2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 62Plate 1.6 iDTEC developed a drone from what appeared to be the NS rear and would come and go at speed. I had heard or read that there is a possibility that the tyres are misshapen causing the noise.

Anyway I had the Pads replaced all round by my local tyre company and the problem seemed to start from there so I took the car in this morning and mentioned this, but also the possibility of a wheel bearing failure (Rare) or the tyres.

The guys there stripped the rear pads both sides re-greased and fitted, no dragging was evident. Check for any grinding and crunching no noise from the bearings. They then checked the tyres and they were the culprit. The tyre tread was still very good on both sides with about 3mm left above the markers but the shape of the tyre around the inner was very bad. I asked the tyre fitter if he could show me what he found and to be honest I was quite shocked. The portion of rubber between the grooves leading to the outer edge of the tyre was the cause, some where higher than others so the rotational speed caused the higher rubber to induce the hum/drone. I can't really understand how a tyre could wear in such a way but he suggested that it could be any of the following:- Poor balancing, lost Balance weight, poor inflation or poor alignment. Inflation is defiantly not an issue as I check regularly and traveling 18K a year I need to.

I'm going back after my holidays to get the tracking fully checked. Had 2 new Michelin Energy tyres fitted and the noise has gone. Result.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Mine does exactly the same. I am going to get the tyres checked. Thanks for posting this!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Are these tyres "cupped" on the inner edge? kind of scalloped out?

I had that once once my Accord rear end.

I had a new wheel bearing (one side only at rear) around that time I think & I also had the tracking done at the time (which was tweaked but OK as far as I recall) changed the tyres & never had the problem again - may have been the tracking or bearing or not, the answer was not definitive to me but for sure if your tyres are cupped they need to be replaced, preferably sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi,

Nothing new its a common issue mine was the same when purchased from a dealer or tho they said it was normal.....:frown2: 2 new rear tyres and the noise has gone :grin2:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Mine have done approx 65k miles anyway so probably worth a look!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts