2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In their wisdom Honda no longer provide any tools or a jack with the new 1.6. All you get is the bottle of chewing gum and the small compressor.

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
weight saving

·
Super Moderator
21,037 Posts
So what happens if you buy the space saver spare wheel ?

Does this apply to all 9G's ?

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
Isn't the jack stored in the second compartment like the 8g?? Gunge and compressor in right compartment , jack brace and tools in the left??

Sent via NecronomiPhon

·
Super Moderator
21,037 Posts
I thought that as well.

What made me wonder though was that the EX and EX-GT have a sub woofer where the gunk is stored so does it all fit on the left ?

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
two compartments. sub woofer etc are on the right as you look at the rear of the car, the compressor and gunk come in a zip case which can be strapped in to the lfet hand side.

The compartment that held the jack and tools is now empty (2013 MY cars), if you choose to get a space saver, the kit comes with Jack and tools.

If you dont have a spare, why do you need a jack? is the question asked.

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,676 Posts
What about when/if you want to rotate the wheels around? Also surely it would be difficult to inflate a flat tyre if it is not jacked up? Just my thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
21,037 Posts
two compartments. sub woofer etc are on the right as you look at the rear of the car, the compressor and gunk come in a zip case which can be strapped in to the lfet hand side.

The compartment that held the jack and tools is now empty (2013 MY cars), if you choose to get a space saver, the kit comes with Jack and tools.

If you dont have a spare, why do you need a jack? is the question asked.
So transferring my current spare to a new MY13 car means I take the jack and tools with me as well !

Thanks for the heads up on this one :D

·
My VTEC doesn't VTEC
1,110 Posts
What about when/if you want to rotate the wheels around? Also surely it would be difficult to inflate a flat tyre if it is not jacked up? Just my thoughts.
That's what I was thinking, surely the gunk would work better on a tyre with no weight on it? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Looks like a few 8th gen trade in's will be minus a jack then.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Not just that but how about taking the wheels of for cleaning - changing brake pads etc? Not everyone has a trolley jack.

However, having looked at a few new cars recently it's not just Honda that are doing this...

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lack of Jack.

When I picked up my i.6 yesterday I noticed there was no Jack or tools.I returned to the dealer today and after being told "no jack" I took my space saver (which I intended to do anyway) and the jack and tools. The compartment in the boot to the right still houses the compressor and gunge (1.6 ES) and to the left is an empty bracket where the Jack would normally go.If you order a spacesaver then a Jack and tools come with it. As has been previously stated there are going to be lots of second Civics minus a Jack and tools.How shortsighted is this policy by Honda.

·
Super Moderator
21,037 Posts
I've had a change of heart on this.

My current space saver has been in the boot of 2 Civic's now and the rubber is 6 years old.

Having had a dig around it seems you shouldn't keep any tyre longer than 6 years as it could be lethal in use.

I'm going to get a new one with tools - for safety.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I've had a change of heart on this.

My current space saver has been in the boot of 2 Civic's now and the rubber is 6 years old.

Having had a dig around it seems you shouldn't keep any tyre longer than 6 years as it could be lethal in use.

I'm going to get a new one with tools - for safety.
I think you may be over reacting. The space saver wheel is for emergency use only. For limited use at reduced speeds. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Just check it periodically for correct pressure and for cracks and you'll be safe enough (which is more than most motorists do anyway)

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I think you may be over reacting. The space saver wheel is for emergency use only. For limited use at reduced speeds. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Just check it periodically for correct pressure and for cracks and you'll be safe enough (which is more than most motorists do anyway)
I have to agree Kremmen, if you had a puncture tomorrow you wouldn't think twice about putting in the spacesaver for a short time. It's not as if you would drive 100's of miles with it on.

Reactions: Kremmen
1 - 20 of 68 Posts