2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hot Honda Civic and Type R due - What Car?

if its true its good news for us 1.8 oweners but not good news if your a big type r fan as i guess it wont be anywhere near the power of the focus RS/ST or VXR that are going to out

·
Type R GT Milano GP Kit
2,262 Posts
I thought they where going to whack a Turbo on it which you could easily remap for extra power. So I wonder 1.8Turbo the TT is and has 225bhp.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
The new type r will have either a tsi or just turbo but no VTEC due to eu rules that's why there has always been a debate on wether to continue with the type r as its always been NA.

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
The title is a bit misleading. There's no mention of the 9CTR engine specs, just a tuned 1.8 'hot' version.

Cheers for the link, though ;)

Reactions: Stevo!

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
I get that the TypeR's have in the past stayed N/A, and people will be upset to see that change

But if they don't roll with the times then the TypeR will no longer be able to rival other manufacturers offerings.
Already the FocusRS (last model) was IMO a better car generally (albeit i was upset they didnt go 4WD..)

It's a shame to see the change, but it also unlocks alot more potential if they charge it ;) (with less work)

I dont think you'll be disapointed; if they get it right !

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
I take it the OP can't read then.
Or, maybe you cant? :rolleyes:

Read the last line of the link ...

Edit: I'm THIS kind to you:
"The new model could follow the pattern set by previous cars, with a high-revving 2.0-litre petrol engine, but emissions regulations may dictate a shift to a turbocharged, smaller capacity engine."

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Hot Honda Civic and Type R due - What Car?

if its true its good news for us 1.8 oweners but not good news if your a big type r fan as i guess it wont be anywhere near the power of the focus RS/ST or VXR that are going to out
Yeah it may gives some clues as to how cheap power can be extracted from the 1.8 assuming of course they don't make major component changes.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
scotty i think dans referring to the fact that the article is really referring to the type s replacement with only a fleeting mention to the new type r?
I felt that's the case matey :p
I was defending the innocent OP is all haha

The article mentions the TR's possible replacement and EXTREMERLY vaguely gives their reasoning as to why

I can't believe Honda are making us wait until next year!!! :popcorn2:

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Yeah it may gives some clues as to how cheap power can be extracted from the 1.8 assuming of course they don't make major component changes.

Look at the 1.0-130bhp & 1.6-180bhp focus' ! haha

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
I'm pretty gutted to hear the new CTR will be 5 door only!
I don't want or need 5 doors in my life. :(

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Title is very misleading lol.

I'm pretty gutted to hear the new CTR will be 5 door only!
I don't want or need 5 doors in my life. :(
I'd prefer a 5 door Type R. Doors are too big and the seat belts are too far back on the 8th gen.

Sent from my Sony Xperia S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
108 Posts
The new type r will have either a tsi or just turbo but no VTEC due to eu rules that's why there has always been a debate on wether to continue with the type r as its always been NA.
Personally, I don't see why Honda couldn't offer a revised 2.0ltr NA engine for the new Type R. Toyota/Subaru offer a high-reving 2ltr NA unit for their GT86 and its CO2 emissions have come in c. 160g/km...

In respect of bhp:
I'd be disappointed if the next Type R has anything shy of 220bhp - demanding for a 2.0ltr NA engine, perhaps? Also have cost considerations in engine development, particularly when they are likely to sell the car in the £20-25K price bracket...

Not clear cut in my head what they are going to do. Local dealers suggest a Type R is "likely" in the next 18 months...wait and see I guess. It's exciting to speculate though :VTECSMILEY:

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Or, maybe you cant? :rolleyes:

Read the last line of the link ...

Edit: I'm THIS kind to you:
"The new model could follow the pattern set by previous cars, with a high-revving 2.0-litre petrol engine, but emissions regulations may dictate a shift to a turbocharged, smaller capacity engine."

We had a very competent 2ltr engine in the K20 but quite obviously (or else Honda wouldnt have canned it) the emmissions couldnt be legalised.

Therefore, we are left with what we have or a new engine.

Purely guessing here but i'd say that for one special edition of the Civic, it would be massively, prohibitively expensive to develop a new engine for a few hundred cars, so i'd expect the 1.8 to be dropped in, re-geared and maybe tweaked for more BHP/PS.

With the Type R you have a different story. A halo model that needs something special. Whilst the cost implications of a replacement for the K20 are still very present, it would still be an option, however, Honda have made no secret about their future direction in combining Sports and Green all in one (NSX etc). Add to that the fact that Mugen are working alongside Honda to create a Civic WTCC and CTCC car for later this year based on a 1.6 engine and i'd guess you'd be nearer to the New Type R.

Or, as the OP suggests, we'll have a 160bhp Type R with the same old 1.8 Vtec in it :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I thought there was talk of them trying to go direct injection with the K20 which would have pulled it inline with emmission regulations

·
Type R GT Milano GP Kit
2,262 Posts
I'd don't mind it not being on sale for another year as It'll give me time to free some cash up, I'd definitely consider getting one though. ;-)

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
OMG!!!

Never heard of that.

Review here:

Ford Focus 1.6 EcoBoost review | New Car Reviews | Auto Express

Now that really puts Honda to shame.

1.6l - 180 BHP

Torque - 240nm!

47.1mpg

139g/km

138mph

0-60 - 7.9 secs

..and its not even a performance model, its the ECO model!!!
I know mate, im currently working for them ;)
It's called the EcoBoost range, but they make impressive figures along with the emissions reductons, and have ALOT of potential from factory for future tune ups

That's my point though, other manufacturers are running more and more charged cars
IMO, it wouldn't make sense for Honda to stay N/A and let competitors get away, in terms of figures

When you have the likes of Ford running middle range cars (the 180PS is in the ZetecS & Titanium/X models of the focus currently, but will be expanded shortly into the lower specs also) then Honda will have to pull something extraodinary out of the hat to compete

I really hope they do, but if it's not making Circa 250hp; IMO it can't contend with the likes of the ST, not even the 'range topper' and still threathens the unknown CTR to come

1 - 20 of 38 Posts