2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I hope Honda stick with the unconventional styling for the next generation, that's what makes the Civic really cool. It is interesting how the design has evolved over the years though.

Also noticed this on the BBC today, great news for Swindon:
Honda invests £200m in Swindon car production plant - BBC News

Wonder if this is in preparation for the 10G? I would have guessed that the 9G still has at least 2.5yrs of full scale production left (assuming we start to see the very early 10Gs towards the end of 2017). All guessing though!

On this subject VW have stated that they will be moving to 5 year production runs, I wonder if Honda will follow suite? I don't really know enough to comment either way on what would be better.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the article...
'Honda has announced that its factory in Swindon will build all five-door Civic hatchbacks when the next-generation model is introduced in 2017. About 50 per cent of production is expected to go to Europe, and the other 50 per cent to the rest of the world...'

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:p

Actually, it is a slightly odd statement, as it'll only apparently be the 5-door models that'll be made in Swindon.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Yes, that is strange, maybe there are no plans to re-introduce a 3 door version? I think that may be unwise though as many like 3 door cars.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
I hope Honda stick with the unconventional styling for the next generation, that's what makes the Civic really cool. It is interesting how the design has evolved over the years though.

Also noticed this on the BBC today, great news for Swindon:
Honda invests £200m in Swindon car production plant - BBC News

Wonder if this is in preparation for the 10G? I would have guessed that the 9G still has at least 2.5yrs of full scale production left (assuming we start to see the very early 10Gs towards the end of 2017). All guessing though!
Could be because they are starting to export to the US.

They have a production line not being used. so the 200m could be for running costs and labor.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I think that may be unwise though as many like 3 door cars.
My civic is the first 5 door car I've owned, everything before it was 3 door (even my "big" 4x4, a frontera sport) and I tell you I'm never going back to 3 door. No longer having to flip the seat and set it back again whenever someone needs to get in the back is a huge timesaver.

As for the 9G hatch's "bold" looks, I think the front end looks great, okay the back end took a little getting used to, but it isn't horrendously ugly. Overall, the car stands out, it's not trying to blend in with everything else which, imho, are trying to look like Audis or beemers.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
A great thing about the 9G is that it has the streamlined styling of a 3 door while having the practicality of being a 5 door (it almost looks like a 3 door thanks to the concealed rear door handles). And as far as 5 doors go, the Civic is fantastic with the doors that open to nearly 90 degrees and the magic seats! Practicality and style together. The bold looks are fantastic and I also love the fact it really stands out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My favourite is the 7G, but do you know what, I don't recall seeing one on the road in the last five years at least.

Was it the 3G that was built in the then new Swindon factory and also sold as a Triumph?
Rustproofing had not yet been implemented much iirc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts