2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I thought I'd just share this experience as I never found a reference to it on the forum and it may help someone else.

A couple of weeks ago I came out to my car and upon starting it realised the rev counter, display (in rev counter), fuel gauge and temperature gauge were not lit up or functioning. Speedo was lit up but stayed at zero and no dash buttons were lit up. It had all been working hours before when I parked it.

I popped it in to the dealer and they spent half a day scratching their heads over it, anyhow Honda came back to them and basically it needed a software update to the MICU. The explanation I got was that the MICU stores codes and lots of various non problematic codes and events that don't necessarily bring on an engine management light but on some vehicles it is unable to clear the older codes and once the memory becomes full it shuts itself off and with it the instrumentation. Might save someone poking around in the fusebox pointlessly like I did :)

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
Interesting find, thanks for letting us know :thumbsup:

Kinda odd that it shuts down the instrument display but I guess it's not tempting you to keep driving.

Did the stealer figure out why your car had so many codes stored?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked them the question as I found it odd that it would have any codes at all but from my understanding of what they told me all cars nowadays store like an event log of data, it doesn't necessarily mean fault codes. I'm guessing this if for diagnosis of faults that don't create a fault code as such and also warranty situations so that they can see for an example what the sensors were showing when an engine failed I would think.

My car has done around 45k but I would think it's probably a combination of engine run time and number of starts before anyone with the same software revision would experience the same. Interestingly though when I asked why this was not picked up at the regular service they told me Honda only issue this revision of software at failure not before.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I asked them the question as I found it odd that it would have any codes at all but from my understanding of what they told me all cars nowadays store like an event log of data, it doesn't necessarily mean fault codes. I'm guessing this if for diagnosis of faults that don't create a fault code as such and also warranty situations so that they can see for an example what the sensors were showing when an engine failed I would think.

My car has done around 45k but I would think it's probably a combination of engine run time and number of starts before anyone with the same software revision would experience the same. Interestingly though when I asked why this was not picked up at the regular service they told me Honda only issue this revision of software at failure not before.
Yep, because it's that hard to plug in a laptop and update the software... Jesus I don't understand why they don't offer updates more for cars... it costs them near nothing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts