2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I was going to get a test ride in one of the new Civics, and was checking the available information and found out that you can't get a hitch on the most attractive models, the 1.5 sport and sport+, so now I'm about to cancel it

This seems kind of odd, since the magic seats are gone, so now you can't toss a bike in the car and then would put it obvious to put it on the Bicycle trailer, but that's not possible either.

That is unless you buy the most expensive edition with the leather seats and glass roof, which I don't need and I don't want to spend almost 50000 Dkk (5700£) for those features making the car a costly affair of around 350000Dkk (39970£) in Denmark.

I really think they made a mistake with the stupid exhausts to be centered on the sport model, as I don't mind for them to be completely hidden or located in the left and right side as with the original 2006 model.
There's no need to limit the use of the car just by saying that it looks sporty with centered exhausts, that in my opinion is just plain stupid.

I was really looking forward to the new model, but it seems I have to look elsewhere since it is way too expensive in the first place and forcing customers to buy the model with either the lowest specs or the highest to be able to attach a hitch is a huge disappointment.

Does anyone know if it is possible to order a 1.5 sport but with exhausts placed like on the 1.0 or the 1.5 exclusive so it would be able to have a hitch mounted?

/J.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
That is bad news - I need a towbar on my car for bikes (3 or 4 usually) and for towing a trailer when we camp. I note that according to Honda UK's website, the EX trim only comes with the 1 litre engine.

As you say, without the magic seats it's not the same car. And given it's also (in my opinion) an ugly car, one wonders what it has going for it. If I want reliable, uninteresting and ugly I could buy a Toyota :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hitch

Hi
Take a look on the curtmfg.com web site. (Curt Manufacturing)
Thay advertise a towing hitch for the 2017 Civic Sport Plus.
Including some neat installation drawings

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi
Take a look on the curtmfg.com web site. (Curt Manufacturing)
Thay advertise a towing hitch for the 2017 Civic Sport Plus.
Including some neat installation drawings
Had a look on Curt Manufacturing website and they only sell towing hitches for LX, EX, EX-L models which do not have central exhausts. In US the Sport and Sport Touring are equivalent of UK/European Sport and Sport+ which do have central exhausts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what the models equal to in Denmark.
Here we have:
1.0 Comfort, 1.0 Elegance, 1.5 Sport, 1.5 Sport +, 1.5 Prestige
249000Dkk, 279000Dkk, 299000Dkk, 339000Dkk, 349000Dkk

Ranging from 28422£ to 39835£ and that is just the base price before any extras.
And I'm pretty sure it would be expensive to import a hitch from the US even if it is possible to attach it here, so that is a bit of gamble I think.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Not sure if your market has the Black styling pack that consists of a front/rear underspoiler and side skirts which help make a non-Sport car look like a Sport model. However you do miss out on the increased engine power output (approximately 7Kw extra) of the Sport due to the freer flowing exhaust system and different engine / ECU tune specific to that trim level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
Here in Belgium the prestige has the same power output as the sport regardless of the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Here in Belgium the prestige has the same power output as the sport regardless of the exhaust.

In Australia all 1.5T variants (all tuned to run on standard non-premium fuel) are rated the same power output of 127Kw, including the one with the twin central exhausts (the RS, equivalent to Sport+) which should have 134Kw (as per the UK, US spec). I emailed Honda and received a carefully worded reply saying improved peformance would be available on the RS using Premium fuel but they couldn't comment if the power increase would be as much as the overseas spec cars. I think the only way to check this would be to get the car dyno tested if and when I get the car (early 2018 at this stage).

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Well you probably need the ECU to be trimmed to the higher octane fuel to get higher power. So flash the program of an European Civic on an Australian one, fill up with premium and have fun. On the other hand, seeing that premium costs roughly 0.2€ more per liter I don't know if it's really worth it...

But this thread is derailing a bit. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well you probably need the ECU to be trimmed to the higher octane fuel to get higher power. So flash the program of an European Civic on an Australian one, fill up with premium and have fun. On the other hand, seeing that premium costs roughly 0.2€ more per liter I don't know if it's really worth it...

But this thread is derailing a bit. Sorry about that.

Yes, the effort involved wouldn't be worth it for the slight performance increase and warranty would be affected as well. I do know already that the 1.5L turbo sedan model (6kgs lighter than the hatch) can do 0-100kmh in 7.54 seconds for the CVT, having the extra power might take off another 0.2 seconds? If there is no extra power, I'm interested to hear if the exhaust from the Sport sounds any louder/sportier than the normal hidden tailpipe versions? If not, I'll just get the Prestige equivalent (top of line VTILX) as where I am only that trim gets the full Honda Sensing suite, an auto-dimming rear view mirror and Garmin GPS Navigation with TMC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts