2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Model: 8th Gen, 1.8 (R18A2) 2010

After servicing the accessories belt, pulley and tensioner, it now makes a strange whirring/turbo spin like noise, when revving and when idling.

Browsing different posts / videos, they suggest that the belt is too tight, so I went back to the mechanic and he said that there is no adjustment possible, and everything is handled by the auto-tensioner.

I've attached a video where you can hear both scenarios:

https://youtu.be/-hmZ8wugGQE

Please advise, thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the delay guys.

Here is the under the bonnet video:

There's that whirring noise when revving up... like a turbo whine except it has no turbo :D
It's most prominent after revving when it nears idle, after a few seconds on idle it no longer makes the noise, which makes me think it may be the auto-tensioner and not the idle pulley.

Also noticed an other odd behaviors which I forgot to include in the first post:
- The engine, regardless of the RPM or if rolling in a gear, as long as the RPM is constant there's an "oval" resonance identical to the murmur it produces when idle
- With the A/C turned on, when depressing the clutch the RPM at a stop falls below the idle and then goes back up, like when steering with the car stopped, however this doesn't happen with A/C turned off, and it never happened before replacing these parts, even with A/C on.

Hope someone can shed some light on this as it's worrying, annoying and I'm not too eager to purchase all of these parts again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You need to slacken the tensioner and remove the belt , then Listen in to every pulley accessorie on which that belt would spin , get a long extension bar and use it as a stethoscope on your ear while turning pulleys I'm sure the newer tighter belt is showing up some failing bearings .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was afraid you may say that... all remaining bearings are from the alternator, compressor and engine, expensive :(

The alternator always misbehaved as well, for instance with hazard lights on you can slightly feel the engine "adjusting" every blink.

Thank you! And by the way, great YouTube channel, one of the reasons I chose a Civic was this community and the precious documentation it provides.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
...After servicing the accessories belt, pulley and tensioner, it now makes a strange whirring/turbo spin like noise, when revving and when idling...
Why did it need this work doing in the first place?
What 'servicing' was actually done, other than the belt change?

Best to go back and keep complaining.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts