2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

No boost after glow plug and air filter change

Performance 
8K views 53 replies 7 participants last post by  Adamsnake 
#1 ·
Hi All,

So my 2009 2.2 diesel civic is starting to give me some problems after 139K reliable miles.

I was driving and the engine management light came on and the car went in to limp mode. I pulled over and turned the car off and on again and this brought the performance back but the light would stay on. Went to my usual garage and they said it was the glow plugs, the error code was P1384 glow plug circuit malfunction.

So glow plugs were changed and I also had the air filter changed as the old one was looking rather dirty. Drove home perfectly fine no warning lights and performance is back :grin2:

Next morning I went out and there is just no boost, no warning lights at all but it's like my turbo has gone on holiday overnight. :frown2:

Any ideas where I go from here what could be the problem?

#2 ·
If this really is the turbo failing then it's strange that you aren't getting the diagnostic trouble code for low boost pressure, plus the engine warning light coming on again. Nevertheless, it's probably worth checking that a boost hose hasn't come off and, if possible, that the intercooler hasn't split.

Could be fuel? Weirdly, bouts of low fuel pressure can often cause the glowplug warning light to come on... when was the fuel filter last changed and is it the correct OEM (Denso) part?

If you have access to an OBD2 code reader then check for 'pending' error codes... even if the ECU hasn't confirmed an error condition and not yet put up the warning, often a new problem will have been noted. Most code readers will also display live data, which is really useful for diagnosing turbo/boost problems... you can also read the MAP sensor value changing as you drive around and - depending on load and other conditions - you should see the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) soar well up past the 100kPa (1 bar) value as the turbo kicks in.

If you haven't got an OBD2 code reader then get one ASAP... the ELM327 types are available for less than £3 and some of the free Android apps are so good (I use Torque and Car Scanner, depending if I'm just reading codes or if I'm logging data).

#3 ·
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the feedback.

I should have probably included that about 3 weeks ago I was massively stressed and without thinking I filled up with the wrong fuel, I put a tank full of petrol in my diesel and then proceeded to drive it about 4 miles before it came to a halt at the side of the road. The fuel was then pumped out and I had the fuel filter changed with a genuine Honda one. So these problems are ultimately my own making.

When I went to the garage to have the fuel filter replaced it was showing two fault codes P1237 - Boost pressure lower than expected and P1384 - Glow plug circuit malfunction. The fuel filter was replaced and both codes cleared.

The following day the P1384 - Glow plug circuit malfunction code re-appeared this time the glow plugs were replaced and the code was cleared. At this visit to the garage, I also had the air filter replaced not that it should make a difference to this issue, since then no warning lights have come on, the car was fine on the way back from the garage. Only the following day did the performance issues reappear but this time with no warning lights.

I'll purchase one of the code readers you've mentioned as it saves the time and cost of going to the garage to get them to read them for me.

With this added background where do you think the fault is likely to lie?

#5 ·
It would have been good to have known of the cross-fuelling, but doesn't alter the need to monitor pending fault codes and to read the real-time data, logging if necessary (the free Android 'Car Scanner' app is excellent for this, in conjunction with an ELM327)

If anything, petrol might have damaged the fuel pump and injectors, so low fuel pressure codes P1065 and P0087 might pop up. I doubt that petrol in the fuel could have damaged the turbo though, and definitely not the glowplugs. Bit of a mystery!

#6 ·
Hi Jon,

So my ELM327 has now arrived and I've downloaded the Car Scanner app. I've got it connected up and clicked on the 'Diagnostic trouble codes' icon but it returns no fault codes. Are you able to help me through the steps I need to take to help diagnose the problem please.

Many thanks.

#7 ·
That was quick! Seeing as how it was your first concern, I'd suggest starting with checking the boost, so you need to connect the app then open up 'all sensors' and find the MAP sensor value on the table... as you drive around you should see this figure vary considerably and rise to give a peak MAP of around 190kPa under high load (maximum boost on these is 0.93 bar), it may be useful to log it as a graph so you can examine it properly to confirm the highs and lows (I can't remember how to do this, but it was easy).

A common thing that can kill boost is the EGR valve sticking open. Have you ever cleaned it?

#10 ·
Quick update, the vacuum test kit arrived today. I've tested the EGR valve and it's holding the vacuum fine no leaks, so I believe that means it's working ok. I'll give it a clean and put it back in the car and then hook up the ELM327 and have a look at the MAP sensor.

#14 ·
It is boosting, although not huge amounts. ' Around the block' suggests lots of on/off throttle, it'd be a better test to run it up a long hill under extended wide open throttle at mid-revs where the turbo might be more likely to operate flat out.

#20 ·
Hi mate,

thanks for the prompt reply, the pressure at idle is around 99kPa I believe, at full throttle it's not going past 125kPa.

I'm not sure where to look for the "boost control solenoid? Loose intercooler pipe?" are there any diagrams you can point me towards please?

I've checked the two pipes that go in and out of the air filter box and they look fine and are secure.

Thanks.

#25 ·
I'd look at the hoses, splashing soapy water on any joints that look doubtful and then checking for bubbles after a run. The boost control actuator linkage should also be checked to make sure it hasn't partially seized (short rod from the turbo to the vacuum controller).

#30 ·
You need to get yourself under the bonnet, take that plastic acoustic cover off the top of the engine and make sure there's no loose pipes. As Jon suggested, a concentrated soapy water mix smeared on the boost pipework from the turbo to intercooler to inlet would bubble up after a short drive. By the way you describe it though, something has just stopped working, not gradually failed. That to me would indicate a pipe popped off or something similar. Check the intercooler pipe that runs under the gearbox too. All connections must be tight.

I'm surprised you're not getting a low boost light.

#31 · (Edited)
I have checked the pipes in and out of the intercooler and everything is fine, no leaks no splits all nice tight and secure.

As Jon suggested I have checked the boost control actuator linkage or at least what I believed it to be and that is fine not stuck or siezed. I took a picture to confirm I'm looking at the right part.

OK, I can confirm that is the wrong part as the turbo is actually somewhere near the back of the engine. Will have to see if I can get to it somehow.

#32 ·
No that's the intake swirl valve. Those little black pipes that are connected the swirl valve actuator and the egr actuator. Trace them around the engine, one should lead to the turbo actuator at the back of the engine. Make sure they're all attached. I really think something has been knocked.

#33 ·
Quick update so while driving today the EML came on, I came home and connected the ELM327 and performed a scan, it came back showing error code P1237 when I tapped for a description it says Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Malfunction.

Considering this whole power loss/boost loss issue started after I put the wrong fuel in the car, a fuel pump error does make a lot of sense. Just need to do some searching to see what this error means and what the appropriate fix for it would be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.