2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my NHB FN2 for a few months now and it's in desperate need of a machine polish.
Its absolutely covered it swirls and light scratches from the previous owner which look terrible in direct light.
I've asked my other half for a DA for christmas and just trying to get all the correct gear, I've been doing lots of research and have come up with the following. I'll be buying tar and fallout remover aswell. I'm not looking for perfection, just looking for it to not look like it's been cleaned with wire wool.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've been reading lots of yours and Shawn's threads lots of great information there, and watched countless youtube videos. Never done it before but does look really rewarding.

Do you recon that combination is strong enough to remove those scratches in the picture? Or should I pick up some scholl s20 aswell, maybe another pad? Thank you.

·
Administrator
15,507 Posts
If you work 205 long enough with a bit more added pressure then you should remove the majority of general swirling. For deeper scratches etc then you may need to step up the polish to something a tad more aggresive and yes S20 will be perfect.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thank you, I'll give #205 a go and see what results I get. Should I get a 3 inch backing plate and pad or could I do the whole car with a standard 5.5 inch pad.

·
Administrator
15,507 Posts
Great thank you, I'll give #205 a go and see what results I get. Should I get a 3 inch backing plate and pad or could I do the whole car with a standard 5.5 inch pad.
Ideally you want a smaller backing plate also so yes 3" which will take 3.5"-4" pads which will enable you to have more control for areas like bumpers, wing mirrors and around doors etc where a bigger pad wont be much use.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I'll have to pick one up.
I've never de tarred a car before but I know it should be done, but being a black car it would be difficult to see if there is any tar spots, would you recommend just de tarring all around the lower part of the car?

·
i-Vtec
1,704 Posts
Thank you, I'll have to pick one up.
I've never de tarred a car before but I know it should be done, but being a black car it would be difficult to see if there is any tar spots, would you recommend just de tarring all around the lower part of the car?
"Most" tar ends up on the lower half and within the throw of the wheels. With a black car id be inclined to spray the whole lower half, front to back and leave to soak. Taking a clean microfibre spray a good amount on said microfibre then go around the area you sprayed to remove. Autoglym Tar Remover, with a spray head or via a spray bottle, would be my suggestion as its cheap and easy to source.
Id also be inclined to you a fall out remover to decontaminate any heavy metal on the paint. Bilt Hamber Korrosol is a fantastic product, although Autoglym Magma is good and again easy to source.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for that, I'll do that when I get round to doing it.
Does anyone know what these white spots are all over my car, some of them I can pick off, I'm hoping the machine polish will make it look better.
Screenshot_20191216-163544_Gallery.jpg
20191216_135730.jpg
20191216_135703.jpg
20191216_135635.jpg

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,664 Posts
Could be ash from a fire? I get those sometimes when someone has a garden fire. Assuming they weren’t there after you machine polished, ie dried up polish residue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It was still there after I washed the car. I havent machine polished it yet as I'm getting one for christmas so that will be a job for next year. I'm hoping it removes what ever it is.
Really not impressed with honda paint, it has to be the worst paint on a car I've ever owned. Only one scratch on the whole car but its let down by these weird white spots, also the paint on the spolier looks pretty bad aswell.
This is the spoiler, its feels smooth so I'm guessing it's the laquer that's gone funny?
20191019_164903.jpg

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Have you tried a little bit of Autosol on an out of sight bit?
A bit of careful polishing with that or some light cutting compound will soon tell you if giving it a MOP will sort it.

Yes Honda paint is soft. Mine's better after a respray because it now has 2x the paint thickness Honda put on.

Another thought - is it possible that this is damage from a gritting lorry going past the car at some time in it's life and showering it at close range -- are these tiny stone chips in the clear coat surface?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm really not sure what it is, I've never polished the car only waxed it.
I've got some meguiars ultimate compound, do you recon its worth giving that a little try by hand to see if it removes it?

Just tried some ultimate compound on the spoiler and it has dulled the spots down but not removed them. I'll just wait for my DA to come and get the car properly prepped and polished, it should make a massive improvement.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All my bits have come now, just got to wait until after christmas. Looking forward to get it done, just need a few more bits, a small plate and pad I think as the bumpers look quite difficult to do with a 5 inch pad.
Hopefully it will good as good as new!
20191218_201002.jpg
20191218_200142.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could it be sandblasting residue? I had something similar on one of my old cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I havent got a clue what it is, I cant feel it but the compound did take some of it completely off.

I've only had it a few months but the previous owner had it from new and only did around 3,000 miles a year so it wasnt used an awful lot. Maybe baked in tree sap that's eaten the laquer a bit?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's looks lovely! I'm only doing a single stage but it's only a light cut polish, not looking for perfection just want to get that blue flake back into it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts