2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my new Rota 16" alloys with Dunlop 3d winter sports 205/55 16. Had these fitted two weeks ago, just got the time to do this thread. Also Washed the car while i could. It was absolutely Filthy, i forgot to take before pictures but believe me it was brown all over. I have had chance to test the tyres out and they are brilliant, a complete difference and of course i was in doubt that they wouldn't make that much difference. Sorry for the poor quality pictures.
IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0373.jpg IMG_0374.jpg IMG_0375.jpg IMG_0376.jpg IMG_0377.jpg IMG_0379.jpg IMG_0380.jpg IMG_0382.jpg IMG_0383.jpg IMG_0384.jpg IMG_0385.jpg IMG_0386.jpg

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i bet they are light as a feather your car is probably faster with them on!
I noticed this when i was moving my other alloys around, these rotas are only 5kg each, think the 18" thunders i had on are about 25kg each - big difference. I was thinking of slapping some summer tyres on when the time comes because of this!

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
I noticed this when i was moving my other alloys around, these rotas are only 5kg each, think the 18" thunders i had on are about 25kg each - big difference. I was thinking of slapping some summer tyres on when the time comes because of this!
Surely you want lower profile tyres in the summer though?

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Aye, i'll be swapping them around when the time comes.
I think you misunderstood my point, these are 16" wheels and your summer wheels are 18" and therefore have lower profile tyres.
17" is standard for summer wheels on the Type S, I think.

With 16" wheels you need a higher profile tyre to have the correct circumference, which is great in winter, but not as great in summer from a handling perspective (although it will be more comfortable).

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
If you CC your mud guards you'll be amazed by the difference it makes!

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Are these Rota Slipstreams? I'm thinking of replacing my steel rims for some alloys and I think these would look great. What offset did you do for ET45 or 48?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Probably a stupid question but is there an issue when going from stock 225 to 205 or even 195 rims when putting on winter tyres? Does the susupension geometry needs a tweak or is it just a swap?
Starting to look for some second hand cheap rims but not quite sure which size make to go for or even what winter tyre, i've never bought winter tyres before :facepalm:

After some searching i think i need 205/45/16 or 195/45/16
offset between 45 and 55
pcd 5*114.3

for tyres i was thinking:

goodyear ultragrip
conti wintercontact
vredestein snowtrac or winterxtreme

2,111 Posts
Probably a stupid question but is there an issue when going from stock 225 to 205 or even 195 rims when putting on winter tyres? Does the susupension geometry needs a tweak or is it just a swap?
Starting to look for some second hand cheap rims but not quite sure which size make to go for or even what winter tyre, i've never bought winter tyres before :facepalm:

After some searching i think i need 205/45/16 or 195/45/16
offset between 45 and 55
pcd 5*114.3

for tyres i was thinking:

goodyear ultragrip
conti wintercontact
vredestein snowtrac or winterxtreme
Hey Woette,

For winter tyres:

Go for 16" alloys: more grip on snow + your tyres last a lot longer (compared to 17 or 18" winter tyres)

the correct tyre size you'll need is 205/55/16 !

Don't spend your money on those (way to expensive) brands! I've got Nokian WR G2 winter tyres, which are not so expensive, but REALLY REALLY GREAT in snow, and other winter circumstances (my car really had a great grip last winter, and you know what type of weather we got ;-) )

Got questions? Feel free to PM me!

Here's also a link to my winter alloys: Dezent RE dark : very good looking + not expensive at all.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Hey Woette,

For winter tyres:

Go for 16" alloys: more grip on snow + your tyres last a lot longer (compared to 17 or 18" winter tyres)

the correct tyre size you'll need is 205/55/16 !

Don't spend your money on those (way to expensive) brands! I've got Nokian WR G2 winter tyres, which are not so expensive, but REALLY REALLY GREAT in snow, and other winter circumstances (my car really had a great grip last winter, and you know what type of weather we got ;-) )

Got questions? Feel free to PM me!

Here's also a link to my winter alloys: Dezent RE dark : very good looking + not expensive at all.
Tyre size is corrected ;)
I actually have the nokian wrg2 on my list but with a line through it :)
They are very common wintertyre i believe but i havent read all good things about them.
2010 AMS Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
The negative points for them are just not what i want to read for a winter tyre.
But they'll probably still be better then my rainsports :)

The vredesteins are in the same price league i believe (also not rated that high in snow conditions). Goodyear/conti's are indeed pricey. Depending on how much i'm gonna spend on the rims will determine the remaining budget on tyres.
Your very fast reply is highly appreciated!!

2,111 Posts
Tyre size is corrected ;)
I actually have the nokian wrg2 on my list but with a line through it :)
They are very common wintertyre i believe but i havent read all good things about them.
2010 AMS Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
The negative points for them are just not what i want to read for a winter tyre.
But they'll probably still be better then my rainsports :)

The vredesteins are in the same price league i believe (also not rated that high in snow conditions). Goodyear/conti's are indeed pricey. Depending on how much i'm gonna spend on the rims will determine the remaining budget on tyres.
Your very fast reply is highly appreciated!!
I've seen tests which do say quite the opposite..:p

And... it's different from car to car... I also drive a Civic and last year when the roads were full of snow, I could still drive above 50 km/h while the rest was going at 20 km/h... And I still had PLENTY of grip! If you want, wait till the snow falls and I'll take you on a test drive ;-) I'll bet you'll be persuaded! ;-)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Compared to a summer tyre they will be a huge improvement, i'm sure.
I think one of my mates has them on his car, i'll see what his opinion is.

The civic is pretty nose heavy so with a decent winter tyre, it'll dig through the snow with no effort.
I always found my uniroyals good enough in the winter but with the last winter being so full of snow :) i decided it was time to spend some cash!

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Not sure what it's like in Belgium but the Nokian's were more expensive than the Continental, much more expensive. So I went with the Conti's which seemed to rank equal top with the Goodyears in most of the tests I have read.

As mentioned you need 205x55 R16. I went for a 45 offset which looks not so bad.

Now I need to get rid of my 16" steel wheels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts