2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has tried out the wheel repair kit that's fitted instead of the spare wheel. Is it easy to do? Are there lots of limitations on the type of flat tyre it can repair?

I normally have to fit the spare every three years so I know it's going to come up.

The last time I had a flat tyre on my Golf I couldn't get the wheel off without borrowing a very large mallet - I guess it was too much trouble for VW to apply a dab of grease to stop the wheel seizing to the fitting!

Marcus.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Well there's three years AA cover, which should help a bit.

Someone on the another site said their kit didn't work when they tried to use it with a hole bigger than 6mm.

Bit dodgy, and I'd get a space saver, but I don't want to lose the boot space to be honest, I like the dip :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean about the dip and I'm sure there is a weight saving from not having to carry that fifth wheel around.

Anything unconventional always catches my eye though ))

·
Banned
44 Posts
I ordered a "spacesaver" spare when I ordered the car. Still not got it despite reminding the service dept. If the kit is so good, why is the car supplied with a jack??

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I've got a space saver in mine as I don't trust the can of sealant approach 100% Got it included in the deal

There's still a load of space around and in the spare wheel itself for stowing stuff. To give you an idea of the room, I've got a first aid kit, a boxed Halfords compressor, deicer and there's room for the same again. I don't think the dealer put in the actual Civic space saver kit as I would have expected a foam type moulding around the wheel to take up the space. Anyone confirm this for me?

When I went to check out the sealant and Honda compressor, they had removed it from the car. A quick phone call and some polite, but firm words soon got it back :lol:

·
Banned
44 Posts
Hartside.
My dealer phoned to say they have had a delivery of "Spacesavers" for the Civic. They said it comes complete with a net and vinyl bag to store the wheel in and a bolt to fasten it to to the base of the compartment. The kit is shown on page 411 of the manual.
I asked them, if the temp repair fluid seals the leak,-- how can the tyre repair people find the puncture to repair it. Still waiting a reply on that one.

·
Banned
44 Posts
I have a decision to make.---Should I opt for the spacesaver at £100 or do I join the rest or the population and get one of these mobile telephones to summon help via Honda Assist. I have resisted having a portable telephone up to now (Hate the things) but do not fancy getting a flat in the middle of nowhere in the dark. Should I go for the mobile or should I buy a good torch????????

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Join the rest of the modern world and get a phone :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a cheap PAYG phone specially bought for the car. I've had it for years and have no worries about leaving it in the car. Its obsolescence is the best deterrent!

No chav worth his/her bling would be seen dead with it.

:lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
spare wheel

I have had spare wheel fitted and there is no foam around the wheel
there is some under the tyre and the space around the wheel is very useful

It just did not seem right to me to have no spare

The last puncture i had was in spain and the side wall was damaged and had to wait 2 days for a replacement

So i think better to be safe than sorry

A £100 now is much better than the alternative

·
Registered
32 Posts
basegreen said:
Well there's three years AA cover, which should help a bit.

:D
What happens if its late at night and your tyre is shredded? I don't think the AA carry spare wheels. So you leave your car at the side of the road and come back next and find all your wheels missing!
Surely carrying a spare is esssential

Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
We have the 18" storms and a couple of weeks ago my boyfriend ripped the tyre. Unable to use the foam (as it would be useless with a rip) he rang Honda Assist. The AA promptly turned up and towed the car home, how embarrassing! Thankfully it was only about 2 miles from home. However then had to ring around trying to get a new tyre (at the cheapest price for a Michelin Pilot Sport - £150). Then had to get the wheel off and take it to the tyre place a couple of days later when they got the tyre in. Really considering the spare now, more because of the 3 days off the road. At least with a spacesaver you can still use the car.

Gutted at the time but soon forgot when back behind the wheel!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I picked up a large screw embedded in front tyre tread that fortunately only created a slow puncture so was able to get to ATS tyres for repair, unfortunately they said it was an "unrepairable puncture" and quoted £150 for exact tyre replacement but offered discount taking it down to £136. Speaking to the manager he - very reasonably - suggested that another company locally was able to offer "certified major tyre repairs" as I had only covered 1500 miles I had this carried out for £15 but thought it wise to have the repaired tyre fitted to the rear axle. Iv'e had no problems with it thus far. Would still like a spare but love the extra space beneath the boot floor, stores all my tool kit/equipment etc. Difficult choice!

Like Pottsy would like to see how much space it takes up - photo anyone please.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
£100 for a T spare, not too bad when the cost of replacing the repair kit is around £75!
It's been mentioned but if you use the kit, the repair company won't know where the hole or holes are so can't guarantee a repair. The only solution is a new tyre at more than the £100 for a T spare. All down to personal choice I suppose.

The jack is required to take the wheel off to inspect the damage , aid removal of nail etc.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did anyone take advantage of the tyre insurance that was offered?

·
Registered
430 Posts
MC Hammer said:
£100 for a T spare, not too bad when the cost of replacing the repair kit is around £75!
It's been mentioned but if you use the kit, the repair company won't know where the hole or holes are so can't guarantee a repair. The only solution is a new tyre at more than the £100 for a T spare. All down to personal choice I suppose.

The jack is required to take the wheel off to inspect the damage , aid removal of nail etc.
I really had not thought about that - You use the repair kit, and I guess it is then useless. I know that similar kits have been used by friends of mine with motorbikes. The gel that is used makes a horrible mess inside the tyre, and repairers really do not like having to work with it.

Is it really £75 for a new one?? If so, this makes the £100 Spare Tyre a no-brainer, use it or not, when you sell/change your car then ebay it, or transfer to your new Civic.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts