2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone !

I'm a newcomer on this site, and glad to be here reading from all of you.
I don't have yet a Civic but planing to buy one.
For now, I have a Accord, 2.0L, automatic gearbox, 1995, that I hown since 1997, 260.000 km without any troubles ;-)
I hope to do the same with the Civic.

I'll probably buy a 1.8 I-Shift, as in Paris suburbs I can't stand manual transmission anymore.
I'm wondering why they didn't fit a modern automatic gearbox, tiptronic style or whatever, on both 1.8 and 2.2 iCDTI, as other car makers do :-(
My Honda dealer told me it was related to the fact that automatic cars use more fuel, therefor more pollution, than I-Shift type cars, and with the new regulations coming they prefered the I-Shift solution.

Any informations ?

BTW, I live in Paris (France) suburbs.

Cheers,

Cedric

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Hello Cedric !

Welcome to you, I was feeling alone on this forum ;-)

Concerning the I-Shift transmission, I think your dealer told you some cracks (can I suppose that's a Japauto dealer ?). As far as I know, because our car are only sold in Europe they didn't bother to make an automatic gearbox for the car (too small market). And the i-shift is not designed to sustain the torque of the i-ctdi engine (what a shame). Maybe with the next generation ?

Concerning the I-shift have a look at the wiki section and read the various opinion of the member. Some of them like it some others don't. So ask for an extended test drive (not a 15 mn around the corner).

If you like softer rides ask for 16" wheels...

If you buy thiscar you will have one of the most exclusive car in Paris (I've seen more often Porsche and Aston Martin cars than new civic ;-) )

Best regards

Laurent

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Welcome Cedric!

Don´t know about why they fitted the gearbox they did..

Do check out the Wiki while deciding on your new car.
Main Page - Civinfo Wiki

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bienvenue Cedric,
I would thoroughly recommend the i-shift, having had it since early Jan. It is ideal for city/town driving and also has the facility of the paddle or lever for manual changes. My wife has taken to it in a big way - using the auto all the time.
We are looking forward to testing the car on the excellent French roads during the summer. Heading for Frejus in April and staying until Oct! Civics are very rare there.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Bienvenue Cedric,
I would thoroughly recommend the i-shift, having had it since early Jan. It is ideal for city/town driving and also has the facility of the paddle or lever for manual changes. My wife has taken to it in a big way - using the auto all the time.
We are looking forward to testing the car on the excellent French roads during the summer. Heading for Frejus in April and staying until Oct! Civics are very rare there.
That's for sure, the Civic is a very exclusive car in France. The total figures of cars Honda sold in 2007 in France is 15631 cars (Jazz, Civic, Civic Hybrid, CRV, FRV, Accord) wich is the best figure ever made by honda (the former record was 15478 in 1992) and they plan to have 28000 cars sold in 2010 with 135 dealers (88 dealers for the whole France at the moment). So as you see we are well under the figures you are use in the North of Europe/Uk/Ireland.

You've made a good choice for your staying in France. Fréjus and the area is really lovely. I was used to go there with my parents during the summer. If you like Jazz there is a famous festival in Juan-les-Pins.

Oh, and if you need a good Honda dealer in France, the one in Aix en Provence (It's a little bit far from Fréjus) was very helpfull this winter.

Laurent

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From April to October in Frejus !
How lucky you are !

PS : I'm gonna have a look to the WIKI section.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Everyone !

I'm a newcomer on this site, and glad to be here reading from all of you.
I don't have yet a Civic but planing to buy one.
For now, I have a Accord, 2.0L, automatic gearbox, 1995, that I hown since 1997, 260.000 km without any troubles ;-)
I hope to do the same with the Civic.

I'll probably buy a 1.8 I-Shift, as in Paris suburbs I can't stand manual transmission anymore.
I'm wondering why they didn't fit a modern automatic gearbox, tiptronic style or whatever, on both 1.8 and 2.2 iCDTI, as other car makers do :-(
My Honda dealer told me it was related to the fact that automatic cars use more fuel, therefor more pollution, than I-Shift type cars, and with the new regulations coming they prefered the I-Shift solution.

Any informations ?

BTW, I live in Paris (France) suburbs.

Cheers,

Cedric
Hi there sony cedric !!!
I'm from Malakoff (92) and guess what !!? I'm also waiting for my New 2,2 i-CTDI Sport model Civic which should be ready for this wenesday ! Try and get the 2007 or 2008 models, they have updated the models and should be more reliable. See you around about Paris !!?
Cheers
Philippe

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bienvenue Cedric,
Hi Rogerm,
I personally wont go in for an i-shift although it's real comfortable because the diesel engines got soo much of torque, the gear box are having a hard time to coop up with.
Also french highways are one of the smoothest but now with all the speed control systems, be real carefull and get your GPS updated for radar spots !!

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome Philippe,

By the way, regarding the preceeding post, is there a thread about the possibility to put radars' place in the NAVSAT system easely ?
I'm balancing between the comfort of an integrated nav sat system (like provided by Honda/Alpine) and the ease of use of something like tom-tom which has regular updates about radars ...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome Philippe,

By the way, regarding the preceeding post, is there a thread about the possibility to put radars' place in the NAVSAT system easely ?
I'm balancing between the comfort of an integrated nav sat system (like provided by Honda/Alpine) and the ease of use of something like tom-tom which has regular updates about radars ...
Hi there,
I can give you a solid advise about GPS !! I recommend you to leave aside that s**t integrated GPS that Honda sells, i'v tried it and it is in no way to be compared with the tom-tom ones, or a Mio, that's what i have, a Mio C710 full europe. The original one in the Civic is not 3D, not very easy to read like mine and very expensive to update that s**t !!! If you have a blue tooth on your tom-tom, you should be able to connect it trough you loud speakers like a telephone cell. What do you think about that !!!??? I ordered one without the GPS and installing my one and hiding the electrical cable inside gear stick covering.

Cheers !! Philippe

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
Welcome Philippe,

No you cannot upload your own POIs into the integrated satnav.
In Car Entertainment - Civinfo Wiki

You will need a seperate speed camera warning unit for that.
Installing a snooper or speed camera warning solution - Civinfo Wiki

I feel that the satnav (the screen of which also gives control over audio, climate control etc) really makes the Civic complete. I do not regret my built in satnav.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah ! I got it !

Hi Guys,

I picked my Civic yesterday evening !
It's a 5D, Albaster 1.8 Ishift, I've put in it a leather which is somewhere between Bordeaux and red, very nice.
So glad to have this car after months ...
I'll put some pictures on the Gallery as soon as weather will allow me to take them ... Dull weather in Paris today :-(

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Welcome to the madness

·
Administrator
19,184 Posts
Excellent News Cedric :D and of course congrats on the new car :D

Looking forward to the photo's as the interior leather sounds interesting :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts