2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Civic Type S 2.2 has started making a constant high pitched squeal above 15mph, very intermittent. From inside it sounds like a radiator with an air lock, when you turn right it goes away. When the window is down it is really noisy, like metal on metal noise, sounds like train wheels on a train track. It gets noisier when your turn left. I know its not the brakes as I changed them a few months back and have plenty of meat left, I personally think its the EPAS motor, are there any known issues with these?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
does it still make the same noise when you are stationary ?

if it was the EPAS i would have thought the noise would be there moving and stationary

if it's only there while moving it's time to check wheel bearings , CV joints / drive shafts but don't rule out the brakes just because they were changed a few months back

first things first is to jack a wheel of the ground and spin it to see if the noise is there
check for play in the wheel bearing by trying to rock the wheel by gripping the tyre at 9 and 3 oclock and do the same with your hands at 12 and 6 oclock, any play at all needs seeing to
do the same for each wheel
check the state of the CV boots ( inner and outer ) on each drive shaft

my guess would be a sticky caliper or it's time for new back brake pads

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it still make the same noise when you are stationary ?

if it was the EPAS i would have thought the noise would be there moving and stationary

if it's only there while moving it's time to check wheel bearings , CV joints / drive shafts but don't rule out the brakes just because they were changed a few months back

first things first is to jack a wheel of the ground and spin it to see if the noise is there
check for play in the wheel bearing by trying to rock the wheel by gripping the tyre at 9 and 3 oclock and do the same with your hands at 12 and 6 oclock, any play at all needs seeing to
do the same for each wheel
check the state of the CV boots ( inner and outer ) on each drive shaft

my guess would be a sticky caliper or it's time for new back brake pads
I'd think that too but it only starts after few mins driving and brakes would be the same, all the time.

I've had it on jack this afternoon, wheels nice and free, no noises heard, no play nothing. The rear pads were changed a month ago, only thing I can think of is a small stone stuck in rear brakes as rear backing plates were ripped off. I had to change the pads as the old ones got stuck in carrier and worn out on o/s...I have die-grinded the pitted rust off the carrier to prevent it happening again. I will probably get it on the ramp on monday after work and have a look. I will record a video tomorrow too, such an odd noise ive not heard before.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
the thing about sticky calipers is the do tend to show up after a few minutes of driving

i put it down to heat expansion whilst there being used which causes them to start sticking

the typical cause is usually down to pitting on the piston outer surface, to see it you need to look behind the rubber dust cover on the piston, the piston needs to be pushed out a bit so you can have a good look at the outer wall
or the slide pins are seized but they usually cause uneven pad wear rather than sticking pads
corrosion where the pads sit in the caliper can cause squeal sometimes

all worth checking out

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the thing about sticky calipers is the do tend to show up after a few minutes of driving

i put it down to heat expansion whilst there being used which causes them to start sticking

the typical cause is usually down to pitting on the piston outer surface, to see it you need to look behind the rubber dust cover on the piston, the piston needs to be pushed out a bit so you can have a good look at the outer wall
or the slide pins are seized but they usually cause uneven pad wear rather than sticking pads
corrosion where the pads sit in the caliper can cause squeal sometimes

all worth checking out
I think I may of sorted it now, slammed brakes on a few times and noise has gone, so maybe a stone, can see a thin silver line by lip of rear disk. Will take brakes apart and see. Calliper should be okay, it was lovely and free a month ago and i regressed the pins with genuine honda grease. Cheers

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed it, the noise was caused by what is left of the o/s rear backing plate, just bent it out of the way. Also found I have very slight play in o/s front bottom ball joint but its not serious enough to even warranty an MOT advisory.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
i'd get that ball joint replaced as soon as
if you can feel play by hand how do you think it's going to be with over a ton of car pushing it about

bottom ball joint breaks , wheel collapses inwards rips the driveshaft out of the gearbox while the wheel wrecks your wing

how do i know this ??

iv'e had it happen twice, once in an old maxi back in the early 80's ( that one managed to rip the wish bone from the chassis ) next trip for that car, scrapyard
another time in a peugeot 405 SRI which had just had it's clutch changed and the nice mechanic had forgotten to tighten up the bottom ball joint which was quite scary as i'd just done a 150 mile round trip before it decided to let go. it let go at slow speed the next day, i have to say my wife wasn't impressed she was driving it at the time

so call me paranoid if you like but that ball joint would be replaced today

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
They do rattle a LOT before the fail. They can fail, but only normally if you damage them... play is normally safe. Also, it'll get so bad the car WANDERS when driving, before failure...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts