2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im a bit confused about no-claims bonuss, if you have a car with say 5 years no-claims bonus and then you go out and buy a second car do you also have 5 years no-claims bonus on that car and if not can you take some of the no-claims of the one car and put them on the other car also at the moment im on my mums insurance on my car wich she has now got 2 years no-claims on so when i change my car and insurance company but still in my mums name can i say my mums got 2 years no-claims bonus on my new car? thanks,dan.

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
Some companies (Direct Line for one) allow you to count being a named driver as building up no claims. It depends on the insurance company.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
You've confused me now too with the second part of your post relating to your Mums insurance. :confused:

Regarding the use of NCD it can only be used on one car at a time. There are companies that will duplicate your NCD onto another car, if you hold both policies with the same companies, but that is down to individual companies.

With your Mums insurance are you saying she insures your car with you on as a named driver and has two years NCD?

If you are then yes, if you sell your car and buy another and your Mum is insuring that one, her 2 years NCD will be valid for that new car.

Hope this helps! :)

·
R - 11859
625 Posts
hi, im a bit confused about no-claims bonuss, if you have a car with say 5 years no-claims bonus and then you go out and buy a second car do you also have 5 years no-claims bonus on that car and if not can you take some of the no-claims of the one car and put them on the other car also at the moment im on my mums insurance on my car wich she has now got 2 years no-claims on so when i change my car and insurance company but still in my mums name can i say my mums got 2 years no-claims bonus on my new car? thanks,dan.
Your better off getting an insurance company (eg. Direct Line ) that allow NCB to be gained by the named drivers. This way, when you eventually get your own insurance, you'll have a few years NCB to lower your premium.
DL are not the cheapest though, so beware !

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Dan - first up, definately read the thread Dalboy mentioned above :)

Not suggesting for a moment that it does apply to you, but worth a read anyway :)
and you need to be careful with phrases like 'my car' if you are the named driver :)

back to your original question:
If your mum owns a car, on which you have been a named driver for 2 years, and she has 2 yrs NCB.
If you then buy your own car (but she keeps hers), then some insurance companies will let you start off with
at least some NCB, maybe even the full 2 years.

If however, you are say 4 months into your 3rd year of NCB and your mum sells her car, and buys a new one, and keeps you on the insurance then a few things could happen...
1) the old insurance company are happy to insure you (both) on the new car, so will charge you an amount to 'to up' to the end of the third year. This may or may not be the cheapest option for you...

2) you shop around, and find a dead cheap deal. They will only allow you 2 years NCB, as you haven't earnt your 3rd year yet. Bear in mind that you will also get some refund on your current insurance (but not a lot)

3) current insuance co refuses you insurance on the new car. see point 2 :)

hope that makes a least a bit of sense! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts