2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Got an 08 nighthawk black civic type S, and it's looking a little worse for wear compared to when I bought it a year ago, and is just in need of a little TLC.

I have been browsing over the cleaning forum for quite a while and in short I don't even know where to start product wise as there seems to be so much to choose from. With it getting to be summer I want my car to look the best, and basically i'm asked for beginners advice on how to make the exterior of my car look great.

In short - I'm a cleaning and detailing noob that has just been using £5 car washes ever since I have owned a car. HELP!

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Depending on where in Yorkshire you are take a trip to see Mr Wistow. He will sort the car out for you, give you advice on products and techniques and give you a telling off for taking your car to the local scratch merchants. Haha

·
SHOCKD
4,351 Posts
Depending on where in Yorkshire you are take a trip to see Mr Wistow. He will sort the car out for you, give you advice on products and techniques and give you a telling off for taking your car to the local scratch merchants. Haha
+1

I would have done this if I lived a little closer

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,684 Posts
As you have been using the £5 washes then I suspect your car is now full of swirls, meaning it has lost its gloss. The only way to get it back is to polish the car. If by hand use gtechniq P1 or Meguiars #205 if using a DA polisher. Once done then protect it with a decent wax.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it's safe to say after I found the cleaning section of this forum that I have been neglecting my car. Thanks for all the advice, will give the gtechniq polish a go, any recommendations on a wax to use?

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,684 Posts
Yes it's safe to say after I found the cleaning section of this forum that I have been neglecting my car. Thanks for all the advice, will give the gtechniq polish a go, any recommendations on a wax to use?
Prepare to have arms like Popeye if doing it by hand, reckon it will take you a full day to do it by hand. Check out this

As for wax :worms: Far too many to choose from, but if your on a budget then I'd go for Meguiars #16 or Collinite 845

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prepare to have arms like Popeye if doing it by hand, reckon it will take you a full day to do it by hand.
Sheesh you aren't over exaggerating! Think I will see if any of my friends have a machine polisher. If not, might have to invest in one.

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,684 Posts
Sheesh you aren't over exaggerating! Think I will see if any of my friends have a machine polisher. If not, might have to invest in one.
It'll take a full day by machine also, but not as strenuous a job. Good luck, I don't mind giving you some tips if you're close by.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm from near Bradford, I have a week off at the end of June, and I might have to have a trip out over to you for something to do! Might have to treat myself to a 'shaunyshine' in all fairness

Reactions: shaunwistow

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
You want a really good wash soap a microfibre wash mitt, a good polish, wax and microfibre polish cloths..

From a polish point of view I've been using autoglym super resin polish, which works a treat for black cars..I use a microfibre applicator pad and wipe clean with a microfibre cloth..

Also chemical guys do a liquid wax called blacklight which is awesome and then you can seal itwith their hybrid v7 spray..

What you usually find is the more you look after the car the more easier it becomes to maintain..another good start might be a light abrasive liquid black t cut or a maguires paint cleaner..start with this first to really clean the car before using the polish or wax.. I tend to stay away from turtle wax stuff..there black polish stuff is alright..chemical guys products have been really good and worth a try..

I've tried the autoglym hd wax but had a slight scare one when a small stone got
On the applicator pad and scratched the paint..luckily some super resin polish took it
Out..the hd wax works a treat but just needs a bit more elbow grease. And you have to really apply it thin..great finish and shine..leaves a fantastic protective coat and water just beads off..

As for soap I was using Mers from halfords..this is really good..

I tend to just experiment with different things. And these are the better ones I've tried and worked better for me. I'm not in any way a professionally detailer or claim to be, you might find other products better for you..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You want a really good wash soap a microfibre wash mitt, a good polish, wax and microfibre polish cloths..

From a polish point of view I've been using autoglym super resin polish, which works a treat for black cars..I use a microfibre applicator pad and wipe clean with a microfibre cloth..

Also chemical guys do a liquid wax called blacklight which is awesome and then you can seal itwith their hybrid v7 spray..

What you usually find is the more you look after the car the more easier it becomes to maintain..another good start might be a light abrasive liquid black t cut or a maguires paint cleaner..start with this first to really clean the car before using the polish or wax.. I tend to stay away from turtle wax stuff..there black polish stuff is alright..chemical guys products have been really good and worth a try..

I've tried the autoglym hd wax but had a slight scare one when a small stone got
On the applicator pad and scratched the paint..luckily some super resin polish took it
Out..the hd wax works a treat but just needs a bit more elbow grease. And you have to really apply it thin..great finish and shine..leaves a fantastic protective coat and water just beads off..

As for soap I was using Mers from halfords..this is really good..

I tend to just experiment with different things. And these are the better ones I've tried and worked better for me. I'm not in any way a professionally detailer or claim to be, you might find other products better for you..

Your car looks absolutely amazing. That's exactly what I'm hoping to get mine back to looking like! Thanks for the info.

Reactions: IDWYDW

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
You're welcome mate. If there is anything I can help with let me know. Like I said the more you work on it the easier it become and better it looks..autoglym resin polish is good stuff...

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Also to confirm my bumpers are not colour coded to the Metallic paint..

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,684 Posts
Just a heads up AGSRP is not a "proper" polish, it's full of fillers, so it does not remove the swirls, it masks them. But it's much easier to use by hand, and if you're not bothered about removing your swirls it's a good product to use as IDWYDW has demonstrated.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Just a heads up AGSRP is not a "proper" polish, it's full of fillers, so it does not remove the swirls, it masks them. But it's much easier to use by hand, and if you're not bothered about removing your swirls it's a good product to use as IDWYDW has demonstrated.

Absolutely right..the resin fills in the swirls and any light scratches..but the finish is next to none coupled with some chemical guys hybrid v7

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Think I will see if any of my friends have a machine polisher. If not, might have to invest in one.
Might have to treat myself to a 'shaunyshine' in all fairness
If I were you I'd go for the second option. :)

If you buy a machine polisher you'll have to learn how to use it. Once you have, with the right cleaning techniques, you'll probably not need to use it again.

It will be cheaper to let Shaun do it and then pick his brains on how to clean the car correctly. :)

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,684 Posts
If I were you I'd go for the second option. :)

If you buy a machine polisher you'll have to learn how to use it. Once you have, with the right cleaning techniques, you'll probably not need to use it again.

It will be cheaper to let Shaun do it and then pick his brains on how to clean the car correctly. :)
Cheers Boss, however, I don't machine polish other people's cars. Too much like hard work & at least 10 hours for a single stage from start to finish.

I could polish part of the bonnet & let the OP have a go so they know what's involved. They can then borrow/buy a DA.

I'll do anything else though inc thorough clean & protect etc :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also to confirm my bumpers are not colour coded to the Metallic paint..
What products have you used on the trims? In those pictures I didn't even notice they weren't colour coded... I have plasticared mine but they look no where near as good as that! :facepalm:

Aye, people think it's a quick whiz around with a machine & hey presto. Wayne will agree, he has more time on his hands with shift work so he will probably polish the OP's car.
I completely understand it's not going to be an hours job. I'm not phased that it will be a days job to to polish her up. I also need to do something about the state of the bonnett - stone chipped to f***. Most upsetting...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts