop SportMaxx RT | the Dunlop SportMaxx RT reviewed and rated - TyreReviews doen't seem to do well with wear...

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on speed ratings. The Dunlop is available in 94W XL.

Wear is more likely to be determined by the compound used.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on speed ratings. The Dunlop is available in 94W XL.

Wear is more likely to be determined by the compound used.
you mean not to pay attention the ratings of spirit drivers?
Sometimes i drive spirited too, but i think i have made my decision.
The Sportmaxx rt 225/45/17 91Y will be 99% my next tyre.
It's the lightest of all, C fuel efficiency A wet grip(the most importand for me), and i want a little change!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts