2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

apologies for a thread that has no doubt been answered somewhere here, but there is a lot of info that I have been trying to absorb with regards to cleaning my motor and would like some advice.

I understand that everyone will have a different opinion etc.. but what I would like is a list of products and the order they should be used in.

Typically, my wash routine would be:

1) rinse the entire car with water
2) spray some alloy cleaner to get rid of the grime, wash alloys with bog standard shampoo from halfords
3) wash the rest of car with same bog standard shampoo
4) perhaps wax

I'm picking up a Type S in nighthawk metallic black tomorrow and would like to start off on the right foot. Some of those deep reflective shines people are getting look awesome and I'd like to achieve the same results or whatever is best for the nighthawk metallic black colour.

As I said, there is a lot on info and I don't quite know where to start apart that I should be using two buckets ;)

Perhaps if people who have the time to post, could say what they recommend in terms of products (including things like cloths and stuff I should be using).

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance!!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was in the same boat as you not long ago but the thread mentioned by Syx is a good starting point.

I rinsed>washed>rinsed>clayed>rinsed>polished>waxed mine last weekend, which took about 4 hours but that's the hard work done and it's just a case of maintaining it until it needs doing again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Still confused as to what I should be buying. Even reading that thread doesn't really help.

I need spoon feeding here just to get started :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
Thanks guys.

Still confused as to what I should be buying. Even reading that thread doesn't really help.

I need spoon feeding here just to get started :confused:
Unfortunately you are going to get loads of answers, as most people prefer certain products. But this should help. Also how deep are your pockets :)

2 buckets
Wash Mitt (noodle mitts ASDA ideal)
Shampoo (Autoglym Body Conditioner)
Clay (Bilt Hamber regular)
Polish (Gtechniq P1)
Sealant or Wax (Finish Kare FK1000P or Autoglymn HD Wax)
Tyre dressing (Meguiars Endurance)
Microfibre cloths
Drying towel (Chemical Guys Wolly Mannoth)
APC (supermarket branded, cheap as chips)
Wheel Sealant (loads of different, but if you buy FK1000P you can use that)
Glass Cleaner (Autoglym Fast Glass)

There are loads of other things, such as pressure washer, snow foam lance & snow foam, glass sealants etc etc but I consider the above to be good enough for starters ;)

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
when i first started i got myself the Autoglymn range from halfords, ok stuff if your if just starting off. They also do a good range of Meguiars stuff, the stuff is normally cheaper online but depending how much you want to spend wait till they have a 3-2 deal and for £25 your have a good starting kit

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent thanks Guys.

shaunwistow: is there a pre-wash in that list? Also, what kind of results should I be expecting? Also, is there something for the edge of the tyres to make em look wet? (ah, presumably the tyre dressing; in which case is there a spray that dissolves all the crap off the alloys before I scrub em?)

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
Excellent thanks Guys.

shaunwistow: is there a pre-wash in that list? Also, what kind of results should I be expecting? Also, is there something for the edge of the tyres to make em look wet? (ah, presumably the tyre dressing; in which case is there a spray that dissolves all the crap off the alloys before I scrub em?)
Yes, I use Autobrite Very Cherry non acidic wheel cleaner, best I have ever used.

Pre wash? as in snow foam. If you have a pressure washer I would recommend a snow foam & lance.

If the car is very salty I use Auto Finesse Citrus Wash, brilliant stuff, but not great value for money.

Megs Endurance tyre gel, great stuff.

·
Premium Member
15,527 Posts
Excellent thanks Guys.

For best results on your tyres mate, you need to use something like autoglyms engine degreaser and a stiff brush, scrub well then rinse, then use an all purpose cleaner and do the same as before, rinse of and dry. Before applying your tyre dressing make sure the tyre wall is dry. This procedure will give you better looking results and will last longer:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ace thanks.

I don't have a pressure washer so I'll go for the auto finesse (can't imagine it lasts long though from the look of the bottle)

Picking up the cts from the Honda dealer tomorrow morning. Is cleaning it something I need to do straight away?

·
Premium Member
12,688 Posts
Ace thanks.

I don't have a pressure washer so I'll go for the auto finesse (can't imagine it lasts long though from the look of the bottle)

Picking up the cts from the Honda dealer tomorrow morning. Is cleaning it something I need to do straight away?
Reckon you will get 5 lots of applications from a 1 litre bottle

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Ace thanks.

Asked similar advice (these guys must be getting well pissed-off with us newbies asking the same questions over & over & ov…lol!) , but didn't consider a pre-wash. Likewise, have no pressure washer, so will have to add some Auto Finesse to my list also!!
Sorry for the high-jack!! ;)

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Asked similar advice (these guys must be getting well pissed-off with us newbies asking the same questions over & over & ov…lol!) , but didn't consider a pre-wash. Likewise, have no pressure washer, so will have to add some Auto Finesse to my list also!!
Sorry for the high-jack!! ;)
No way..We love giving advice..Keep the questions coming!

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.