2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

I wanted to change my headunit but after a research I can't find nothing that makes me satisfied. I didn't like the cheap headunits and I can't afford the cost of the expensive HU so after a research I decide to go with a tablet installation.

Things that I want
music
gps
backup camera

I used the Nexus 7 2013 which is the best 7inch tablet on the market.

This is my install

About the tablet's setup I 'm using Timur's Kernel. It is a project specific for that kind of builds. More information you can find here https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/faq/

I'm using this tablet mount Amazon.com: Black - Monti Tablet Car Dash Mount for iPad 1,2,3,4 Air, Galaxy, Nexus, Playbook: Computers & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41lbtbUjhsL for a cleaner look.

With a small research you can find a lot of similar installations. There is no limits about this project. I made this post to give you an idea about our car and I will be happy to answer to your questions.

(for example this guy went a step further

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
Looks good but the interface appears to be a bit too fiddly for driving.

Perhaps when you're on the move then a better app could be running for core functions.

A versatile solution tho.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks good but the interface appears to be a bit too fiddly for driving.

Perhaps when you're on the move then a better app could be running for core functions.

A versatile solution tho.
There are many apps with car friendly interface like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/...tra&pcampaignid=APPU_1_Yz1QVrOpM8SPsAHg86eYAw.
You can also set up gestures and open apps without looking the screen.

Στάλθηκε από το GT-I9505 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ouzo_Power... How did you go about installing this and what have you used to do it? Like how did you manage to connect the Nexus 7 to the steeo system? I presume your sound still plays through the factory fit stereo?!

I'm looking at changing the factory fitted stereo in my Mk8. Was interested watching your video above to see what you've done.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I tried this system, and I couldn't keep the Nexus charged enough from a 2.1amp charger...

It discharged while using GPS and screen on plugged in, slowly, but if the tablet isn't being charged while it's in standby/off, then it'll slowly lose it's power.

How did you get around this? Does yours charge while under stress?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ouzo_Power... How did you go about installing this and what have you used to do it? Like how did you manage to connect the Nexus 7 to the steeo system? I presume your sound still plays through the factory fit stereo?!

I'm looking at changing the factory fitted stereo in my Mk8. Was interested watching your video above to see what you've done.

yes the sound still plays through the factory unit. I'm using a bluetooth aux adapter in the aux port. You can use something like this bluetooth aux | eBay

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried this system, and I couldn't keep the Nexus charged enough from a 2.1amp charger...

It discharged while using GPS and screen on plugged in, slowly, but if the tablet isn't being charged while it's in standby/off, then it'll slowly lose it's power.

How did you get around this? Does yours charge while under stress?

I'm using a specific kernel for this job. You can find it if you search about Timur's kernel. It is designed to have the minimum consumption of battery in standby mode (2% in 18-24 hours) and also has a fast charge option that provides 1200 mah with a good combination of power cables.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I'm using a specific kernel for this job. You can find it if you search about Timur's kernel. It is designed to have the minimum consumption of battery in standby mode (2% in 18-24 hours) and also has a fast charge option that provides 1200 mah with a good combination of power cables.
Hmmm, I'll give it a go. Thanks :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Impressive setup, mate. I really like how it seems integrated into your Civic, almost as a stock Android Auto headunit. Gotta few questions, if you don't mind:
- Can you raise the Nexus slightly, so you can reach the buttons underneath?
- Is it all Timur's kernel, or you're using dedicated apps for eg. car parameters dash, music player, navi etc...?
- You said you're using Aux In bluetooth adapter... does it activate when you turn on the tablet and ignition, or is it always on? From what I understand, BT is quite the battery guzzler.
- When the car is turned off, is the Nexus completely turned off too eg. cold shutdown, or is on standby/hibernation/etc.?
- Oh and good taste in music! Love the S.O.A.D./Serj :rockerblue:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Impressive setup, mate. I really like how it seems integrated into your Civic, almost as a stock Android Auto headunit. Gotta few questions, if you don't mind:
- Can you raise the Nexus slightly, so you can reach the buttons underneath?
- Is it all Timur's kernel, or you're using dedicated apps for eg. car parameters dash, music player, navi etc...?
- You said you're using Aux In bluetooth adapter... does it activate when you turn on the tablet and ignition, or is it always on? From what I understand, BT is quite the battery guzzler.
- When the car is turned off, is the Nexus completely turned off too eg. cold shutdown, or is on standby/hibernation/etc.?
- Oh and good taste in music! Love the S.O.A.D./Serj :rockerblue:
Hi ,
you can put nexus wherever you want. I chose this height that not blocking all of my air vents and I still can use the 2 big buttons
Timur's kernel manage the power of the tablet not the user interface. You can do whatever you want.Thewre are many car apps or widget to customize your homescreen
the bluetooth adapter is powered with the ignition.
when the car is powered off the tablet goes in a suspend mode...Lets say like a stand by mode..It automatically turns on airplane mode and has a 2% consumption in 24 hours... So lets say that when you have a fully charged tablet and turn off the car the tablet can remain in stand by for 50 days...

I hope was helpful and I 'm glad to answer any other questions...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi ,
you can put nexus wherever you want. I chose this height that not blocking all of my air vents and I still can use the 2 big buttons
Timur's kernel manage the power of the tablet not the user interface. You can do whatever you want.Thewre are many car apps or widget to customize your homescreen
the bluetooth adapter is powered with the ignition.
when the car is powered off the tablet goes in a suspend mode...Lets say like a stand by mode..It automatically turns on airplane mode and has a 2% consumption in 24 hours... So lets say that when you have a fully charged tablet and turn off the car the tablet can remain in stand by for 50 days...

I hope was helpful and I 'm glad to answer any other questions...
Thanks, you did.
Before buying the Nexus, did you maybe research other tablets, their pro & cons, kernels, firmwares, app support etc? Coz I find myself in similar situation... would like a tablet as an infotainment/navi center, however a bit newer model than Nexus 7. Is this kernel exclusive for it, or are there other similar things or apps that could do what you said, save the power so it doesn't get discharged?
And did you connect it to the lighter plug behind the gear shift?
Also, what is that music player app? Looks fab mate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, you did.
Before buying the Nexus, did you maybe research other tablets, their pro & cons, kernels, firmwares, app support etc? Coz I find myself in similar situation... would like a tablet as an infotainment/navi center, however a bit newer model than Nexus 7. Is this kernel exclusive for it, or are there other similar things or apps that could do what you said, save the power so it doesn't get discharged?
And did you connect it to the lighter plug behind the gear shift?
Also, what is that music player app? Looks fab mate.

This project starts with the first generation of Nexus 7. Most of the users totaly replace their factory radio so a 7 inch tablet was a good solution because it fits in a 2 din frame of the most factory units.
The tablet that you choose it depends from what you want to have. The kernel is exclusive for nexus 7 2nd generation. It provide you, except the power management, the ability to have external hard disk, that means that your data is not only the 16 or 32 gb of internal memory of nexus. It also have the ability of a backup camera.
Firts of all you have to decide what you want to do and then to find the best solution. Generally you can have the most of the functions with every tablet on the market. There is an app called Tasker that can help you automate the behavior of your unit.

I had it on the cig lighter but i had problems. When I start the car (start button) it cuts for two sec the power of the lighter and that was a problem for the tablet. I found a source that didnt cut in the ignition and I use this one to power the tablet.

The app is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cyphercove.audioglowfs&hl=el

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ah, right. Do you know if that's a common issue with all Civics and cigarette lighters? Also, did you try the power plug in the armrest, to see if it cuts out after ignition too?
How did you setup the wake up and sleep animations (the ones with the speedo & rev counter gauges at startup, and Honda logo at power down)? Is it the kernel thing?
Sry if I seem to bother you, this is somewhat new for me however I really like this setup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah, right. Do you know if that's a common issue with all Civics and cigarette lighters? Also, did you try the power plug in the armrest, to see if it cuts out after ignition too?
How did you setup the wake up and sleep animations (the ones with the speedo & rev counter gauges at startup, and Honda logo at power down)? Is it the kernel thing?
Sry if I seem to bother you, this is somewhat new for me however I really like this setup.
Yes this happen to all civic. The ignition time car needs all the power of the battery to start the engine, so it cuts it from all the accessories. You can see it in yours too. When you push the start button the radio stops for 2 sec. Put a phone to charge to the cig lighter and you will see that also stops. This is happening also to protect all this circuits from overload.
Those animations are from kernel. You put on the internal memory of nexus a powerup and a powerdown video and plays automatically.

If you choose another tablet you can skip this "problems" with Tasker app. Tasker is like programming.
So lets say for the power issue you can do something like this

if power=0
wait 3 sec
if still power=0
go to stand by

so the tablet waits 3 sec and if the power returns dosent go to stand by

with the video you can do something like this

if power=1
open screen
play powerup.mp4

so when you start the car opens the screen and plays the video...

You don't bother me at all. When I decide to start a project like this I was googling for almost a year to find all the answers. I was hoping to find a guy to ask him all my questions. I understand you and I m here to help you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes the sound still plays through the factory unit. I'm using a bluetooth aux adapter in the aux port. You can use something like this bluetooth aux | eBay

Thank you, some of my other questions have been answered below but I have a few more if thats ok?

• With the Bluetooth thing you've got. Did you plug this in behind the head unit itself? Or does it run from the cigarette lighter?
  • How did you get the reversing camera bit show up on the Nexus, what kit have you got involved for this setup? Does it also provide an audio beep like reversing sensors?
  • The speedo display/app thing you had on the Nexus. Is that connected to your Civic too? So when you accelorate it will pick up on the Nexus?! How is this done if so?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, some of my other questions have been answered below but I have a few more if thats ok?

• With the Bluetooth thing you've got. Did you plug this in behind the head unit itself? Or does it run from the cigarette lighter?
  • How did you get the reversing camera bit show up on the Nexus, what kit have you got involved for this setup? Does it also provide an audio beep like reversing sensors?
  • The speedo display/app thing you had on the Nexus. Is that connected to your Civic too? So when you accelorate it will pick up on the Nexus?! How is this done if so?

Thank you!!

this bluetooth thing is connected in a aux port. My civic has an aux port, a usb port and a cig lighter in the arm rest. So I put it there and is powered from the cig lighter. When you turn on the car this thing is powered. Tablet see it and automatically conects to that.So the music stars playing through the factory speakers.

For the reversing camera for sure you need a easycap device. This device change the analog signal of the camera to a digital signal for the tablet. Before you buy a thing like that you have to make sure that has a stk1160 chip. In my installation I have this easycap connected to a relay. The relay is triggered by the reverse lights. So when I put the reverse the relay is triggered and the easycap is connecting to the tablet. The tablet sees that the easycap is connected and opens the app for the reverse image. This is an feature of the Timurs Kernel. There is also another way with an app called Easycap viewer. This app open automatically when it sees video signal (e.g when you put reverse and your camera is powered)
check this video
The camera hasnt the beep sound.

For the speedo app you have to buy something like this
this a bluetooth obd. Every car has a special socket for this. In our car is under the wheel or better over the pedals in drivers seat. you have to connect it there and you have to download a specific app for this like torque app or dashcommand. You connect the tablet through bluetooth with this adapter ,you open the app and you see all this things in your screen.You can test it with your mobile phone too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Mate! Thanks again for your patience in answering our questions. :thumbsup:

Does the BT OBD2 device has it's own battery, or is it powered via the OBD2 slot itself? What would be a better solution, BT adapter, or a more expensive Wifi one? Being the receiver for those signals, with what protocol you think the tablet would use less power?

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
The OBD port powers the transmitter, no need for batteries.

Beware that the OBD port has constant power, so will be an extra drain on your battery. Unless you get a transmitter with a on/off button or find one that powers down automatically somehow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts