2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So mates I guess I need you knowhow here.
car is turning 3yo and has never been polished / clayed / whatevered.
I have done some researches and I seem to have fully understood the general theories behind all this detailing mess, but there are some... issues.
for starters, I reckon a lot of €€€ would be involved in purchasing the full package, I estimate a rough €200-250 (without the machine polish!), just for cleaning products. Then since the car has never been treated, I sure couldn't do without a machine polish-and that's another €200-250!
Then there's the time factor, an 8h/week car cleaning routine is just something I cannot afford.

I was thinking that maybe my best option is having the car done by a professional (reckon around €150-200) and then setting up a decent maintaining routine, like, wash + clay + wax at certain intervals.

what do you people think? does this option even make sense?

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
Yeah if you haven't got the time to get the cars bodywork to full health get it done professionally mate much easier and it gives you a chance then to just maintain it when you have the time.

Cleaning products are pretty cheap depending what brand you go for its taking me about 2 months to build up my stock of cleaning stuff lol

·
Administrator
15,518 Posts
I think you will pay more if you want full paint correction, more like 400 euros. its much more enjoyable machine polishing yourself with all the corrects products etc and seeing the finished results but thats only if you have the time.:D

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
If you have a proper detailing shop near you, many rent a basic DA polisher. You could do this and then adopt a good maintenance procedure. Just build on it as money allows. Most products aren't too badly priced. Just look for good deals or value for money

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
I would have it detailed and then invest in a decent wash and wax routine every week
You will soon build up a stock of products

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone for the input up til now, I guess I'll have her detailed thoroughly and then I'll try to have a decent cleaning routine. Speaking of which, any hints you can give? keeping in mind that I use the car mostly on weekends only (save the coldest months) I think that a proper washing + claying twice a month should do more than enough. I'm unsure about the waxing process though, how ofter should I do that? polishedbliss also suggest one coat of poly wax topped with a coat of carnauba wax, do you think it's necessary it as well or just one coat will do? (car is nhb)

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
A Wax layer can remain on a car for many weeks/months at a time. So only needs to be routinely done to be honest. You can tell from the water beading once applied.

Dodo Juice purple haze is a good wax for dark coloured cars, its coloured charged so can help the appearance of swirls.
The new dodo juice supernatural hybrid wax also has good reviews, it is half sealant/half wax. Both around the 30 quid mark.

I can recommend the bilt hamber auto clay, only requires water as a lubricant so you dont have any additional expense buying the lube. Can be purchased for around a tenner.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I think you will pay more if you want full paint correction, more like 400 euros. its much more enjoyable machine polishing yourself with all the corrects products etc and seeing the finished results but thats only if you have the time.:D
Not necessarily. For full paint correction typically you are looking for 200-250 Euros in Greece. I suspect it would be the same in Italy.

@drillerkiler.
There is a special offer in the greek sub forum at the moment for 160 Euros if you fancy crossing the borders :p:p:p

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol hey thanks, i'm booking a €1000 seasick-inducing boat trip to greece NOW for that €100 discount, incredible bargain! :D

btw, again thanks to everyone for their inputs, I am putting down a shopping list by researching, reading, comparing, forgetting to lunch and getting late at work, and I have come up with this:

tools
megs lambwool wash mitt
megs microfiber wash mitt
megs supreme shine microfiber towel (3x)
megs even coat applicator (x2)
wax
dodo supernatural hybrid (100ml --> is it going to be enough?)
wash
megs d110 (500ml)
clay
dodo supernatural clay&lube kit (I understand that applying a clay kit without lube like the BH requires some more expertise and I'm a total virgin)
glass
dodo menthol (500ml)

estimated expense around the €170 mark. what do you guys think? is this enough / too much / too few for starting? (gosh I hope it's too much :rolleyes:)

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
lol hey thanks, i'm booking a €1000 seasick-inducing boat trip to greece NOW for that €100 discount, incredible bargain! :D

btw, again thanks to everyone for their inputs, I am putting down a shopping list by researching, reading, comparing, forgetting to lunch and getting late at work, and I have come up with this:

tools
megs lambwool wash mitt
megs microfiber wash mitt
megs supreme shine microfiber towel (3x)
megs even coat applicator (x2)
wax
dodo supernatural hybrid (100ml --> is it going to be enough?)
wash
megs d110 (500ml)
clay
dodo supernatural clay&lube kit (I understand that applying a clay kit without lube like the BH requires some more expertise and I'm a total virgin)
glass
dodo menthol (500ml)

estimated expense around the €170 mark. what do you guys think? is this enough / too much / too few for starting? (gosh I hope it's too much :rolleyes:)
It should last 2 to 3 years!!

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
100 Ml of Supernaturals hybrid it's not enough for 25 cars just for 20 :p
when you using wax and most of detailing products have to remember '' less is more ;) "
Your order seems to be ok for now. I started with 30 euro order but next where more than 200 each and now i ve spent almost 1000 euros so you have to think the trip to greece again i m sure it ll cost you less :p
If you dont want to have hundreds of products that you ll never use more than once ( for example i ve got 5 waxes , 6 quick detailers etc ) and use them to friends car to see how they work i suggest you something simple. My wife is ready to kill me if i ll buy another bottle :p
See cleaning thread find a NBH you like and see what products they used.
For example i used
Kestrel DA polisher with Chemical Guys and 3M pads
Menzerna 106 and 203 for polishing
Then 2 layers of Chemical Guys Black Light
Chemical Guys v7 sealant
2 Layers of Race Glaze series 55 WAX
Race glaze clearmist detailer
Race glaze color enhance for trims and rubber
Bilt hamber soft clay
Iron X
and the result is
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/greece/20167-greek-members-photos-civic-107.html#post889140
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/greece/20167-greek-members-photos-civic-110.html#post892171
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/greece/56635-auto-detailing-4.html

Before try something like this remember
Its expensive
It takes many many hours
But you forget all of them when you are looking at it.

Hope i helped you and not confused you
There are also many great projects for NHB like Mickspy's project using mostly meguiars products

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/greece/12725-styling-improvements-487.html#post714775

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
100 Ml of Supernaturals hybrid it's not enough for 25 cars just for 20 :p
when you using wax and most of detailing products have to remember '' less is more ;) "
Your order seems to be ok for now. I started with 30 euro order but next where more than 200 each and now i ve spent almost 1000 euros so you have to think the trip to greece again i m sure it ll cost you less :p
If you dont want to have hundreds of products that you ll never use more than once ( for example i ve got 5 waxes , 6 quick detailers etc ) and use them to friends car to see how they work i suggest you something simple. My wife is ready to kill me if i ll buy another bottle :p
See cleaning thread find a NBH you like and see what products they used.
For example i used
Kestrel DA polisher with Chemical Guys and 3M pads
Menzerna 106 and 203 for polishing
Then 2 layers of Chemical Guys Black Light
Chemical Guys v7 sealant
2 Layers of Race Glaze series 55 WAX
Race glaze clearmist detailer
Race glaze color enhance for trims and rubber
Bilt hamber soft clay
Iron X
and the result is
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/greece/20167-greek-members-photos-civic-107.html#post889140
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/greece/20167-greek-members-photos-civic-110.html#post892171
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/greece/56635-auto-detailing-4.html

Before try something like this remember
Its expensive
It takes many many hours
But you forget all of them when you are looking at it.

Hope i helped you and not confused you
There are also many great projects for NHB like Mickspy's project using mostly meguiars products

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/greece/12725-styling-improvements-487.html#post714775
Ive waxed 4 cars with my new tub of Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid and barely made a dint in it..so 25 cars is very easily achievable.
As one says, "Less is more!!"

·
FESTOOLIGAN
4,166 Posts
Ive waxed 4 cars with my new tub of Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid and barely made a dint in it..so 25 cars is very easily achievable.
As one says, "Less is more!!"
Agree with that.
If you can see my car i double layered it with a 15 ml sample pot of race glaze signature 55 and there is enough product to do it again.
BTW love Supernatural Hybrid.

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
Agree with that.
If you can see my car i double layered it with a 15 ml sample pot of race glaze signature 55 and there is enough product to do it again.
BTW love Supernatural Hybrid.
Its good but I personally prefer Bilt Hamber Finis and Hydra Wax.
TBH..I'm using a combo of both at the moment

1 - 14 of 14 Posts