2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's starting to annoy me that there's only a manual dimmer control for the dash lights. Every car I've had for the last 10 years has had a little light sensor that winds the brightness up and down.

Time for an "improvements for the next model year" sticky....

·
Registered
288 Posts
As i was driving a 500 km trip I noticed that the dashboard sometimes gets darker and sometimes brighter? Dont know why it dimmed down at times but it did

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Unless Ancient Nerd meant the kind of auto lights, that turn themselves on in the dark. In Finland we drive with the head lights on at all times.

They are automatically switched on when the car starts.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yes, it was the lights that turn themselves on when it gets dark that I meant. If auto made was set, this might explain the dash lights changing brightness, if the main lights switched themselves on or off, then the dash lighting would change settings between day and night.

However, if your main lights are on all the time, that is unlikely to be the explanation.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I seem to remember vaguely from one of my test drives that the dash lights do get dimmer when its darker.
I'm not sure whether it's got something to do with the time of day or if the car has some sort of sensors. As I said, can't be sure. It was a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
If you have different dash brightness settings for lights on and off, then you would see that happen with auto lights.

I personally prefer full brightness day and night.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
basegreen said:
If you have different dash brightness settings for lights on and off, then you would see that happen with auto lights.

I personally prefer full brightness day and night.
Know what you mean, however, with the sat nav if you have at full bright it doesn't switch to night mode, you have to press the brightness button 3 times to change or dim the dash lights.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
We're going to need something like a pre-flight check list. :wink:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just tested it today, finnish civics have automatic brightness adjustment on the instrument panel. It was really sunny and i was driving a road which had lots of trees casting shadows, the lights kept turning on and off on the instrument panel as shadows hit the windshield. Had to switch to driving lights only, it didnt sound very healthy :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
faulty sensor?

well i live in finland and i have the 2007 model, but my lights go on and off as they will. one night i was going to work at 1.30am and it was pitch black an i had the lights on auto setting. the headligths worked like charm but the dashboard remained unlit. same thing with the footwell lights, wich lead me to notice the problem in the first place. but the i went to work in the morning, 6 am and it was really sunny day...and the lights were on in the dash! i saw the little indication mark "lights on" in left of the rev counter. btw, that did not come on when i drove my car to work at night. i also have tried blocking the light sensor to get them to work, but no luck...what to do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts